TFE Scouting Report - Ameer Abdullah

OneDayGM

TFE's NFL Draft Lead writer Brandon Thorn breaks down one of his top rated RBs for the 2015 NFL Draft with an in-depth, NFL style scouting report. This is the first of many prospects that are completed using this format. Feedback is very much appreciated!

http://www.thefootballeducator.com/ameer-abdullah-nebraska/

Summary:

Abdullah has been the bell cow back for the Cornhuskers since taking over the starting role as a sophomore in 2012 (three-year starter). Ameer set numerous school-records including the only player in history to rush for three 1,000 yard seasons and he finished as the school’s second all-time leading rusher. He finished his career with 813 carries, 4,588 yards, 5.6 YPC, 39 TD, 73 receptions, 690 yards, 7 TD, 1592 return yards, 26.1 YPR. Ameer’s senior season (2014) he finished with 264 carries, 1,611 yards, 6.1 ypc, 19 TDs, 22 receptions, 269 yards, 3 TDs, 14 returns, 392 yards, 28.0 avg. He also received his degree in history in 3 1/2 years.

Abdullah is a dynamic, do-it-all player who wins with effort as much as explosion and quicks. His fearless mentality on the field allows him to be a very effective cut blocker, inside runner, and tackle breaker. Ameer looks to run inside first, but once in the open-field, look out. He runs low, which paired with his sculpted, compact frame gives him the leverage advantage against almost any defender. Arm tackles do not work against him and he initiates contact much more than he receives it. His two biggest strengths are his vision and decisiveness. He identifies the right hole consistently and wastes no time attacking it. His acceleration out of his first cut and jump cut is devastating. Ameer is a smooth route-runner and receiver out of the backfield, displaying soft hands that he uses to make the routine and difficult catch seamlessly. Aside from some fumbling issues his first three years that he cleaned up his Sr. year, his lack of overpowering size to run between the tackles at the next level is my only other concern. He could easily handle another 5-10 pounds of weight, making his body capable of being a feature back. By all accounts from college, he would be a great teammate and addition to the locker room as well. Ameer is a top 32 prospect for me with legitimate value near the end of round 1, worst-case middle of round 2. He’s the type of player who will likely get overlooked and be a steal after round 1.

Value – Top 30

Projection – Top 50

Pro Comp = Ahmad Bradshaw

He can definitely learn to pick his spots in the NFL if that's what you're asking. Its a fine line between picking your spots and playing balls to the wall like he does, though. I lean more towards him going all out. He's short but he's stocky and in immaculate shape. I think he can take more than most do.

Arm tackles do not work against him and he initiates contact much more than he receives it.

Will he do this in the NFL? Could have a short shelf life if he's not smart. But as a RB you have to make your money when you can.

A RB is going to get hit either way. If he initiates the hit, he has much better control over where he gets hit, which should actually improve his career length.

Arm tackles do not work against him and he initiates contact much more than he receives it.

Will he do this in the NFL? Could have a short shelf life if he's not smart. But as a RB you have to make your money when you can.

Abdullah rarely took a direct hit. Dude was good at rolling of tackles, and avoiding maximum contact.

From a Jarvis Status Update:

NFL Scout gives Abdullah 'the highest overall character grade I've ever given' http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000466339/article/sources-tell-us-what-were-hearing-about-nfl-draft-prospects?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb

This scout and I have the same RB ratings. Here's my big board thus far: http://www.thefootballeducator.com/brandon-thorns-2015-nfl-draft-big-board-feb-3/

Ameer is my guy.