***** What Did We Learn: Southern Miss Edition *****

walksalone

I learned this defense is still fragile mentally. When something goes wrong it snowballs and we can't have that. It's been a problem for several years now.

We played good football for 3 quarters then they get a TD and recover an onside kick and the defense goes into the tank. Here was the snapshot of the game through 3 quarters.

12039737_10153163363196699_7720887105258

Maybe the fact that they were on the field for almost the whole second half had something to do with it.

Maybe but Southern Miss had the ball for 13:32 in the 2nd half to Nebraska's 16:28.

The D gave up 238 yards on 23 plays and 21 points in the 4th. I think they just let things snowball on them once things started going south by getting away from their assignments and technique. It's a bad habit. Riley even mentioned it today at the PC. We've seen similar things happen to them in recent years.

Hate to pile on a guy but just noticed this.

I haven't been very impressed with Cockrell last year or this year. He's OK but I don't think he's very good in coverage. Unfortunately he's been in coverage a lot this year from a Nickle spot.

Anyway, just when we thought the Huskers had this game salted away by going ahead 29-7 right at the end of the third quarter, USM puts in in overdrive. A 78 yards drive capped by a touchdown pass on 3rd and 21, where the receiver gets inside of Cockrell for the score. On the ensuing kickoff, USM reaches into their bag of tricks for the onside kick. Great job by them as the ball takes a high hop right over the head of .... Cockrell.

Ouch.