Don Lemon - The most offended and least tolerant ..

While one can agree or disagree wt Lemon's (CNN Anchor )statement that Liberal and Progressives are the least tolerant and most easily offended, I agree with the base of his discussion - PC has run amok and we too quickly label people because we might disagree on 1 or more points. We only grow if we listen to those who challenged our assumptions.

Charleston should teach us that we are all American's 1st and we all hurt when a tragedy like this occurs and stand united against evil in which ever form it is expressed.

http://www.salon.com/2015/06/11/don_lemon_weighs_in_on_pc_culture_liberals_are_the_most_easily_offended_and_the_least_tolerant/

Quote:

“We have to stop looking for reasons to be offended,” he said on a Black America Web radio show. “We have to allow people leeway to make mistakes in conversations without calling them racists, bigots, stupid, dumb, sell out or whatever your word choice may be.”

“After almost 25 years in the news business, you know who is the most easily offended and the least tolerant? Liberals and progressives, because many of them don’t really want to hear anyone else’s opinion but their own,” he continued. “Here’s a tip, if you only agree with people who hold your same political affiliation or who are of your particular race, your particular gender or ethnicity, you are part of the political correctness run-amok problem. You’re actually thwarting progress instead of advancing it.”

• Fire 1

While one can agree or disagree wt Lemon's (CNN Anchor )statement that Liberal and Progressives are the least tolerant and most easily offended, I agree with the base of his discussion - PC has run amok and we too quickly label people because we might disagree on 1 or more points. We only grow if we listen to those who challenged our assumptions.

Charleston should teach us that we are all American's 1st and we all hurt when a tragedy like this occurs and stand united against evil in which ever form it is expressed.

http://www.salon.com/2015/06/11/don_lemon_weighs_in_on_pc_culture_liberals_are_the_most_easily_offended_and_the_least_tolerant/

Quote:

“We have to stop looking for reasons to be offended,” he said on a Black America Web radio show. “We have to allow people leeway to make mistakes in conversations without calling them racists, bigots, stupid, dumb, sell out or whatever your word choice may be.”

“After almost 25 years in the news business, you know who is the most easily offended and the least tolerant? Liberals and progressives, because many of them don’t really want to hear anyone else’s opinion but their own,” he continued. “Here’s a tip, if you only agree with people who hold your same political affiliation or who are of your particular race, your particular gender or ethnicity, you are part of the political correctness run-amok problem. You’re actually thwarting progress instead of advancing it.”

Both political sides have their emotional/social buttons they push to keep their base voters. On the Democratic side, it is being offended by race, sex, age....etc.

If the Democrats can convince enough people that they should be offended by anything a non Democrat does or says, they win. They have become masters at it to the point that in many situations, a real discussion is almost impossible to be had on major social and economic issues.

• Fire 1

Couldn't agree more.

It's easy to see how the Left never looks in the mirror...they point the finger, not the thumb.

How does this ^ follow from this?

...dont really want to hear anyone elses opinion but their own...if you only agree with people who hold your same political affiliation or who are of your particular race,

• Fire 1

Couldn't agree more.

It's easy to see how the Left never looks in the mirror...they point the finger, not the thumb.

...dont really want to hear anyone elses opinion but their own...if you only agree with people who hold your same political affiliation or who are of your particular race,

Yeah that response was pretty in lame in that it seemed like the exact definition of pointing the finger.

Didn't even read the article, but I agree with the principle. I'm the last person you'll ever hear whining about how I'm being make-believe "persecuted" as a Christian, or how there's a war on Christmas, or that I'm being painted with too broad of a brush or whatever. I just don't care, and I don't think that stuff really exists anyways.

But I do think that the cry of 'TOLERANCE!' in our culture over the last 5-8 years has morphed into something that is, on it's own, incredibly intolerant. Look - if someone actually IS a gross, explicit racist or very obviously hates gays or is extremely ignorant, call it what it is and don't give them the time of day and move on. But there is a huge camp of people, which I fall into, that have beliefs and thoughts and realize that a lot of them might have been indoctrinated, that continue to have questions we don't know the answers to, that can give a best guess but aren't up in arms about our position but are rather on the fence about a lot, and that are just trying to figure stuff out that we don't understand. But it seems like too many people aren't even willing to have a conversation about it the second that one of us says, authentically, "Well I'm not really sure how I feel about homosexuality as a Christian" or what have you.

Couldn't agree more.

Yeah that response was pretty in lame in that it seemed like the exact definition of pointing the finger.

Didn't even read the article, but I agree with the principle. I'm the last person you'll ever hear whining about how I'm being make-believe "persecuted" as a Christian, or how there's a war on Christmas, or that I'm being painted with too broad of a brush or whatever. I just don't care, and I don't think that stuff really exists anyways.

But I do think that the cry of 'TOLERANCE!' in our culture over the last 5-8 years has morphed into something that is, on it's own, incredibly intolerant. Look - if someone actually IS a gross, explicit racist or very obviously hates gays or is extremely ignorant, call it what it is and don't give them the time of day and move on. But there is a huge camp of people, which I fall into, that have beliefs and thoughts and realize that a lot of them might have been indoctrinated, that continue to have questions we don't know the answers to, that can give a best guess but aren't up in arms about our position but are rather on the fence about a lot, and that are just trying to figure stuff out that we don't understand. But it seems like too many people aren't even willing to have a conversation about it the second that one of us says, authentically, "Well I'm not really sure how I feel about homosexuality as a Christian" or what have you.

Agree LandLord - I believe most of us 'think we know what we think' until someone shares a valid point with us that 'cracks our shell of self assuredness'. It is good to have the shell cracked a few times to get the brain to really think. We may come back to our same conclusions but at least now its been given a more sure foundation after we've been forced to research and consider more. Like the Stephen Fry thread - I respect those who had a different view point and conclusion, they made me think about my positions and I can still feel secure in my thoughts without demeaning and even appreciating opposing views. I think that those not willing to have the conversation are either insecure or arrogant.