Anyone else think Sam has been overly pessimistic

NUinID

It's going to be interesting to see our running game. If it struggles, is it an RB issue, line issue, play calling issue...etc?

It sounds like these coaches have concentrated a lot on the passing game in fall camp and I'm not surprised or disappointed. It needed work and I think we have the coaches that know what they are doing in that area.

My concern is that maybe they are coaches that aren't that creative in the running game so it basically amounts to handing the ball off to an RB and hopefully there is a hole there. (I know that's over simplifying it but sometimes some offenses look like that).

If there isn't creativity in the running game with play calling and play design, it puts the O line in a bad situation trying to block good front 7s.

Sam is not a rah rah guy when it comes to Husker football. Remember a few years ago when Sam's AP vote was the lowest in the poll for Nebraska? LINK Sam is definitely not a Kool-Aid drinker. It's almost like he takes pride in downplaying NU sometimes. :dunno

Sam is not a rah rah guy when it comes to Husker football. Remember a few years ago when Sam's AP vote was the lowest in the poll for Nebraska? LINK Sam is definitely not a Kool-Aid drinker. It's almost like he takes pride in downplaying NU sometimes. :dunno

Did DaveH die? Just read through that post and i've never seen his posts.

No, never said he was a rah rah guy. But, he always backed things with, good logic. He seems to be going with more of a feel and what he saw in the past. This transition has no comparison to BC. The talent on this team is light years ahead of that team. Even with his shortcomings TA is a way better QB than Joe Daily ever thought of being.

All preseason he seems very much of the opinion that NU is really going to struggle offensively. Personally I don't think it will be a thing of beauty all the time, but I get the feeling he thinks it is going to be downright ugly.

I just I am wondering what he thinks he is seeing that he thinks is going to be so bad. From the article today he is really down on the running game IMO. I tend to think that our defense is playing a big part in why the inside run game has looked very hit or miss. I also think the pass game is rounding into shape. I believe it when MR says they are going to play to our team's strengths and do what we do well.

I just have a pretty good feeling about things this year. I don't think the offense will be hitting on all cylinders to start, but I think it will have its moments.

What do you guys think?

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mckewon-huskers-must-excel-in-other-phases-while-offense-gets/article_4a3c4cfb-3734-595b-a809-569632eccc71.html?_dc=281476131174.7134

I hate a bland running game. In a typical pro style offense, we won't see very many diversified blocking schemes in the run game. Which makes it hard to have a successful one. IMO.

A lot of people think that NU's offense is gunna look pretty similar to MSU. Which, they don't have a "GREAT" running game, again, IMO.

I have HUGE doubts about the offense (even though I picked NU to be 11-1) especially early. I think the defense is gunna be ridiculously good.

Ok so daveH died then, god rest his soul.

Ha ha! You can find a poster's most recent few posts from their profile page. It looks like DaveH hasn't posted anything for a couple of weeks. As an Admin he does a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff to keep HB up and running smoothly. Dave lurks on HB nearly every day, even if he doesn't post that much anymore. :lol:

I think that same was being overly pessimistic. I get that offense has shown struggles but I doubt Riley will try to run an offense based on plays that did not work in practice. I also recall reading the the o-line is in good shape and that Tommy is looking better running and passing than he has in the past, I also assume that with the stable of running backs at least one will emerge as a star and the receiving group is also solid. I'm not saying this will be the next scoring explosion but I think things will come together for the offense.

As for BYU they are said to have a weak o-line and they lost their running back so I hope this means that a QB scared of injures makes errors while running from our defense (at least that is what I hope happens).

Has the team given him much reason to write otherwise?

I mean, it's not like he's incorrect by downplaying NU. Other than a few years, 2010 comes to mind as an exciting year with high pre-season expectations, there isn't much to realistically be positive about when it comes to writing about NU in the pre-season. Unless he wants to write kool-aid drinking pieces for the sake of doing it.

Has the team given him much reason to write otherwise?

I mean, it's not like he's incorrect by downplaying NU. Other than a few years, 2010 comes to mind as an exciting year with high pre-season expectations, there isn't much to realistically be positive about when it comes to writing about NU in the pre-season. Unless he wants to write kool-aid drinking pieces for the sake of doing it.

Every team is undeafeated! This is the time of the year for fans to drink Kool-Aid and dream the impossible dream. Beat writers too! :lol:

He could be right, just didn't think this would be an article until October heading into conference play or at least see a game or two and not just reference practice scrimmages.

I guess that what I am getting at, instead of looking at the things that worked and I am sure there are plenty, he is only looking at the things that didn't work and saying they may have a lot of problems. It is just one sided.

All preseason he seems very much of the opinion that NU is really going to struggle offensively. Personally I don't think it will be a thing of beauty all the time, but I get the feeling he thinks it is going to be downright ugly.

I just I am wondering what he thinks he is seeing that he thinks is going to be so bad. From the article today he is really down on the running game IMO. I tend to think that our defense is playing a big part in why the inside run game has looked very hit or miss. I also think the pass game is rounding into shape. I believe it when MR says they are going to play to our team's strengths and do what we do well.

I just have a pretty good feeling about things this year. I don't think the offense will be hitting on all cylinders to start, but I think it will have its moments.

What do you guys think?

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/mckewon-huskers-must-excel-in-other-phases-while-offense-gets/article_4a3c4cfb-3734-595b-a809-569632eccc71.html?_dc=281476131174.7134

I hate a bland running game. In a typical pro style offense, we won't see very many diversified blocking schemes in the run game. Which makes it hard to have a successful one. IMO.

A lot of people think that NU's offense is gunna look pretty similar to MSU. Which, they don't have a "GREAT" running game, again, IMO.

I have HUGE doubts about the offense (even though I picked NU to be 11-1) especially early. I think the defense is gunna be ridiculously good.

I think you confuse bland with ineffective. Wisconsin, Stanford, Alabama, even MSU all have bland running games, but they are pretty effective. No they don't look like Oregon or Auburn, but they are very blunt and brutal. The similarities are in the defense not the offense.

Can confirm. Not dead.

• Fire 4