Gangwish article on Rivals (Non subscription required)

The most defining Jack Gangwish story might in fact come away from the football field. Garfield heavily encouraged Gangwish to start wrestling when he got to Wood River, saying it would improve his hand-fighting, footwork, explosiveness and power. Gangwish resisted but ultimately gave in.

By the time he was a senior Gangwish was competing for a state title. He ended up falling in the finals and finished second in the state tournament. The coaches gathered all the Wood River medal winners for a picture and told them to put their medals on.

There was just one problem - Gangwish didn't have his. He'd tossed it in the trash can on the way out.

"He said, 'I threw it away coach. It's the wrong color," Garfield said. "'I didn't get the gold. I don't want it.' That's the way he is. He went from not knowing anything about wrestling to wanting nothing but to do a state champion.

"That's Jack in a nutshell. He is such a competitor and he wants to be the best, and if he's not the best, it's not good enough."

https://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1779955
  • Fire 2

There was just one problem - Gangwish didn't have his. He'd tossed it in the trash can on the way out.
"He said, 'I threw it away coach. It's the wrong color," Garfield said. "'I didn't get the gold. I don't want it.' That's the way he is. He went from not knowing anything about wrestling to wanting nothing but to do a state champion.
"That's Jack in a nutshell. He is such a competitor and he wants to be the best, and if he's not the best, it's not good enough."

Ahhh, it all makes sense now. He just didn't want to let that raccoon get the best of him.

/ Great article, btw. +1

:lol: