2015 Walk-On Class

Mavric

After a pair of 300-yard, five-touchdown games to open his senior season at Sutton, Noah Johnson went on a visit to Nebraskas home game against McNeese State. Thats when Johnson realized he had what it took to be a Husker.

That kind of inspired me to keep up the hard work throughout the season and in practice, Johnson said. It was nice to have Nebraska notice me.

If NUs interest was the inspiration for Johnsons final high school season, it worked.

Johnson ran for 2,892 yards, the top total in the state for all classes, and 40 touchdowns in 10 games. And hes joining the Nebraska football program as a walk-on running back.

Even though he said it was hard to turn down offers from the University of Nebraska at Kearney and Nebraska Wesleyan, Johnson didnt hesitate when NU came calling.

I dont know how many high school kids get the opportunity, especially at the Class C-2 level, Johnson said. It was a pretty exciting opportunity, so I had to take it.

OWH

this kid will redshirt and see some field time starting next year.......great to have him here.

So he is going to take reps from Newby, Wilbon, Taylor and all other RBs as a RS FR?

So he is going to take reps from Newby, Wilbon, Taylor and all other RBs as a RS FR?

Special Teams, mop-up duty, emergency injury fill-in, gadget play package... there's about a dozen ways this kid could see field time other than supplanting any of those guys.

Isn't that what the majority of our walk ons end up being?

As a quarterback last season, Young threw for 1,311 yards and 17 touchdowns, adding 982 yards and 12 scores on the ground. As a safety, he made six interceptions and 11 pass breakups. As a returner, he averaged almost 30 yards on kickoff returns and over 20 yards on punt returns.

“We also had him long snap,” Cargill said. “First game of the year, we were kind of up against it. So we needed him to come in and long snap, and he did a great job for us.”
Young’s skill set, along with his quickness and his smarts — he talked to Cornell and Yale about attending but wanted to stay closer to home — made the job easier for Cozad’s offensive coordinator, Dreu Young, Conor’s older brother and a tight end at NU from 2006 to 2010. Dreu Young also walked on for the Huskers before being placed on scholarship as a junior.
Now his younger brother is following him.
“I’m proud of him. All the work he’s put in to get to where he’s at, I’m happy he’s getting the opportunity,” Dreu Young said. “I know it’s something, especially this last couple of years, that he’s really showed interest in doing.”
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...