Lincoln Tecmo V - 16 Best Huskers

What: Lincoln Tecmo V, a "Super Tecmo Bowl" tournament

Where: Barry's Bar and Grill, 235 N. Ninth St.

When: Jan. 10; check-in begins at 11 a.m., and tourney play starts at 11:45 a.m.

Cost: $20 at the event; payouts for top three finishers

1. Mike Rozier, Running Back, Atlanta (58) -- The former Heisman trophy winner with his 50 max speed is the workhorse for the Falcons' offense when your mediocre QBs aren't attempting to feed the ball to superstar Andre Rison. Rozier will need every pixel of that speed running behind a makeshift Falcons O-line.

2. Tom Rathman, RB, San Francisco (47) -- Rathman is among a handful of running backs blessed with hitting power (HP). His 94 HP allows him to "popcorn" weaker defensive players, a phenomenon where the defender is immediately thrown to the ground. This power also makes him an elite kick returner, where his overall lack of speed isn't a factor. Throw in some Louis Lipps-level receiving attributes and you get another weapon in the 49ers' top-rated offense.

3. Roger Craig, RB, SF (59) -- Craig is essentially the same player in the game as Rozier, though he's a change-of-pace in an offense where Joe Montana throws and throws to Jerry Rice, John Taylor and Brent Jones. Craig gets to run behind a powerful O-line and Rathman on the occasions you feel like running.

4. Irving Fryar, WR, New England (59) -- The 1990 New England Patriots were a dreadful team, and Tecmo made them a virtual doormat, too. Your best option besides fan favorite Marv Cook is a fairly slow Fryar and his 63 receptions rating. You might want to bring in backup Marc Wilson to lob balls to Fryar, because starter Steve Grogan rates 56th out of 56 QBs in the game.

5. Neil Smith, Left End, Kansas City (72) -- Smith is the highest-rated defensive player on the list for being the fastest former Husker defensive player, though you probably won't play as him a lot. The Chiefs are blessed with several faster defensive players, including monster linebacker Derrick Thomas.

6. Ken Clark, RB, Indianapolis (46) -- While slow like everyone else on the Colts, Clark, you can argue, should start over Ivy Joe Hunter because of slightly better speed.

7. Danny Noonan, Nose Tackle, Dallas (60) - Noonan isn’t blessed with speed (25) or hitting power (50) in this game, but his position on the field allows you to use him for what is called a “nose tackle dive." On a pass play after the QB snaps the ball, the NT can move forward and dive, often immediately sacking the QB. This is considered dirtier than the "cold feet caused me to stomp on legs" excuse. (Cory Matteson may have written that last sentence.)

8. Brian Washington, Strong Safety, New York Jets (56) -- Brian is an average-speed safety with average interceptions. He’s probably your fourth-best option on the Jets' D but should come up with the occasional drone interception.

9. Broderick Thomas, Left Outside Linebacker, Tampa Bay (50) -- The Sandman is the fastest Tampa LB, which doesn’t count for much because the crew is one of the worst in the game.

10. Marc Munford, Left Inside Linebacker, Denver (47) -- Not only did the good programmers at Tecmo make Marc the slowest LB on the Broncos, they also gave him a blonde mustache. The majority of his highlights on Tecmo these days involve being mentioned in poorly constructed "Munford and Sons" puns.

11. Jim Skow, Right End, TB (46) -- The right end typically isn’t a popular position to control, and Skow is another member of a dismal Tampa Bay defense. Because of a fluky season in which he returned four interceptions for TDs, the Tampa Bay defense begins and ends with Wayne Haddix.

12. Dean Steinkuhler, Right Tackle, Houston (56) -- Dean is a decent lineman. The most interesting aspect of him is that Tecmo programmed the kick returner to use the max speed of the lineman, which is why the returners for New Orleans or Pittsburgh seem so fast. Unfortunately for the Oilers, Dean wasn’t blessed with much speed.

13. Brian “B.” Blankenship, Left Guard, Pittsburgh (65) -- Blankenship is an average lineman on a fairly good Steelers’ line. Given his long last name, Tecmo had to abbreviate his first name to save space.

14. Richard Bell, RB, Pittsburgh (42) -- The Steelers have the second-slowest starting running back in the game. Bell happens to be slower than the other three guys on the roster, which means he’s only coming in during a condition change to good or excellent.

15. Bill Lewis, Center, Phoenix (54) -- Lewis was given the hitting power of an average running back to fight off defensive linemen. That means the QB has to scramble as poor Lewis gets popped by stronger defenders.

16. Jamie Williams, TE, SF (34) -- The 49ers are the best team on the game including the Montana-to-Rice connection that borders on unfair. Tecmo rated Williams so poorly that the only scenario that would see him receiving playing time would be a series of injuries or placing him as returner so your other players aren’t injured.

Link

I can't believe this doesn't get more attention here? We got no old school Tecmo Bowl gamers here? Damn......

I'm "Ghost" on http://tecmobowl.org/

The guy that runs the site is from Lincoln (and runs the tourny in town) although I was too broke to attend this year. One of my hobbies is moding/Hacking Super Tecmo Bowl.

Interestingly enough the game is about 365k so you could fit about 3 copies on an old floopy disk (if anyone remembers those)

I can't believe this doesn't get more attention here? We got no old school Tecmo Bowl gamers here? Damn......

The guy that runs the site is from Lincoln (and runs the tourny in town) although I was too broke to attend this year. One of my hobbies is moding/Hacking Super Tecmo Bowl.

Interestingly enough the game is about 365k so you could fit about 3 copies on an old floopy disk (if anyone remembers those)

Can you actually play on that site??

Can you actually play on that site??

You can download the emulators and everything you need on that site.