A Little Venting On Riley Hire

ajt1970

Im not a fan of the hire at all. Mainly because I've lived close to Oregon St for over 15 years and I've seen it up close. But with that note I'm no longer going to complain and be hopeful he can turn things around. It's been a long painful decade. For the poster who compared Oregon St to UNK pretty much delusional. Oregon St has had several teams in the last 10-15 years that would've beat Nebraska. Oregon State beat both Wisconsin and UCLA in 2012. Those two were in the loss category for us.

The AD did say at the presser he was not concerned what the fan base opinion were on the new hire, if I recall correctly. They have their man, AD and Harvey that is, plus the regents. I do understand your concerns ajt1970 and not sold either at this point. Looking at Michigan hire of Brady Hoke as a nice HC, a nice guy. I feel we may be in that position down the road ourselves, unless Riley proves me wrong. Mostly I feel how this search took place and how fast it took combined what the AD comments made me even more resentful towards the admin. Did the AD and company lay an egg?!

Welcome to the board.

4951144131_498f19179f_o.gif

Michigan has a problem. They're focused on "a Michigan Man" in every recent search. Its been a failed model from the get-go. You get the best leaders to build or maintain your program, without all the arrogance of demanding they understand the "culture". That culture usually means old rich boosters and alumni making decisions on football that they aren't equipped to make.

Yes, fans want a splash hire of a big name coordinator off an Alabama, FSU type staff - or they want a "Nebraska man" but that's about as closed loop process as you can get. In Riley you got a guy just like Cutcliffe, for example. He will not be arrogant and fitting square pegs in round holes, as some here have correctly point out. He will smash mouth it if that's his talent, and I suspect that will be the case for several years to come. IF he has a QB he can utilize and balance the attack, he can and will do that. I'm loving the hire because Riley didn't chase the hot chick every chance he got. He stayed at a program he loved even if it cost him wins. So what? Now Nebraska will benefit from having a guy that has played in a great conference where he's had limited resources. He's taken limited talent and done pretty well with it. I think he'll be even better with a stable full or 3* and 4* players.

I think the playoff and championship talk is nuts for the first 2-3 years. In order I would: Get back to basics of discipline and character. Compete in big games instead of getting blown out. Start winning some of those big games. Get his players in place (gotta find pro set QB and RB) instead of spread/read option guys. Start punching people in the mouth again. Coach the defense so its assignment sure and tackling in the open field. These are bits and pieces that take some time to get in place.

This is not a deer in headlights Brady Hoke hire. Riley will have a plan, it will start by using what he has - it will morph into what Nebraska needs to win big games. I really think you guys have the players in place, certainly as much as Wisconsin, to win big games. You have lacked the leadership, respect, trust, teamwork stuff that puts a team over the top, in my opinion, at least. Personally (and I'm not a Nebraska alum) but the Frost talk is silly. He's not ready for the job and would be a terrible hire, even as an OC it comes with tremendous risk. Its the same "Michigan Man" mentality that has impeded UM's rebound since the Carr era. You take the best teachers and coaches, not the best ex-alum. I'm excited for Nebraska to get back in the national spotlight which will (along with Michigan and Penn St) tremendously improve the B1G brand.

I never said I wanted a Nebraska man to be HC. Go look on any thread, I have not. You presume I had that in mind, nope. I used Michigan as an example that we may see in this new hire ,if he can not produce in the future, he is gone. As of right now no individual in the media, fan base or UNL can guarantee me, we will be close to winning a CCG or the National championship 4 years from now. Riley says the right thing and does the right things but he has to prove it! Remember the last few HC hires said we are here to win championships, correct? I am not in the camp of WOW! I said nothing of getting a splash hire either. Get a coach hired by a committee in hiring a coach, not an AD and Harvey dream coach hire. Understand what I am saying now?

I am glad you are excited of a change coming for the football program at Nebraska, I really am. A new direction and hope for the future to look forward to but is it the right direction? Or is it because the AD stood there telling you it will be in a pep talk? I reserve the right to wait and see.

so i was cruising in the recruiting section like i do often and i read a couple posts about recruits not being contacted... whats going on... etc... i don't know about NcAA rules and all that but suppose that Riley brings a lot of his old staff in I've got some concerns...

mainly are these guys ready for big time recruiting....okay yeah PAC-12 but everyone said oh its OSU.. they most got 2-3 star guys... not a lot of pressure... here its gonna be a lot different... much more intense focus on getting those national guys.. you think these guys would be up for the challenge.. out of there league.... rookies?? i have no idea... i just hope we get some top notch guys who already have big boy recruiting dialed in

"- I was with it all the way with a Scott Frost hire. There ARE 40 year old first time coordinators who were given the keys to a big time program and succeeded, Osborne being one of them. At least Frost, I think, would appreciate the grit and toughness a QB needs because he was indeed one of them. Probably the toughest, in my opinion. And he could RUN an option...the best in NU’s history, I feel."

So where were you in '93, '94, '95?

T_O_B

Frazier was great..but from a strictly running the ball QB and flipping the ball out on the option standpoint, I'd take Frost over Frazier. Maybe it was the little bit of change in formations NU made from '95 to '97 running out of that double wing set sometimes....whatever it may be...everyone has an opinion. I've watched a lot of gamefilm....my opinion is '97 Frost was better.

The AD did say at the presser he was not concerned what the fan base opinion were on the new hire, if I recall correctly. They have their man, AD and Harvey that is, plus the regents. I do understand your concerns ajt1970 and not sold either at this point. Looking at Michigan hire of Brady Hoke as a nice HC, a nice guy. I feel we may be in that position down the road ourselves, unless Riley proves me wrong. Mostly I feel how this search took place and how fast it took combined what the AD comments made me even more resentful towards the admin. Did the AD and company lay an egg?!

Welcome to the board.

------------------------------

Thanks NebShell. I appreciate that. Yeah, hopefully we who are in more of a wait and see mode will be pleasantly surprised over the next few years. I really hope so. It'll be an interesting season next year, that's for sure. Heck, the spring game will be interesting....extra interesting, as we'll get to see what he has in mind for both sides of the ball. Right now noone really knows.

Several disagreements.

1) Complaining about Riley being a nice guy is non-sense. He shouldn't be punished for being a good representative of your university, more to the point who criticizes someone for being a good person?

- Maybe I didn't word my thoughts correctly. My fault if I did....when I wrote out my post I was shooting from the hip and typing. I probably should've taken more time to spell out exactly what I was saying...but I am certainly not being critical of him for being a nice guy. In fact, that is a quality I really appreciate about him. I can probably sum up what I am saying in these words...I am cautiously optimistic on Riley (especially after doing more research on his background), but I just don't want NU to throw the ball with one of those West Coast offenses. I wanna get back to power and option football with tough running Qbs......and with Riley it didn't seem likely that this would be the direction NU would be headed.

2) If the power 5 coaches rate him right with Cutcliff as the most underrated, explain how you are qualified to critique his ability more than those guys. At what point is there a professional parallel between Brady Hoke and Mike Riley. Mike Riley has taken bottom feeder programs at every level and still been held in high esteem by his peers. He's won big games and made the OSU program respectable. Did Hoke do this at Michigan?

- No, Hoke did nothing at Michigan. I was NEVER a Hoke fan. I couldn't wait for him to get fired. I have no respect for a head coach not tied into the strategy of the game and keeping informed with what is happening by wearing a headset. He refused to wear one...I refused to like him...win or lose. He was a CEO figurehead coach....a glorified cheerleader on the sidelines during the games, clapping his ass off and yeling "let's go!"

3) Mike Riley has already stated, repeatedly, that he will play to the strengths of his team. Sorry, Nebraska is not equipped at this point to be a passing team. Check out his understudy, Paul Chryst. As OC at UW Chryst had among the most explosive and highest scoring offenses in the country. At Pitt, like Bielema at Ark, Chryst is laying the foundation by running the ball, not throwing it. Chryst spent his early years with.....Mike Riley.

- Encouraging. Thanks for that info.!

4) Football is changing, participation rates are way down all across the country. Nebraska, Michigan, Texas, Florida, Miami, USC and others are finding it more difficult to succeed without their two deeps stacked with 5 stars. You know how you solve that problem?you get the smartest guy who is the best teacher of football and hire him. Eichorst accomplished this.

- I hope you're right!

5) Nebraska needs to throw in this era to be good. I am a firm believer in FB's and TE's, it makes the run more powerful and the pass game more diverse/efficient. Riley will do this, Paul Chryst does/did this. 20-25 passes a game is all you need if you are efficient. UW has proven you can throw that many times and still rush for 350 yards a game if you do it right....and bloody your opponents nose in the process.

- FBs and TEs - yes, absolutely! Wingbacks would be great too. And I would certainly take 350 yards runshing per game. In this day and age....hell yeah!

6) I have a deep respect for Nebraska's tradition but as a Badger fan, I have to say, no one is going to be knocking doors down to go to Nebraska any more than they are Florida, Miami, Michigan, USC and others that have failed to adjust their perception of how the football program needs to be re-tooled. Its not a volume/talent game any more. The teachers with resources win - those with just resources and tradition lose.

- good points and I agree. Parity has been the name of the game in college football. This certainly is not the 70's and 80's.

Good stuff. Thanks for the feedback.

- Rileys Offense Right up front, I am power football all the way. I look at NUs offense in the 80s and 90s and can only hope we get back there some day. FB traps, counter treys, speed/dive/G belly options, inside zone, outside stretch, 41/49 pitch, QB draws, etc. Smashmouth, run them over. I look at Wisconsin and Minnesota and see similar ways of running and am completely jealous. Georgia Tech, too. The old days Osborne QBs werent prima donnas either. They were expected to not just drop back and gunsling the ball downfield. They ran the ball (and no sliding or running out of bounds). They blocked. They threw an interception they were expected to tackle the defender. They were tough. They had to be. Osborne would not allow anything less. Now these pass happy QBs (think Peyton manning types) think football is dropping back and throwing it all day. Not what football was meant to be. Its 11-on-11. With a prima donna QB it is 10-on-11. And I have the feeling Rileys offenses will indeed be run by one of these prima donna dont-get-your-fingers-dirty-type QBs, which is a sad disappointment.

I understand the desire to harken back to the good ol days and the ad nauseum repeated 'smash mouth football', but the real problem isn't that we don't have a fullback. It's not that we have prima Donna quarterbacks (I wouldn't mind a 'Peyton Manning' type QB by the way, for obvious reasons)....the problem is and has been the lack of any succinct identity. Alabama doesn't run the option. They do throw quite a bit too. But they have an identity. They do something and they do it well. That's what Riley claims to be about and I like that.

-Agreed on everything...identity, do something really well. Yes. We'll see what that is. I know what I'd like to see.

------------------

- Dont get me wrong, I was in favor of Pelinis dismissal (the embarrassing losses were the tipping point for me), but I think Eichorst went WAY overboard in his search to find a nice guy Bo Pelini-opposite.....and ended up with Riley. Nothing against Riley personally. I can certainly appreciate his personality, reminds me a lot of Osborne. And I know dealing with Riley will make those in the medias jobs much easier and less of a headache than with Pelini. But I just personally dont see NU getting to consistent championships, and getting there by doing it the Nebraska way of rolling up your sleeves and grinding it out, 11-on-11 running the ball offenses with Riley. Maybe Ill be wrong, but I have a feeling in a few years well be having a Brady Hoke ending where the nice guy persona just doesnt cut it anymore.

I'm utterly confused by your point here. Osborne was a nice guy who had tough football teams, but Riley being a nice guy precludes us from being tough?

- as I just mentioned in my post above, I didn't express correctly what I was feeling. Yes, of course teams can be tough with a nice guy coach, ex. Osborne.

------------------

- I was with it all the way with a Scott Frost hire. There ARE 40 year old first time coordinators who were given the keys to a big time program and succeeded, Osborne being one of them. At least Frost, I think, would appreciate the grit and toughness a QB needs because he was indeed one of them. Probably the toughest, in my opinion. And he could RUN an option...the best in NUs history, I feel.

Yes Frost was a good QB for us awhile back. He was tough. You know who else was tough and played for us? Tommie Frazier. Grant Wistrom. Mike Rucker. Barron Miles. Etc. Should we bring them here for an interview?

Not sure if you know this, but Frost would be hired based on the offense he has deployed at Oregon. Which is not exactly of the 'grind it out' variety you seem to want. So once again..I'm a bit confused about why this hire would meet your criteria.

- yes, true, Oregon is not a grind it out. But I was looking at the potential candidate list and Frost, to me, looked like the best one to get us closer to that reality, although a Paul Johnson hire from Georgia Tech would be certainly interesting to me with his triple option attack. That game last night against Florida State was a really great one to watch for a running the ball guy like me.

He did an interview with the Big10 Network and they asked him 'Why Nebraska, why now?' and after trying he literally couldn't come up with the words to even answer the question. I just shook my head.

Let's be fair. He was asked on Monday. He knew it was a great job and should take it. He had not time to think of it. Had to jump and figure out later. The guy has to be in some shock. And let's be realistic: He couldn't say, "I had no idea anybody was interested in me."

He's had enough time to think and bring in assistants from OSU with him...namely, the ones we didn't eat to see him bring.

This hire had the potential to be focused on everything to do with the coordinators, and little about Riley. The choices made for coordinators and position coaches will define this move...and so far, it's looking pretty damn poor.

I'm okay with not getting Frost, as long as we get a good OC with a proven pedigree. I'm okay with retaining some of the position coaches (RB, DL, WR) if they want to stay on...but I'm not okay with Riley giving his underperforming buddies a raise and a defensive coordinator spot, when better choices were available (assuming our AD was truthful when he said money and resources weren't an issue...)

We don't get many more mulligans before we fade into obscurity, not unlike the Minnesotas (until recently) and Notre Dames of the world. I'd hate to waste one on what is becoming an obviously poor choice by Eichorst.

"- I was with it all the way with a Scott Frost hire. There ARE 40 year old first time coordinators who were given the keys to a big time program and succeeded, Osborne being one of them. At least Frost, I think, would appreciate the grit and toughness a QB needs because he was indeed one of them. Probably the toughest, in my opinion. And he could RUN an option...the best in NU’s history, I feel."

So where were you in '93, '94, '95?

T_O_B

Frazier was great..but from a strictly running the ball QB and flipping the ball out on the option standpoint, I'd take Frost over Frazier. Maybe it was the little bit of change in formations NU made from '95 to '97 running out of that double wing set sometimes....whatever it may be...everyone has an opinion. I've watched a lot of gamefilm....my opinion is '97 Frost was better.

You should go watch some more game film. Have always liked 'The Snowman' but he was not Tommie Frazier.

T_O_B

My issues with the Riley hire.....

- It has been mentioned repeatedly in the press that Riley did more with less at OSU. That he had little resources but was an overachiever in recruiting, developing talent, etc. But in thinking about it, there are plenty of examples (both years back and also within the last 15 years or so) of less resourceful schools building themselves up to be winners. TCU, Boise State, Baylor, Mississippi, Miss. State, Michigan State, Utah, Minnesota, Kansas State, Missouri, Colorado (Mccartney era), and even Bob Devaney , turning around NU in the first year! No excuses, these non-powerhouses-at-one-time schools hired the right people and MADE themselves into winners, even without vast resources. So I cannot buy into the fact that OSU did not, and could not obtain, the resources to win. Especially since Riley was there over a longer period of time, plenty of time to at least get the ball rolling. Does anyone really think TCU had the resources a decade or two ago? I doubt it. They hired the right coach and made no excuses and won, period. Look at Bill Snyder when he first got there....KSU was pathetic! Many a program has been turned around with the right coach. So I am not buying it when it is said Riley could not win championships at OSU due to lack of resources. Winners get it done.

- Honeymoon stage is alive and well in Lincoln. I live in Michigan, about 40 minutes from Ann Arbor. Brady Hoke was a media favorite 4 years ago, a real down-to-earth friendly guy, easy for the media to talk to. Eventually though he didn’t get it done and most couldn’t wait to get rid of that non-headset wearing (don’t get me started on that) hand clapping cheerleader at the end.

- Riley’s Offense – Right up front, I am power football all the way. I look at NU’s offense in the 80’s and 90’s and can only hope we get back there some day. FB traps, counter treys, speed/dive/G belly options, inside zone, outside stretch, 41/49 pitch, QB draws, etc. Smashmouth, run them over. I look at Wisconsin and Minnesota and see similar ways of running and am completely jealous. Georgia Tech, too. The old days Osborne QBs weren’t prima donnas either. They were expected to not just drop back and gunsling the ball downfield. They ran the ball (and no sliding or running out of bounds). They blocked. They threw an interception they were expected to tackle the defender. They were tough. They had to be. Osborne would not allow anything less. Now these pass happy QBs (think Peyton manning types) think football is dropping back and throwing it all day. Not what football was meant to be. It’s 11-on-11. With a prima donna QB it is 10-on-11. And I have the feeling Riley’s offenses will indeed be run by one of these prima donna don’t-get-your-fingers-dirty-type QBs, which is a sad disappointment.

- Don’t get me wrong, I was in favor of Pelini’s dismissal (the embarrassing losses were the tipping point for me), but I think Eichorst went WAY overboard in his search to find a “nice guy” Bo Pelini-opposite.....and ended up with Riley. Nothing against Riley personally. I can certainly appreciate his personality, reminds me a lot of Osborne. And I know dealing with Riley will make those in the media’s jobs much easier and less of a headache than with Pelini. But I just personally don’t see NU getting to consistent championships, and getting there by doing it the Nebraska way of rolling up your sleeves and grinding it out, 11-on-11 running the ball offenses with Riley. Maybe I’ll be wrong, but I have a feeling in a few years we’ll be having a Brady Hoke ending where the nice guy persona just doesn’t cut it anymore.

- I was with it all the way with a Scott Frost hire. There ARE 40 year old first time coordinators who were given the keys to a big time program and succeeded, Osborne being one of them. At least Frost, I think, would appreciate the grit and toughness a QB needs because he was indeed one of them. Probably the toughest, in my opinion. And he could RUN an option...the best in NU’s history, I feel.

Anyways, that’s it for now. I just had to get some of these issues and concerns of mine off my chest. I wish NU all the best and hope they can win national championships. I will continue following them either way as I have for the last 30+ years since I was a kid. But I really REALLY hope Riley runs the ball considerably more than he did at OSU. And I think plenty of NU fans would like to see the grind it out smashmouth as well. We’ll see.

We cannot win by the run only. We have to have a quarterback that can pass well and with consistency. Hopefully TO will accept advice and training from his coaches. I've heard he has quite the attitude. (speculation of course). I agree with many on the board that TO will have to earn the position as QB. Like someone else said they show off for the coaches and do not show up for the games (this year especially). I hope Riley mixes it up but leans towards a passing QB that can run too. We haven't had that for I don't know how long????? People can talk in circles but IMHO I believe our QB has to be a strong, fast, quick-thinking guy that can run and through the ball accurately. Just my two cents. As far as Coach Riley, lets give him a chance to prove himself. I'm just saying....

- It has been mentioned repeatedly in the press that Riley did more with less at OSU. That he had little resources but was an overachiever in recruiting, developing talent, etc. But in thinking about it, there are plenty of examples (both years back and also within the last 15 years or so) of less resourceful schools building themselves up to be winners. TCU, Boise State, Baylor, Mississippi, Miss. State, Michigan State, Utah, Minnesota, Kansas State, Missouri, Colorado (Mccartney era), and even Bob Devaney , turning around NU in the first year! No excuses, these non-powerhouses-at-one-time schools hired the right people and MADE themselves into winners, even without vast resources. So I cannot buy into the fact that OSU did not, and could not obtain, the resources to win. Especially since Riley was there over a longer period of time, plenty of time to at least get the ball rolling. Does anyone really think TCU had the resources a decade or two ago? I doubt it. They hired the right coach and made no excuses and won, period. Look at Bill Snyder when he first got there....KSU was pathetic! Many a program has been turned around with the right coach. So I am not buying it when it is said Riley could not win championships at OSU due to lack of resources. Winners get it done.

- Honeymoon stage is alive and well in Lincoln. I live in Michigan, about 40 minutes from Ann Arbor. Brady Hoke was a media favorite 4 years ago, a real down-to-earth friendly guy, easy for the media to talk to. Eventually though he didn’t get it done and most couldn’t wait to get rid of that non-headset wearing (don’t get me started on that) hand clapping cheerleader at the end.

- Riley’s Offense – Right up front, I am power football all the way. I look at NU’s offense in the 80’s and 90’s and can only hope we get back there some day. FB traps, counter treys, speed/dive/G belly options, inside zone, outside stretch, 41/49 pitch, QB draws, etc. Smashmouth, run them over. I look at Wisconsin and Minnesota and see similar ways of running and am completely jealous. Georgia Tech, too. The old days Osborne QBs weren’t prima donnas either. They were expected to not just drop back and gunsling the ball downfield. They ran the ball (and no sliding or running out of bounds). They blocked. They threw an interception they were expected to tackle the defender. They were tough. They had to be. Osborne would not allow anything less. Now these pass happy QBs (think Peyton manning types) think football is dropping back and throwing it all day. Not what football was meant to be. It’s 11-on-11. With a prima donna QB it is 10-on-11. And I have the feeling Riley’s offenses will indeed be run by one of these prima donna don’t-get-your-fingers-dirty-type QBs, which is a sad disappointment.

- Don’t get me wrong, I was in favor of Pelini’s dismissal (the embarrassing losses were the tipping point for me), but I think Eichorst went WAY overboard in his search to find a “nice guy” Bo Pelini-opposite.....and ended up with Riley. Nothing against Riley personally. I can certainly appreciate his personality, reminds me a lot of Osborne. And I know dealing with Riley will make those in the media’s jobs much easier and less of a headache than with Pelini. But I just personally don’t see NU getting to consistent championships, and getting there by doing it the Nebraska way of rolling up your sleeves and grinding it out, 11-on-11 running the ball offenses with Riley. Maybe I’ll be wrong, but I have a feeling in a few years we’ll be having a Brady Hoke ending where the nice guy persona just doesn’t cut it anymore.

- I was with it all the way with a Scott Frost hire. There ARE 40 year old first time coordinators who were given the keys to a big time program and succeeded, Osborne being one of them. At least Frost, I think, would appreciate the grit and toughness a QB needs because he was indeed one of them. Probably the toughest, in my opinion. And he could RUN an option...the best in NU’s history, I feel.

Anyways, that’s it for now. I just had to get some of these issues and concerns of mine off my chest. I wish NU all the best and hope they can win national championships. I will continue following them either way as I have for the last 30+ years since I was a kid. But I really REALLY hope Riley runs the ball considerably more than he did at OSU. And I think plenty of NU fans would like to see the grind it out smashmouth as well. We’ll see.

I totally agree. I think fans who think Riley is a good fit, is absolutely delusional. He's been at OSU now for 14 years. If you haven't built a team up within that time, then what makes you think he's going to do any better at Nebraska. I also don't buy the fact that he will have better resources. As mentioned, there are plenty of coaches who built a no name school into winners. It will be a long, long, Riley era.

- Honeymoon stage is alive and well in Lincoln. I live in Michigan, about 40 minutes from Ann Arbor. Brady Hoke was a media favorite 4 years ago, a real down-to-earth friendly guy, easy for the media to talk to. Eventually though he didnt get it done and most couldnt wait to get rid of that non-headset wearing (dont get me started on that) hand clapping cheerleader at the end.

- Rileys Offense Right up front, I am power football all the way. I look at NUs offense in the 80s and 90s and can only hope we get back there some day. FB traps, counter treys, speed/dive/G belly options, inside zone, outside stretch, 41/49 pitch, QB draws, etc. Smashmouth, run them over. I look at Wisconsin and Minnesota and see similar ways of running and am completely jealous. Georgia Tech, too. The old days Osborne QBs werent prima donnas either. They were expected to not just drop back and gunsling the ball downfield. They ran the ball (and no sliding or running out of bounds). They blocked. They threw an interception they were expected to tackle the defender. They were tough. They had to be. Osborne would not allow anything less. Now these pass happy QBs (think Peyton manning types) think football is dropping back and throwing it all day. Not what football was meant to be. Its 11-on-11. With a prima donna QB it is 10-on-11. And I have the feeling Rileys offenses will indeed be run by one of these prima donna dont-get-your-fingers-dirty-type QBs, which is a sad disappointment.

- Dont get me wrong, I was in favor of Pelinis dismissal (the embarrassing losses were the tipping point for me), but I think Eichorst went WAY overboard in his search to find a nice guy Bo Pelini-opposite.....and ended up with Riley. Nothing against Riley personally. I can certainly appreciate his personality, reminds me a lot of Osborne. And I know dealing with Riley will make those in the medias jobs much easier and less of a headache than with Pelini. But I just personally dont see NU getting to consistent championships, and getting there by doing it the Nebraska way of rolling up your sleeves and grinding it out, 11-on-11 running the ball offenses with Riley. Maybe Ill be wrong, but I have a feeling in a few years well be having a Brady Hoke ending where the nice guy persona just doesnt cut it anymore.

- I was with it all the way with a Scott Frost hire. There ARE 40 year old first time coordinators who were given the keys to a big time program and succeeded, Osborne being one of them. At least Frost, I think, would appreciate the grit and toughness a QB needs because he was indeed one of them. Probably the toughest, in my opinion. And he could RUN an option...the best in NUs history, I feel.

Anyways, thats it for now. I just had to get some of these issues and concerns of mine off my chest. I wish NU all the best and hope they can win national championships. I will continue following them either way as I have for the last 30+ years since I was a kid. But I really REALLY hope Riley runs the ball considerably more than he did at OSU. And I think plenty of NU fans would like to see the grind it out smashmouth as well. Well see.

I totally agree. I think fans who think Riley is a good fit, is absolutely delusional. He's been at OSU now for 14 years. If you haven't built a team up within that time, then what makes you think he's going to do any better at Nebraska. I also don't buy the fact that he will have better resources. As mentioned, there are plenty of coaches who built a no name school into winners. It will be a long, long, Riley era.
Name another school that is comparable to OSU but has achieved great success? Let me disqualify some for you.

Boise State- MID MAJOR, they don't do squat in the PAC12.

KSU- Snyder is one of the greatest team builders ever. Doesn't hurt that happens to be located in the heart of most likely the best JUCO conference in the entire country.

Miami- located in a high population state who also happens to produce AMAZING football talent.

TCU and Baylor- again located in a talent hotbed. Doesn't hurt that Texas has been swirling down the drain for the last few years allowing them to poach some high end talent in the area.

If you can find me a power 5 school that has beat as many high profile teams while playing 2nd fiddle to an instate rival 40 miles away in an area that arguably has poorer talent in the 500 mile radius than Nebraska I would love to hear it. Not to mention has a recruiting budget of less than 300k

• Fire 2

- Honeymoon stage is alive and well in Lincoln. I live in Michigan, about 40 minutes from Ann Arbor. Brady Hoke was a media favorite 4 years ago, a real down-to-earth friendly guy, easy for the media to talk to. Eventually though he didnt get it done and most couldnt wait to get rid of that non-headset wearing (dont get me started on that) hand clapping cheerleader at the end.

Anyways, thats it for now. I just had to get some of these issues and concerns of mine off my chest. I wish NU all the best and hope they can win national championships. I will continue following them either way as I have for the last 30+ years since I was a kid. But I really REALLY hope Riley runs the ball considerably more than he did at OSU. And I think plenty of NU fans would like to see the grind it out smashmouth as well. Well see.

Name another school that is comparable to OSU but has achieved great success? Let me disqualify some for you.

Boise State- MID MAJOR, they don't do squat in the PAC12.

KSU- Snyder is one of the greatest team builders ever. Doesn't hurt that happens to be located in the heart of most likely the best JUCO conference in the entire country.

Miami- located in a high population state who also happens to produce AMAZING football talent.

TCU and Baylor- again located in a talent hotbed. Doesn't hurt that Texas has been swirling down the drain for the last few years allowing them to poach some high end talent in the area.

If you can find me a power 5 school that has beat as many high profile teams while playing 2nd fiddle to an instate rival 40 miles away in an area that arguably has poorer talent in the 500 mile radius than Nebraska I would love to hear it. Not to mention has a recruiting budget of less than 300k

Couldn't have said it better myself HL.

T_O_B