OWH: Huskers Camp Countdown

No. 44 Carlos Davis

6-2 | 265 | Fr. | DT

Several things make the debut of twins Carlos and Khalil Davis interesting, starting with their potential and back story. The next question is how fast one — or both — might be able to contribute since NU has some depth issues on the defensive front. They will be tackles in the long run, but defensive end might present an immediate opportunity if some returnees aren’t developing.

Carlos was the Missouri Class 6 defensive player of the year in 2014, threw the discus 212 feet, 5 inches — best high school mark in the nation — and is five minutes older than Khalil.

Link

• Fire 1

No. 43 Imani Cross

6-1 | 240 | Senior | I-back

The spot might seem a little low on this list for somebody with 1,184 career rushing yards and 22 touchdowns, but there are some questions about how Cross might fit into Nebraska’s offense under Mike Riley and Danny Langsdorf.

If they all stay healthy, NU also will have the services of Terrell Newby, Adam Taylor and Mikale Wilbon at I-back, with freshman Devine Ozigbo joining the pool. What won’t change is that Cross is one of the hardest workers and most experienced players in the program, so the native of Gainesville, Georgia, will do whatever he can to help.

Link

• Fire 1

No. 42 AJ Bush

6-3 | 220 | Redshirt freshman | Quarterback

Some folks got pretty excited about Bush when he showed promise during spring practice, but he is still raw and has never played a college snap. Coaches limited Bush to scout-team work last season, but he started with a clean slate after Mike Riley took over and brought in offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf.

Bush is an intriguing talent, both with his arm and with his potential in the run game. The difference in experience between starter Tommy Armstrong and Bush, however, is quite large.

Link

• Fire 1

No. 41 Zack Darlington

6-2 | 205 | Redshirt freshman | Quarterback

Was the spring game a small coming-out party for Darlington or just some good work in a glorified scrimmage? If nothing else, it gave the quarterback good vibes heading into the summer after he hadn’t seen game action the previous two seasons.

Mike Riley has to love his commitment and his knowledge and feel for the game, but this fall camp will be huge for Darlington — same for Ryker Fyfe and AJ Bush — as the quarterbacks jockey for that all-important No. 2 spot on the depth chart.

Link

• Fire 1

No. 40 Kieron Williams

6-0 | 190 | Soph. | S

This late addition to the 2015 recruiting class made his strongest impact on Nebraska’s punt return team, blocking three punts — including two against USC — and helping block for punt returner De’Mornay Pierson-El.

At safety, Williams was a backup, but he’ll have a chance to vie for a starting job this year if he can beat out Byerson Cockrell, who can also play nickel. Williams has shown an ability to support the run and make big hits on defense. Those talents will serve him well in Mark Banker’s new defense, which emphasizes aggression.

Link

• Fire 1

No. 39 Alonzo Moore

6-2 | 195 | Jr. | WR

Breakout time. In practice, Moore has shown flashes of the speed and quickness necessary to be a good wideout at Nebraska. He’s yet to show it consistently in games, and given NU’s glut of young scholarship receivers — including incoming freshmen Stanley Morgan and Lavan Alston — who could push for playing time, Moore must have a strong fall camp or risk getting knocked down the depth chart.

Moore has 16 catches for 211 yards in two seasons, and perhaps is better known for the pass he didn’t hold on to at Michigan State last season than any grab he did have. Moore has the skills to make better memories. But he’ll have to prove it in camp and win a starting job.

Link

• Fire 1

I think Moore gets lost in the shuffle. Westerkamp, DPE and Reilly get the start with Turner and Burtch working in. Moore, Allen and Gladney are left with a few snaps here and there as they try to hold off true frosh Morgan and Alston (who I hope redshirt).

I agree, except I have different thoughts about the freshmen receivers. If the talent and skill is clearly better, and the coaches work with Morgan and Alston, I think you use them as soon as possible. I am not content with Turner, Burtch, Moore or Allen. They are nice players with some experience, but this offense needs fire power and reliability at WR. If the FR receivers prove that they are not ready yet, fine don't throw them out there. But give them full opportunity come fall practice and go from there.

I think Moore gets lost in the shuffle. Westerkamp, DPE and Reilly get the start with Turner and Burtch working in. Moore, Allen and Gladney are left with a few snaps here and there as they try to hold off true frosh Morgan and Alston (who I hope redshirt).

I agree, except I have different thoughts about the freshmen receivers. If the talent and skill is clearly better, and the coaches work with Morgan and Alston, I think you use them as soon as possible. I am not content with Turner, Burtch, Moore or Allen. They are nice players with some experience, but this offense needs fire power and reliability at WR. If the FR receivers prove that they are not ready yet, fine don't throw them out there. But give them full opportunity come fall practice and go from there.

My comment is more about opportunity than ability. Last year our three leading receivers were Bell, Westerkamp, DPE and then Abdullah. It would seem likely that Reilly steps into much of Bell's role and our three leading receivers are Westerkamp, DPE, Reilly and then throwing to backs out of the backfield. Moore was our next leading receiver last year, catching 10 passes. We may pass more this year but we'll likely pass more to TEs as well - Carter only caught six passes last year. Even if our fourth best WR catches 250% as many passes than he did last year, that's two catches per game. I don't think it's worth wasting a redshirt year for that.

Edited by Mavric
Edited for math
  • Fire 1

No. 38 Josh Kalu

6-1 | 185 | So. | CB

As a freshman slot cornerback, Kalu showed a knack for being around the ball. His second-half interception against Miami (Florida) thwarted a final Hurricane comeback, and he forced a fumble in a win over Iowa to set up an important Husker touchdown just before halftime. Starting two games and finishing with 27 tackles, Kalu had to hit the reset button with a new coaching staff.

Not many freshmen could pick up Bo Pelini’s defensive scheme, so Kalu has demonstrated he’s a quick learner and should find a role on the field as a sophomore. He’s more likely to vie for a starting cornerback job as a junior, but if he can show an ability to turn and run with opposing wideouts he has a chance.

Link

• Fire 1

Following a guy who I think might be a little over-rated, Kalu is a guy who might be under-rated at this spot.

I'm still a little confused by the move to corner as I thought he was a more natural safety but perhaps he can play corner as well. Seems to be a play-maker. Hope to see a lot of him this fall.

• Fire 1

No. 37 Freedom Akinmoladun

6-4 | 255 | Freshman | Defensive end

If only former Nebraska coaches had done the right thing and placed this Kansas City-area star at defensive end last year. Instead, Akinmoladun spent a year at tight end — where the former defensive staff knew he was an ill fit — before new defensive coordinator Mark Banker immediately moved him to end, where depth is thin. Akinmoladun had a strong spring.

He learned quickly and showed some good burst off the ball. He will be pressed into action early and often in 2015. We’ll see how well he takes to a new position. Once Akinmoladun figures it all out, he’s bound to be a good contributor behind starters Greg McMullen and Jack Gangwish.

Link

• Fire 1

If Dedrick Young wasn't suck an athletic freak at such a position of need (LB), this would be my pick for breakout defender this year.

The article conveniently neglects to mention that the reason he started out at TE was because that's the position he wanted to play. Even his HS coach said he'd be a better DE. I think he could make an impact this year.