Banker Defensive Philosophy

Mavric

Here's where I'm hopeful with Banker's defensive philosophy. The last few years, these are the defensive ranks for Banker & for Bo:

NU - 63rd

OSU - 89th

NU - 64th

OSU - 101st

NU - 90th

OSU - 27th

NU - 56th

OSU - 98th

NU - 78th

OSU - 52nd

Bit of a mixed bag. Oregon State was better than Nebraska a couple of years, worse a couple of years.

But those were with the "Jimmies & Joes" available in Corvallis. Banker's scheme should work better at Nebraska based on the upgrade in personnel alone. This Husker team has more individual talent than any defense Banker had at Oregon State.

A guarantee? Hardly. But there's reason to hope.

Why not go back two more years to get Pelini's entire 7 year tenure?

Here's where I'm hopeful with Banker's defensive philosophy. The last few years, these are the defensive ranks for Banker & for Bo:

NU - 63rd

OSU - 89th

NU - 64th

OSU - 101st

NU - 90th

OSU - 27th

NU - 56th

OSU - 98th

NU - 78th

OSU - 52nd

Bit of a mixed bag. Oregon State was better than Nebraska a couple of years, worse a couple of years.

But those were with the "Jimmies & Joes" available in Corvallis. Banker's scheme should work better at Nebraska based on the upgrade in personnel alone. This Husker team has more individual talent than any defense Banker had at Oregon State.

it was not relevant.

Here's where I'm hopeful with Banker's defensive philosophy. The last few years, these are the defensive ranks for Banker & for Bo:2010

NU - 63rd

OSU - 89th

NU - 64th

OSU - 101st

NU - 90th

OSU - 27th

NU - 56th

OSU - 98th

NU - 78th

OSU - 52nd

because 2010 is when Oregon st started to go downhill while we remained stagnantly the same. Its makes for a more intriging comparison for the sake of this discussion.

NU - 63rd

OSU - 89th

NU - 64th

OSU - 101st

NU - 90th

OSU - 27th

NU - 56th

OSU - 98th

NU - 78th

OSU - 52nd

Because in 2008 & 2009 Pelini was coaching Callahan's recruits and he was coaching in a league we're not in anymore.

If you want to go pull Pelini's first two years' stats be my guest, but it'll likely bolster the point that without a Suh-like player, a once-in-a-generation player, Bo's schemes do not work.

I can't remember off the top of my head what our ranks were in 2008. They were stellar in 2009. They've tanked since 2009, and despite 100% turnover in starting lineup from 2010 to 2014, we're still getting embarrassed on the ground, with Bo as defensive mastermind and Bo's schemes the only constant.

I'm not sure what pulling those two years would show other than that.

• Fire 1

Gotcha. Straight yardage then most likely. Maybe I'll look into it a bit more tomorrow

But I do tend to agree with you that it seems that he did a fairly good job with not much at OSU...not that this guarantees success here, but it's sure a reason to hope

NU - 63rd

OSU - 89th

NU - 64th

OSU - 101st

NU - 90th

OSU - 27th

NU - 56th

OSU - 98th

NU - 78th

OSU - 52nd

Because in 2008 & 2009 Pelini was coaching Callahan's recruits and he was coaching in a league we're not in anymore.

If you want to go pull Pelini's first two years' stats be my guest, but it'll likely bolster the point that without a Suh-like player, a once-in-a-generation player, Bo's schemes do not work.

I can't remember off the top of my head what our ranks were in 2008. They were stellar in 2009. They've tanked since 2009, and despite 100% turnover in starting lineup from 2010 to 2014, we're still getting embarrassed on the ground, with Bo as defensive mastermind and Bo's schemes the only constant.

They might say Pelini's stats were better 5 of 7 years.......so what would that say about Banker's schemes since Pelini's do not work?

NU - 63rd

OSU - 89th

NU - 64th

OSU - 101st

NU - 90th

OSU - 27th

NU - 56th

OSU - 98th

NU - 78th

OSU - 52nd

They might say Pelini's stats were better 5 of 7 years.......so what would that say about Banker's schemes since Pelini's do not work?

banker's might work better than pelini's if given the talent of pelini's teams and pelini's schedule.

NU - 63rd

OSU - 89th

NU - 64th

OSU - 101st

NU - 90th

OSU - 27th

NU - 56th

OSU - 98th

NU - 78th

OSU - 52nd

They might also show that some of Pelini's Defenses were absolutely LOADED with NFL talent, and Banker's were not. 2009 had over half the starters make NFL rosters. So the "Jimmies and the Joes" are the decider there. I don't think scheme would have mattered much with all that talent.

I actually DO tend to think that had we stayed in the Big 12, Bo's defenses would have been a lot better. Bo's defensive style was perfectly suited to the style of spread-out offense the Big 12 loves.

But maybe that's just tschu drinking on a Friday night, still upset about how much of a dogshit move it was to move to the Big Ten. :(

Nah, Bo would have had better defensive success in the Big 12, I'm sure of it.

I actually DO tend to think that had we stayed in the Big 12, Bo's defenses would have been a lot better. Bo's defensive style was perfectly suited to the style of spread-out offense the Big 12 loves.

But maybe that's just tschu drinking on a Friday night, still upset about how much of a dogshit move it was to move to the Big Ten. :(

Nah, Bo would have had better defensive success in the Big 12, I'm sure of it.

i agree as well. Always thought this.

I agree, tschu. Bo's defenses were great against those offenses.

I disagree about the Big Ten move, though. The Big XII is a foetid stew of Texas effluvium. I don't miss it one bit, and I'm far happier playing teams like Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Ohio State and Wisconsin than the trailer trash in our old conference.

• Fire 2