Sipple: Husker fans would be wise to heed Dantonio's words

so is Sip going to be to Riley what Dirk was to Bo? Sip needs to change his tune less he lose all credibility.

Are you just saying this as a general question or did something in the article give you that impression? I can't see how anyone would read that and conclude that Sipple is to Riley what Dirk was to Bo.

Riley's staff is not elite. I think they're good and capable, but there's no use in calling them what they aren't.

I can think of a few of them that could very well prove to be elite coaches and probably be hired away from here and promoted fairly quickly, but I don't know if you can call them elite at this point. I don't even know if most of them have strived for that elite status. It seems quite a few of them were very happy staying where they've been. We always throw that "elite" title on guys that bounce around like an auction item to the highest bidder. That's not a necessity to be considered an elite coach. Sometimes its just the circumstances of their situation that elevate them to that level. Circumstances like going to an elite program like Nebraska.

While I think his overall point is correct, I feel it's important to Riley to get out of the gate quickly. The next 3 years, our schedule gets tremendously harder, so we can't really afford a slow progression. if Riley were to turn in a 7 win season in year 1, I'm curious to what the national reaction would be.

What do you mean "get out of the gate quickly"? Vegas says 8-4 which means the chance of 7-5 or worse is around 35%.

After NU hits 8-4, Vegas predicts a LOSS in the bowl to close out NU's Riley season 1 at 8-5.

Me...I would not call 8-5 or 9-4 getting out of the gate quickly.

The Nebraska football program's history was forged, for about a 25-year period, by a man whose integrity was never questioned. He had a very difinitive plan, some would say he was stubborn to a fault, but he worked that plan to the tune of nine win seasons and consistent championship contention. People jumped his case each year that we lost a bowl game or failed to win "the big game." At the end of the day, however, it was very easy to see how close Nebraska was to getting those wins and championships. We all could reasonably expect that, with continued hard work on the recruiting trail, we would be able to run down a title at some point. Then the dam broke and we won three titles in a four year stretch. Magic.

Maybe that created unrealistic expecations and that led to the firing of Frank, the train wreck of Billy C, the return of Bo from his southern D.C. stints.

At the end of the day, we have to compare Bo, not with the train wreck of Billy C. or the Solich administration that followed the greatness of T.O.

The comparison is directly to T.O., sans the championships. We need a coach that carried himself with great integrity, who worked hard to make Nebraska great and one whose legacy was more than nine win seasons. He needed a legacy of competitive teams that gave Nebraskans hope that someday, with continued hard work, we might get a breakthrough.

How did Bo do?

Integrity? Please. After his failures, he blamed the media, the fans, the administration and the officials for his shortcomings. He carried himself with almost no class at all. The outburts after the 2009 title game in Texas and the 2010 blow up at Texas A&M are, by themselves, a reason to fire someone. It was embarassing.

And then there are the results.

In 2011 against Wisconsin and Michigan. We didn't just lose games. We fell apart and were destroyed.

That's Ok. It's just one year.

In 2012 against Ohio State and Wisconsin. We didn't just lose games. We fell apart and were destroyed.

In 2013 after a solid half of football against UCLA, we didn't just lose. We fell apart and were destroyed.

In 2014, against Wisconsin again. We didn't just lose. We fell apart and were destroyed.

If our losses were in games like the Minnesota loss last year, this would not be a topic of discussion. We were very close to winning there.

If Bo's obsurd sideline behavior was limited to one or two incidents, we would not be talking about it. He would still be here.

But the combination of blow out losses, the knowledge that we were close to losses in a handful or more other games, and a continued insistance on blowing up and embarrasing everyone in the university if not the entirety of the state of Nebraska.

Well that was too much. Firing was all that could be done.

It wouldn't have gotten better. Bo was doomed to fail. There is no way I see us breaking through.

Sure, judge Mike Riley for what the team does or does not do on the field, but look for the integrity, the hard work and the evidence that we can reasonably expect future success.

Leave Bo out of the discussion. He didn't belong here and he is gone.

• Fire 7

Riley's staff is not elite. I think they're good and capable, but there's no use in calling them what they aren't.

Really, name 3 teams that have elite staffs and tell me 4 coaches on each staff. Most likely you can't. Other than maybe a few top coordinators in college football most of us can't tell the names of very many other position coaches on other teams. There are dozens of good coaches in the world mostly it is about finding the right fit for the program and the style of play. Milt Tenipor is considered one of the greatest O-line coaches ever. But, he would most likely struggle coaching for someone that wants pass the ball 50 times a game.

The Nebraska football program's history was forged, for about a 25-year period, by a man whose integrity was never questioned. He had a very difinitive plan, some would say he was stubborn to a fault, but he worked that plan to the tune of nine win seasons and consistent championship contention. People jumped his case each year that we lost a bowl game or failed to win "the big game." At the end of the day, however, it was very easy to see how close Nebraska was to getting those wins and championships. We all could reasonably expect that, with continued hard work on the recruiting trail, we would be able to run down a title at some point. Then the dam broke and we won three titles in a four year stretch. Magic.

Maybe that created unrealistic expecations and that led to the firing of Frank, the train wreck of Billy C, the return of Bo from his southern D.C. stints.

At the end of the day, we have to compare Bo, not with the train wreck of Billy C. or the Solich administration that followed the greatness of T.O.

The comparison is directly to T.O., sans the championships. We need a coach that carried himself with great integrity, who worked hard to make Nebraska great and one whose legacy was more than nine win seasons. He needed a legacy of competitive teams that gave Nebraskans hope that someday, with continued hard work, we might get a breakthrough.

How did Bo do?

Integrity? Please. After his failures, he blamed the media, the fans, the administration and the officials for his shortcomings. He carried himself with almost no class at all. The outburts after the 2009 title game in Texas and the 2010 blow up at Texas A&M are, by themselves, a reason to fire someone. It was embarassing.

In 2011 against Wisconsin and Michigan. We didn't just lose games. We fell apart and were destroyed.

In 2012 against Ohio State and Wisconsin. We didn't just lose games. We fell apart and were destroyed.

In 2013 after a solid half of football against UCLA, we didn't just lose. We fell apart and were destroyed.

In 2014, against Wisconsin again. We didn't just lose. We fell apart and were destroyed.

If our losses were in games like the Minnesota loss last year, this would not be a topic of discussion. We were very close to winning there.

If Bo's obsurd sideline behavior was limited to one or two incidents, we would not be talking about it. He would still be here.

But the combination of blow out losses, the knowledge that we were close to losses in a handful or more other games, and a continued insistance on blowing up and embarrasing everyone in the university if not the entirety of the state of Nebraska.

It wouldn't have gotten better. Bo was doomed to fail. There is no way I see us breaking through.

Sure, judge Mike Riley for what the team does or does not do on the field, but look for the integrity, the hard work and the evidence that we can reasonably expect future success.

Your post had a lot about Bo in it.

Elite or not, I'd say the staff Riley attracted is more talented than Pelini's staff.

But that's just a guess so far. We won't know what we've got for a couple more months now.

you might name the former high school coaches and golf coach's that Riley hired, even name the grad asst's. that he promoted to coaching status, you can even "guess" if you need to.

Elite or not, I'd say the staff Riley attracted is more talented than Pelini's staff.

But that's just a guess so far. We won't know what we've got for a couple more months now.

you might name the former high school coaches and golf coach's that Riley hired, even name the grad asst's. that he promoted to coaching status, you can even "guess" if you need to.

What?

:lol:

• Fire 1

What?

The golf coach was one of the better coaches on the team. Art Bryles and Gus Mahlzan were coaching HS football about 15 years ago. sp what does that have to do with being a good coach?

This coaching staff is an upgrade if for no other reason that I am pretty sure Mike Riley will really listen to what his assistants have to say about how something should be done and he may go in that direction. He doesn't what yes men that are only going to do what he wants them to do. Having 3 guys coaching defense that have had coordinator duties is a huge plus. Having an offensive coordinator that is a known QB coach is a huge plus. I am not sold on Cavanaugh at O-line, but he really embraces the tradition and culture of O-line at NU. Our RB coach was coaching Frank Gore last year at San Francisco.

Lots of guys can coach, but it really is about fit and letting them coach.

What?

The golf coach was one of the better coaches on the team. Art Bryles and Gus Mahlzan were coaching HS football about 15 years ago. sp what does that have to do with being a good coach?

This coaching staff is an upgrade if for no other reason that I am pretty sure Mike Riley will really listen to what his assistants have to say about how something should be done and he may go in that direction. He doesn't what yes men that are only going to do what he wants them to do. Having 3 guys coaching defense that have had coordinator duties is a huge plus. Having an offensive coordinator that is a known QB coach is a huge plus. I am not sold on Cavanaugh at O-line, but he really embraces the tradition and culture of O-line at NU. Our RB coach was coaching Frank Gore last year at San Francisco.

Lots of guys can coach, but it really is about fit and letting them coach.

There is not one coach on the former staff that can hold a candle to anyone on the new staff. We do agree on something, the golf coach was one of the better coaches on the staff. That is truly embarrassing.

• Fire 1

How did Bo do?

Your post had a lot about Bo in it.

It did. Too much of it. Time to never type that name again. :0)

As for Riley ... 8-4 or 7-5 with all the games being competitive and the coach carrying himself with class, which we are absolutely certain that MR will ... and I am happy. But let's not concede anything. Those records and that situation is fine, but it's also OK to want for more wins and success.

• Fire 3

What?

Yes Bo had all of those, I know you laugh when you are really crying inside. :hmmph Just think of all the wins we missed out on because of incompetent coaching. Baffles the mind doesn't it!

What?

Yes Bo had all of those, I know you laugh when you are really crying inside. :hmmph

I guess I misunderstood your post above. We all know about Fisher and Papuchis. I read your post to mean that Riley had hired a former golf coach and GA.

btw, I thought Fish was a decent coach, based on the performance of our receivers. Paps? Not so much.