Disappointed with all the negativity

Beemer13

As people want to keep bringing up the record for the last few years at OSU, lets take a look at those seasons and records. Rankings are the rankings at the time the game was played, remember that the PAC12 plays a 9 game conference slate. Here is all of it during Pelini's tenure at Nebraska.

2014 - Not a great final result, at 5-7, though that is a pretty tough sched.

Wins

Portland State, @Hawaii, San Diego in the non-con, @Colorado, #6 Arizona State.

Losses

@#18 USC, #20 Utah in 2OT, @Stanford, Cal, WSU, @Washington, #2 Oregon.

2013 - 7-6, with the ugly FCS loss to open the season. The fact that there is a game AT San Diego State says something about where OSU is positioned.

Wins

Hawaii, @Utah, @San Diego State, Colorado, @WSU, @Cal, vs Boise in the bowl game.

Losses

Eastern Washington, #8 Stanford, USC, @21 Arizona State, Washington, @12 Oregon.

2012 - 9-4. Same record we had that year, but I would say a better overall result.

Wins

Nichols State, #13 Wisconsin, @#18 UCLA, @ Arizona, WSU, @BYU, Utah, Arizona State, Cal

Losses

@Washington, @16 Stanford, #5 Oregon, vs #19 Texas in the bowl.

2011 - 3-9. The year that will scare people the most.

Wins

Arizona, WSU, Washington.

Losses

Sacramento State, @8 Wisconsin, Ucla, @25 Arizona State, BYU, @Utah, #4 Stanford, @Cal, @9 Oregon.

2010 - 5-7. Another rough record, but that sched is brutal.

Wins

Louisville, Arizona State, @#9 Arizona, Cal, #20 USC

Losses

VS #6 TCU, @#3 Boise, @Washington, @UCLA, WSU, @#7Cal, #1 Oregon.

2009 - 8-5.

Wins

Portland State, UNLV, @Arizona State, Stanford, UCLA, @#23 Cal, Washington, @WSU.

Losses

#17 Cincy, Arizona, @#4 USC, @#7 Oregon, #12 BYU in the bowl.

2008 - 9-4.

Wins

Hawaii, #1 USC, WSU, Washington, Arizona State, @UCLA, Cal, @ Arizona, vs Pitt in the bowl.

Losses

@Stanford, @#19 Penn State, @#15 Utah, #19 Oregon.

There are a number of take aways. One is that Oregon has been something they have not been able to get past, but over the same time frame, Oregon has pretty much had the PAC12's number in general. There are a crapload of ranked teams on those scheds. They have tended to have a schedule that dramatically outspends and out recruits them. There are a number of those years where they dramatically outperformed their talent level, and some where they were right inline with what their talent level said they should finish with. The run is highlighted by bigger wins than we have seen here since 2001, and some lows that we have never experienced. It's full of positives and negatives in general wins and losses, and it will be interesting to see what happens when Riley is not at the bottom of the talent levels. Of the regular conference teams through this run, almost all of them, historically recruit better than OSU.

• Fire 2

Saban and Meyer would have no problem recruiting to Nebraska. If Saban can recruit to Tuscaloosa he could recruit to Lincoln, and Meyer could do the same.

Weather alone hurts Nebraska (I cringe when we get recruits coming in past October)... proximity to parents is another (yes, most of the talent is in the south/southeast/west coast)... Ohio State and Michigan/Michigan State benefit to some extent, because they sit within their own large pool of talent (20+ million population between the two of them, not to speak of the immediate region).

We are on an island out here.

Zoogs, if it's a minority, then why are the numbers on this boards poll 2~1 that he wasn't our best option? [/size]

... because there are a lot of idiots on this forum... Tressel was a fantasy... and Frost would have been a huge gamble. At least Bo had considerable experience in the role of DC. Frost is still on Helfrich's short leash. He's little more than the Papuchis of Oregon (albeit with a much better mentor).

I'm sorry, while we have the fortune of a few decades of great history (you know, Minnesota once had that too, before most of us were born)... we're no Alabama or Ohio State. There's no Saban or Meyer who's going to come on board here, because they know they can't recruit to the level they need to easily win here.

That said, Riley has done some noteworthy things, with a team which is another notch, or two... below where we are, in terms of recruiting appeal alone.

I would FAR rather see an experienced coaching staff (far more experienced than Bo/company), one which has so much respect, they were even considered by a number of elite programs, one which HAS won games against top 10 opponents, with inferior talent, a history of identifying/developing that inferior talent into NFL drafts, etc... I would much rather see them come on board at Nebraska.

They could be a flop... every new hire is a crap shoot. But I like the odds way better, than some of the numb skull suggestions that so many have suggested here.

Now Riley is going to bring on/retain the guys he's comfortable with, thinks can get the job done. I'm pretty certain, he knows far more in what to look for in terms of qualified candidates, than anyone here. I suggest everyone buckle up, take it all in, and hang on for the ride.. all the whining/complaining/second guessing in the world, isn't going to change the outcome.

Great post... +1.

Assembling a staff is tough. It's not just as simple as hiring the best recruiter at each position. You assemble dream teams in between seasons in free agency on your Xbox. In real life, Riley probably isn't comfortable hiring a lot of guys if he doesn't know even if they are fantastic coaches. The guy DOES have to assemble a staff with some semblance of chemistry, after all. He needs like minded guys working towards the same goal.

Very excited about our new coach!

Which is exactly what BO. did I would rather have a proven track record at the highest level attainable.

Zoogs, if it's a minority, then why are the numbers on this boards poll 2~1 that he wasn't our best option? [/size]

... because there are a lot of idiots on this forum... Tressel was a fantasy... and Frost would have been a huge gamble. At least Bo had considerable experience in the role of DC. Frost is still on Helfrich's short leash. He's little more than the Papuchis of Oregon (albeit with a much better mentor).

I'm sorry, while we have the fortune of a few decades of great history (you know, Minnesota once had that too, before most of us were born)... we're no Alabama or Ohio State. There's no Saban or Meyer who's going to come on board here, because they know they can't recruit to the level they need to easily win here.

That said, Riley has done some noteworthy things, with a team which is another notch, or two... below where we are, in terms of recruiting appeal alone.

I would FAR rather see an experienced coaching staff (far more experienced than Bo/company), one which has so much respect, they were even considered by a number of elite programs, one which HAS won games against top 10 opponents, with inferior talent, a history of identifying/developing that inferior talent into NFL drafts, etc... I would much rather see them come on board at Nebraska.

They could be a flop... every new hire is a crap shoot. But I like the odds way better, than some of the numb skull suggestions that so many have suggested here.

Now Riley is going to bring on/retain the guys he's comfortable with, thinks can get the job done. I'm pretty certain, he knows far more in what to look for in terms of qualified candidates, than anyone here. I suggest everyone buckle up, take it all in, and hang on for the ride.. all the whining/complaining/second guessing in the world, isn't going to change the outcome.

Great post... +1.

Assembling a staff is tough. It's not just as simple as hiring the best recruiter at each position. You assemble dream teams in between seasons in free agency on your Xbox. In real life, Riley probably isn't comfortable hiring a lot of guys if he doesn't know even if they are fantastic coaches. The guy DOES have to assemble a staff with some semblance of chemistry, after all. He needs like minded guys working towards the same goal.

Which is exactly what BO. did I would rather have a proven track record at the highest level attainable.
There's a difierence between building a staff of legitimate D1 coaches and pulling guys from high schools/coaching golf/promoting GAs.

Great post... +1.

There's a difierence between building a staff of legitimate D1 coaches and pulling guys from high schools/coaching golf/promoting GAs.

I was kinda exaggerating to make a point, did he not say we will surround these kids with the best or at least allude to that, a few of these guys look good but hardly proven with the record they have put out there especially lately. It didn't look they were overachieving anymore, and with a possibility of people with better track records possibly interested i am disappointed if it turns out to be just another ham and egg squad.

I feel out of place, being one of not many Husker fans who knew about Mike Riley. Which is mostly due to having a friend that went to OSU. He always gushed over Riley and talked about how well he would do at a big time program. I hope he's right.

I don't get this?

Most knowledgeable fan-base in college football? Huh?

I've been shocked that about only 20% of the people on here know about Mike Riley. He was only the coach of the Chargers 15 years ago...he was on everyone's top 3 list in coaching hires 10 years ago.

Is everyone on this board 7 years old??????

Typically when the "most knowledgeable fans" phrase gets tossed around, it is in regard to things like strategy and team depth. Talking to lots of Nebraska fans over the years, about half of them never watch any non-Nebraska games, and their knowledge of the college football landscape primarily comes from long standing reputations of programs, and what they see from in game highlights. Add in that Pac12 games often start after the older people have been in bed for a couple of hours, the ignorance is easy to understand.

Its the unwillingness to learn and change ideas that is the aggravating part.

You gotta love the box score analyst.

Great post... +1.

I was kinda exaggerating to make a point, did he not say we will surround these kids with the best or at least allude to that, a few of these guys look good but hardly proven with the record they have put out there especially lately. It didn't look they were overachieving anymore, and with a possibility of people with better track records possibly interested i am disappointed if it turns out to be just another ham and egg squad.
I wholeheartedly agree we should aim high. I think Coach Riley should sit him down, make no bones about what is and is not tolerated when recruiting to NU, and hire Coach O. If he's truly interested, hire Steele. Those are the only two high-profile names I have heard bandied about, aside from the pipe dream that is Frost.

But who knows how Riley defines "best." Just because some of theses guys coached at Corvallis does not mean they can't be fantastic coaches. Bray appears to be that to me, and Brennan coached up the Biletnikoff winner last year and many other impressive WRs before him. I question how much of the complaining from OSU fans was purely due to coaching and how much was inadequate talent.

I guess my point is that I for one trust Riley knows what he wants in his assistants. We should at least let him officially build his staff before we start the full-scale indictment that we didn't make the effort.

Great post... +1.

I wholeheartedly agree we should aim high. I think Coach Riley should sit him down, make no bones about what is and is not tolerated when recruiting to NU, and hire Coach O. If he's truly interested, hire Steele. Those are the only two high-profile names I have heard bandied about, aside from the pipe dream that is Frost.

But who knows how Riley defines "best." Just because some of theses guys coached at Corvallis does not mean they can't be fantastic coaches. Bray appears to be that to me, and Brennan coached up the Biletnikoff winner last year and many other impressive WRs before him. I question how much of the complaining from OSU fans was purely due to coaching and how much was inadequate talent.

I guess my point is that I for one trust Riley knows what he wants in his assistants. We should at least let him officially build his staff before we start the full-scale indictment that we didn't make the effort.

absolutely agree, it just doesn't look like it is trending that way we shall see.

Good input folks. Thanks for all the comments. I admit I was as shocked as everyone with the Riley hire. I looked at his record and scratched my head. I wanted Bo gone at halftime of the Wisconsin game. For me, it was painful to watch that game. I shut it off in the 3Rd quarter. I hate to see my Huskers lose, but i hate even more the image of our coach stopmping around the sidelines screaming at players, refs, and asst. coaches. The fact that after every flag or big play the cameras were trained on Pelini, waiting for the meltdown. I mentioned my age because its important that I grew up watching a coach and the entire program conduct themselves with dignity and respect. I think that had a lot to do with how successful our program was in general. Other teams wanted to be like Nebraska, other fans gushed about their experience at Memorial Stadium, we were the standard. A program tends to take on the attitude of its leaders. The last 15 years has been tough and I think as a fanbase we have sort of forgotten what makes this place so special.

I'm excited about what Mike Riley brings to us and why I think SE went after him. He is the antithesis of the last 2 coaches and he does with less. We have the money to bring in a quality staff that will develop underappreciated talent and turn them into great athletes. If that happens then we have replicated the formula that Tom Osborne mastered and that we as fans were so proud of. I dont expect to win every game or get a trophy every year, but if we can be competitive and do it with class, I will be a happy Husker. Heres hoping Shawn got it right.

Excellent post Beemer! Wish you would post more often

It shouldn't have to be stated but the negativity is ugly, counter productive, and completely contrary to the 'Nebraska Way'.

There is a huge upgrade in coaching talent of Riley's crew over that of Bo's crew.

NU fans were sold on a false premise and delusions of grandeur - we are all guilty. Reality says there was never anyone else in play yet we all wanted to believe that if it wasn't Tressel, it'd be Patterson, if not him then someone else from a common list of A-list names.

Well the reality of it Riley gives us what we are looking for in terms of both coaching ability as well as national respect and attention.

A poster on HuskerMax wrote a great post on the issue of Riley's coaching strategy and philosophy. It should be mandatory reading for ALL fans. I will post the link (if that is allowed). If that isn't allowed, I apologize (I am new here) and you'll have to find the post yourself. It is titled "Mike Riley Nike Coach of the Year Clinic Talk (2013)". Its worth the time to read and it should answer any fan's fear of Riley and where he will take NU: http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/showthread.php?69099-Mike-Riley-Nike-Coach-of-the-Year-Clinic-Talk-(2013)

Hopefully, the negative fans get it out of their systems, see the big picture, and give 100% support from Springball on...

That sounds great, hope we can do all that.........still don't get why the obsession with positive and negative fans? Our attitude will follow what we see on the field. Do you think we should keep a positive attitude if we lose 3 of the first 6 games? Do you think my attitude will cause us to win all those games? We didn't hire the guy, had nothing to do with the decision.....why is our attitude so important? Personally I like the guy and it sounds like he knows a thing or two. Are donors bailing? Could you clue us in why newbs with 10 posts keep showing up lecturing us on our attitude?

Allow this newb to clarify! I am new here. After Pelini got fired I was so hungry for news, so anxious to see what others were saying I searched and found this site. I immediately became a member, desperately wanting to converse with other Husker fans that were concerned about the program, excited about who the new coach would be, how the players were reacting, how it would affect recruits, etc., etc. Just because I'm new to this site does not mean I don't have an opinion, so please, show some respect.

In terms of the negativity I reference in my post, it isn't just this site, I have other sites I belong to as well. Not to mention social media, i.e., Facebook and Twitter. In general I have seen and heard some of the craziest stuff from people who say they are a Husker fan, and being the fan I am I began to wonder why. It's like one poster on here said, it wouldn't matter if we hired God as our HC and Jesus and his disciples as his staff, some people would still bitch and moan. I was really just stating my opinion, not lecturing, but I do have 2 teenage kids so maybe I'm starting to come off as a lecturer all the time now. :)

At any rate, thank you for your comments and for following this thread.

It shouldn't have to be stated but the negativity is ugly, counter productive, and completely contrary to the 'Nebraska Way'.

There is a huge upgrade in coaching talent of Riley's crew over that of Bo's crew.

NU fans were sold on a false premise and delusions of grandeur - we are all guilty. Reality says there was never anyone else in play yet we all wanted to believe that if it wasn't Tressel, it'd be Patterson, if not him then someone else from a common list of A-list names.

Well the reality of it Riley gives us what we are looking for in terms of both coaching ability as well as national respect and attention.

A poster on HuskerMax wrote a great post on the issue of Riley's coaching strategy and philosophy. It should be mandatory reading for ALL fans. I will post the link (if that is allowed). If that isn't allowed, I apologize (I am new here) and you'll have to find the post yourself. It is titled "Mike Riley Nike Coach of the Year Clinic Talk (2013)". Its worth the time to read and it should answer any fan's fear of Riley and where he will take NU: http://forum.huskermax.com/vbbs/showthread.php?69099-Mike-Riley-Nike-Coach-of-the-Year-Clinic-Talk-(2013)

Hopefully, the negative fans get it out of their systems, see the big picture, and give 100% support from Springball on...

That sounds great, hope we can do all that.........still don't get why the obsession with positive and negative fans? Our attitude will follow what we see on the field. Do you think we should keep a positive attitude if we lose 3 of the first 6 games? Do you think my attitude will cause us to win all those games? We didn't hire the guy, had nothing to do with the decision.....why is our attitude so important? Personally I like the guy and it sounds like he knows a thing or two. Are donors bailing? Could you clue us in why newbs with 10 posts keep showing up lecturing us on our attitude?

Allow this newb to clarify! I am new here. After Pelini got fired I was so hungry for news, so anxious to see what others were saying I searched and found this site. I immediately became a member, desperately wanting to converse with other Husker fans that were concerned about the program, excited about who the new coach would be, how the players were reacting, how it would affect recruits, etc., etc. Just because I'm new to this site does not mean I don't have an opinion, so please, show some respect.

In terms of the negativity I reference in my post, it isn't just this site, I have other sites I belong to as well. Not to mention social media, i.e., Facebook and Twitter. In general I have seen and heard some of the craziest stuff from people who say they are a Husker fan, and being the fan I am I began to wonder why. It's like one poster on here said, it wouldn't matter if we hired God as our HC and Jesus and his disciples as his staff, some people would still bitch and moan. I was really just stating my opinion, not lecturing, but I do have 2 teenage kids so maybe I'm starting to come off as a lecturer all the time now. :)

At any rate, thank you for your comments and for following this thread.

Much like Beemer, I came to this board during the coaching search after finding it much more substantive, logical, and comedic than other options. Having been somewhere else for a long while, I am happy to be here. My earlier post was not meant to lecture anyone.

After the Bo's buddies and Cos before them, I understand the apprehension over a HC hiring his trusted friend/s. I just believe attitude is important. Important to an organization from as much the bottom up, as the top down. That doesn't call for kool-aid drinking or ignoring facts, it just begs for an open opportunity, an even chance to see a thing through.

My post didn't intend to call anyone out here, I was just speaking to the overall negativity that one can find out there in which, like Beemer said, even The Good Lord himself would have a difficult time convincing anyone of his merits.

GBR!

• Fire 1