Part 1 WOWT: Meet Mike Riley

zoogs

Enjoyed. Sounds like he feels he has more then 5 years in him. Maybe 10. Hope so.

The age thing is overblown. Can't remember who said this but I read it again somewhere yesterday, Riley is 2 years younger than Pete Carrol.

Is anyone fixated on Pete's age?

it will be "used" in certain ways on the recruiting trail. Will it be a real issue? Probably not...but anytime that a guy like Bill Self is up against Coach K for a recruit you know that Self brings up the age thing...like I said...will it matter? Who knows, probably not a lot.

Enjoyed. Sounds like he feels he has more then 5 years in him. Maybe 10. Hope so.

The age thing is overblown. Can't remember who said this but I read it again somewhere yesterday, Riley is 2 years younger than Pete Carrol.

Similar in age to to Saban, Miles, or Belichick as well. 60 is not the same now as it was 20 or 30 years ago.

Similar in age to to Saban, Miles, or Belichick as well. 60 is not the same now as it was 20 or 30 years ago.

I would argue that being "older" is easier to overcome in the NFL, because you aren't recruiting kids to your school for 4-5 years. Coaches are becoming more successful in their latter years, recently. I am not sure what the reasons behind it are. I am sure the coaches watch their health more than they used to, and delegate more responsibility to their coordinators and assistant coaches, and focus more on the "big picture" of the program.

I'm still amazed at the number of NU fans that had no idea who Riley was when he was named Head Coach. The guy had been coaching in the Pac 10/12 and NFL the past 15 years, had some good years (with a historically awful program), and pulled off some big upsets during his time at Oregon State. I still hear people who will say or post "when they said Mike Riley, my first reaction was 'who is that?'"

I'm still amazed at the number of NU fans that had no idea who Riley was when he was named Head Coach. The guy had been coaching in the Pac 10/12 and NFL the past 15 years, had some good years (with a historically awful program), and pulled off some big upsets during his time at Oregon State. I still hear people who will say or post "when they said Mike Riley, my first reaction was 'who is that?'"

Who would've known who he was, other than Pac-12ers? It's not like he was a household name like some other coaches. I hope this guy DOES surprise everyone including myself. Of course not knowing the particulars, I'm still peeved that Scott Frost wasn't the first guy on Eichorst's mind. Just like Harbaugh, Gundy, Spurrier (when he was at Florida), sometimes it takes an alum to bring a program back to it's expected normalcy.

This guy is very intriguing to me. Maybe it's just that he's so different than Bo, but he's sort of an enigma to me so far. Looking forward to what his approach develops as.

90% different...both want to win. Riley knows how to talk to people

Yup.

It's nice seeing an interview where you didn't get the feeling that the interviewer was walking on egg shells.

• Fire 1