***Southern Miss Game Discussion***

it will be interesting to see how the apologist attempt to defend Riley and Co....

lets hear it..

The same way the bolievers defended bo for his final 5 seasons?
not defending Bo (honestly that is a very old argument now since he is gone). He managed to lose big way more then he should have and his behavior was not good.
Never said you were. However no reason to defend someone who hasn't even been given a chance to coach half a season here.

Example:

You have a 12 question test, you go 2-2 on the first 4 questions. You still have 8 questions left to pass the test.

10-2 an upset of tOSU for the B1G title followed by a Rose Bowl win over UCLA and a 12-2 season to use as a springboard to the NC next year

How about a bet, not just for you but for everyone.

If you had a gun to your head and had to bet everything you have earned in your life, family, house, cars, savings, retirement, etc......if the only two outcomes to wager were that this program under this staff were more likely to

1) win a big 10 championship, or

2) finish a season below .500.

I wonder what the bets would be. I don't expect any honesty in any posts, but I've got a good idea how those wagers would look.

I guess we cannot spell Mike RieLLLLLLy without several "L's".

Just 2

And could just as easily be 4-0 shut it down man. Step away from the keyboard take a brisk walk to the park, yell at some kids and then come back and tell us how you feel

you miss the point, they should never have been close enough to let the other team back into the game/lose. The staff is repeatedly out coached.. that is the point. the head man came from a school that lost way more then they ever won. I don't buy in the little school notion simply because he had the keys to an NFL team and got fired there because he was WAY under 500. The San Diego Charges have way more resources than OR. ST and he couldn't get it done there. I see nothing in his College or professional coaching career that suggests he is a coach that could recruit the talent needed to win conference championships much less national ones..

step away from the cool-aid. get a glass of water and open your eyes...

Remember when I told you that you can't compare resources between an NFL organization, whose job it is to cater solely to football and a college football team, who is only part of a larger athletics program? If you can't, let me post it here for you.

1) You can't make a comparison of resources between the NFL and the NCAA.

2) I don't know if you're forgetting that lesser funded/smaller programs tend to also play other lesser funded/smaller programs. I get your point, but I just want to bring light to that. It should give you an indication of how a coach fares against like competition, but Riley's record isn't a product of winning slightly over 50% of his games against like competition. There's greater disparity in capacity between each of the schools in the P5 than against other conferences, and Riley was on the lower end of that spectrum in the Pac 10/2 in his career.

Well, my points still stand.

Winning is winning, Riley's staff has done poor for a Mid-tier program (OR ST).. HE has been around long enough that if he was a great coach he and his staff wouldn't be getting out coached on a regular basis... all you have to do is review the first four games to see that they were out coached in three of them. There is to much talent on this team to lose to a BYU program that got destroyed today by Michigan... You can try to apologize for Riley all you want but the proof is in the pudding.. These kids and fans deserve better than this.

BTY, 1-15 season at the NFL level is a sign of a bad coach (period). Riley is the very nice coach, just not a elite coach that we should have if NU is going to repeatedly fire 9-3 coaches. That by itself says 9-3 isn't good enough at NU and an elite coach is required. Doubt anyone will every confuse Mike Riley as being the next Sabin, Meyer, or Dantonio.

For the record, I do hope Riley turns the trajectory of the team around as I don't want to see NU lose.

it will be interesting to see how the apologist attempt to defend Riley and Co....

lets hear it..

not defending Bo (honestly that is a very old argument now since he is gone). He managed to lose big way more then he should have and his behavior was not good.
Never said you were. However no reason to defend someone who hasn't even been given a chance to coach half a season here.

Example:

You have a 12 question test, you go 2-2 on the first 4 questions. You still have 8 questions left to pass the test.

10-2 an upset of tOSU for the B1G title followed by a Rose Bowl win over UCLA and a 12-2 season to use as a springboard to the NC next year

If you had a gun to your head and had to bet everything you have earned in your life, family, house, cars, savings, retirement, etc......if the only two outcomes to wager were that this program under this staff were more likely to

I wonder what the bets would be. I don't expect any honesty in any posts, but I've got a good idea how those wagers would look.

I would never bet my family on anything, but just for argument's sake, I would have to say that there is probably a better chance of going sub .500 this year as opposed to winning the conference or even B1G West

lets hear it..

Example:

good question, if this staff can get the defense (and I know they are trying) prepared and stop getting out coached on a regular basis they should be above 500 but no B1G 10 champions (are you talking about this year or however long this staff is in town?)..

lets hear it..

Example:

I would never bet my family on anything, but just for argument's sake, I would have to say that there is probably a better chance of going sub .500 this year as opposed to winning the conference or even B1G West

No dude, I get that, and my question is certainly hyperbolic.

I do appreciate your honesty, though.

I guess we cannot spell Mike RieLLLLLLy without several "L's".

Just 2

And could just as easily be 4-0 shut it down man. Step away from the keyboard take a brisk walk to the park, yell at some kids and then come back and tell us how you feel

you miss the point, they should never have been close enough to let the other team back into the game/lose. The staff is repeatedly out coached.. that is the point. the head man came from a school that lost way more then they ever won. I don't buy in the little school notion simply because he had the keys to an NFL team and got fired there because he was WAY under 500. The San Diego Charges have way more resources than OR. ST and he couldn't get it done there. I see nothing in his College or professional coaching career that suggests he is a coach that could recruit the talent needed to win conference championships much less national ones..

step away from the cool-aid. get a glass of water and open your eyes...

Remember when I told you that you can't compare resources between an NFL organization, whose job it is to cater solely to football and a college football team, who is only part of a larger athletics program? If you can't, let me post it here for you.

1) You can't make a comparison of resources between the NFL and the NCAA.

2) I don't know if you're forgetting that lesser funded/smaller programs tend to also play other lesser funded/smaller programs. I get your point, but I just want to bring light to that. It should give you an indication of how a coach fares against like competition, but Riley's record isn't a product of winning slightly over 50% of his games against like competition. There's greater disparity in capacity between each of the schools in the P5 than against other conferences, and Riley was on the lower end of that spectrum in the Pac 10/2 in his career.

Well, my points still stand.

I had not ready your response on another tread.. based on your assessment above, Urban Meyer would be a middle of the road coach simply because he coached Utah (was it state?) who at the time was in the mountain west (again not power 5). Seems like he has achieved elite coaching status because he won at Utah... While on average I do agree with your assessment of the P5, it is not 100% correct. Dantonio took over a very week Mich. St. team and has done pretty well. they don't (or didn't) have the resources of say, Ohio St or even Nebraska and he has done really well. Another B1G coach that is approaching elite status is Jerry Kill. Imagine what he and his will do once he gets to a school where they have the resources to match any of the "elite" P5 schools? so, the notion that defending Riley's career/record because he was at a school lacking resources is at best partially true. Lots of very good coaches have won at these lower tier schools. Riley has not shown the same ability as Kill, Meyer, or Dantonio. the list could go on and on...

Guys get ready for it. 4 or 5 wins at best this season.

Lord knows what after that. probably something close to .504

Go away.

Can't handle the truth, I see

There's zero truth to anything you say. You are just full of negativity. Find another team to follow in the meantime since you hate Riley and this staff so much.

It's 4 games into a completely new scheme. Chill the F out.

The negativity with Husker fans the last 10 years is sickening.​

So are delusional fans who only want a nice coach.. It's ok to expect more from your coaches. they may be 2-2 but they very easily could be 1-3... I think we would need to go back into early 60's to find another NU team with a 1-3 start...

My point is that this is a brand new staff and we are 4 games into a completely new system. Do I see some concerning things? Sure, but I'm not about to go jump off the bridge or throw a for sale sign into Mark Bankers front yard. It's called calm the f down. There is zero need to go jump off the ledge. I'm sorry, I'm not somebody who is going to sit there and bash this coaching staff or throw this season away like the vast majority of you.

You people expect immediate results, that's not how this works most of the time. There's been improvement with this team, and theres been things that really need to get cleaned up but I trust our coaching staff to make the changes that need to be done. They are still finding their groove. Just chill out. This is the guy we have. Get behind and support him. He isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

lets hear it..

Example:

Nah, I knew what you meant, 74Hunter. But for this year, not saying this staff is a failure, but for this year, I do believe, at this point, after four games that there is a better chance of going 5-7 than winning the B1G

lets hear it..

Example:

Nah, I knew what you meant, 74Hunter. But for this year, not saying this staff is a failure, but for this year, I do believe, at this point, after four games that there is a better chance of going 5-7 than winning the B1G

Quite honestly, I was referring to the entire tenure of this staff.

Would that change you or anyone's answer?

lets hear it..

Example:

Tough one to call. Based on Riley's record out at Oregon State, based on the current state of Nebraska recruiting, as not necessarily being an elite program anymore, and Nebraska's conference title drought, I can't necessarily see B1G championships out of this staff. But, I'm from Ohio and didn't forsee Tressel winning an NC in his second year at tOSU with what Cooper left him

lets hear it..

Example:

Tough one to call. Based on Riley's record out at Oregon State, based on the current state of Nebraska recruiting, as not necessarily being an elite program anymore, and Nebraska's conference title drought, I can't necessarily see B1G championships out of this staff. But, I'm from Ohio and didn't forsee Tressel winning an NC in his second year at tOSU with what Cooper left him

Cool deal. Thank you much for the conversation. I appreciate your honesty and objectivity.

It's nice to have a conversation and not be flamed.

lets hear it..

Example:

Cool deal. Thank you much for the conversation. I appreciate your honesty and objectivity.

I used to get flamed on the LiTR board in the last few years for being negative. I'm just trying to be somewhat realistic in my own expectations. Am I less of a fan because I anticipate losses? I hope not, I sit here every week decked out in my Nebraska and Adidas gear and root for them, but the last few years have been tough. So, maybe this is a bit of a jaded point of view due to the last few years, but I just want to see Nebraska get back to the business of winning like we grew so accustomed to

lets hear it..

Example:

I used to get flamed on the LiTR board in the last few years for being negative. I'm just trying to be somewhat realistic in my own expectations. Am I less of a fan because I anticipate losses? I hope not, I sit here every week decked out in my Nebraska and Adidas gear and root for them, but the last few years have been tough. So, maybe this is a bit of a jaded point of view due to the last few years, but I just want to see Nebraska get back to the business of winning like we grew so accustomed to

Oh, I agree. With the exception of deer season, I do everything I can do to make time to watch games, and even during deer season I usually catch part of the game and listen to the rest if possible. When the games aren't on ABC, I normally drop quite a bit of dough watching the game at a bar or buying food and drink to go to a friend's house

Hell, the USA and So. Miss games cost me over $100 to watch.

So much for not being a real fan.

Guys get ready for it. 4 or 5 wins at best this season.

Lord knows what after that. probably something close to .504

Go away.

Can't handle the truth, I see

There's zero truth to anything you say. You are just full of negativity. Find another team to follow in the meantime since you hate Riley and this staff so much.

It's 4 games into a completely new scheme. Chill the F out.

The negativity with Husker fans the last 10 years is sickening.​

Perhaps. But it's also warranted.

lets hear it..

Example:

I'm a dreamer, but my heart's of gold...