Anyone else think Sam has been overly pessimistic

NUinID

Gotta agree with NUinID. MSU and Wiscy run plenty of both.

I'll take dives, traps and counters from under center all day before I watch that freaking long developing stretch zone/read crap that Tim Beck thought was the only run play on the planet.

I'm with you there. That crap was downright infuriating to watch. Then they wondered where all the holding penalties came from when they asked the OL to block to the sideline.

I disagree with your point above about stretching the field though. Tommy was able to hit the deep seam pretty well last year. That kinda play keeps the safeties back and the LB respectful of the pass game.

"We take too many runs with nothing there,” Riley said after Saturday’s scrimmage. He was being kind; several running plays lost yards. “You’d like to see three or four yards at least. There’s too many that are not good-looking runs.”

I posted statistics from game after game where Nebraska has 15-20 rushing plays per game last season that went for 2 yards or less, sometimes for losses, in every single game.

That's with one of the best RB's ever to step into this program.

Our offensive line has not been good and until it is, the offense will struggle. Why this is so surprising or appears to be news to anyone is really baffling. It all starts up front. Nebraska has been below average up front for a long time now.

And you continue to insist that pointing out a few plays here and there is proof of your narrative.

Here are a set of runs from a team last year:

Game 4 - Runs of 2,-2,-2,2,2,0,-2,0,3,1,2,-1,2,-3,-4,-5,1

Game 5 - Runs of 1,2,2,2,2,2,-8,2,2,-3,2,2,2,0

Game 11 - 0,0,-1,1,1,1,-2,-3,-3,-3,1,1,2,0,1,-1,-12,-2,2,-1

Game 12 - 1,2,-2,1,2,2,1,1,2,2,2,0,-1,2,1,1,-3,2

Game 13 - 2,2,1,2,1,-1,2,1,1,0,0,1,0,-1,1,0,-1,1,-1,0

So that's five games - and I didn't look through their entire schedule - where this team had 15-20 runs that went for two yards or less, sometimes even for losses, in every single game.

That team was Georgia Tech. They averaged 6.1 yards per carry for the year and led the nation in rushing.

So did their offensive line struggle as well?

Don't they run the option?

Georgia Tech had 790 rushing attempts last year. There was a game where they ran the ball 48 times and threw it 3 times.

As far as I know, they've never claimed to be "multiple".

Is them having 15-20 plays a game of 2 yards or less comparable to Nebraska's offense having the same results? Don't they run an offense where the QB literally pitches the ball backwards 85% of the time?

Damn, that'd have been fun to see Abdullah run the ball in an offense like that though.

Thanks for bringing that up. Hell of a comparison there?...........

I could keep going, but no.........we've had all these discussions before. We disagree about the offensive line play at Nebraska the last 5-7 years or so. I'm fine with that. I've watched the games, I'll continue thinking they were not very good. There's literally reports that have come out, and Tenopir himself said he didn't think the offensive line got enough focus.

You can think whatever you want, and I'm fine with that too.

They'd better step it up or once again, the better defensive lines we face, or aggressive teams like McNeese St. will rip us a new a-hole unless Langsdorf is able to gameplan around it a little better than Beck did.

Ah, of course. Now we'll start putting a lot of restrictions on it. We have had this discussion before. I'm the one who has the facts and stats and you're the one who says "Look at this one play that totally blew up".

What does them claiming to be "multiple" have to do with it? If you think they pitch it backwards 85% of the time, you've obviously never watched/paid attention to their games. And did you actually compare how many times both teams ran the ball or do you just assume they ran it about twice as much as we did?

But, since you didn't like that team, how about another:

Game 1 - -2,2,0,1,-1,0,0,-1,0,-2

Game 5 - 0,-1,-4,-1,2,-6,1,1,2,2,1,0,-1

Game 11 - 2,2,1,-2,2,-1,2,-2,-1,0,1,0,-1,-4,0,2,2,-1

Game 12 - 2,0,-2,0,1,-2,1,-1,1,-1,-2,-10,-6,0

Game 13 - 2,-1,0,1,1,0,2,2,-2,2,-8,0,-1,-2,1,-4,1,-16

Game 14 - 2,1,2,-5,2,-5,1,2,0,-13,0,2,1,-1,2,0,-1,-1,2,0

That team was Wisconsin. They've been known to run the ball as well but with more "traditional" sets and plays.

http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/team/255/index.html

That says they ran 790 times.

I don't have any restrictions. I don't think our offensive line has been very good.

It's not based on one play.

I watch Nebraska very closely. I admit I don't follow others as closely, but GT is a team I do like to watch as much as possible. How much do they pitch it? I just threw 85% out there, I don't really know the percentage for sure. It seems like they pitch the ball on a lot of their option plays though.

You realize only a couple of those games actually have 15-20 2 yard or less rushing plays for Wisconsin right? Remember my restrictions.

While you're looking, how many actual games did Nebraska have 15-20 2 yard or less plays?

Does the amount of times the team runs the ball have any influence on how many negating plays you think they should have? It does for me.

Are you saying Wisconsin offensive line is "below average" like I think Nebraskas is? Maybe this year they will be, but they've been pretty dominant over the same period of time . They seem to do well against us. 408?

Mavric, can I ask you a serious question. Promise not to get offended as this is kind of personal.

Have you ever tried Kraft Bacon and Cheddar dip?

It is so freaking delicious. Persinally I like using it with the plain old Rippled potato chips, but I imagine it would go well with just about any chip.

Try it out, let me know what ya think. It's in the cooler over by the sour cream in most stores. Thank me later

Hanging on every word reporters say about fall camp seems even worse than over-analyzing preseason NFL games.

They offer good insight into some roster and scheme info, but not much beyond that.

At this point the coaches might be doing things to evaluate players which might not even show up during the BYU game. There's only so much we can read into this stuff.