***** What Did We Learn: Southern Miss Edition *****

walksalone

1. A veteran coaching staff doesn't pay attention to opponents tendencies. Sharpe said on the radio the southern Miss does all kinds of things in the kicking game and yet we were unprepared for an onside kick and a fake punt.

2. Clock Management-We should have never given BYU the ball back to allow them to beat us and same stuff almost happened today.

3. Penalties-How does Westerkamp take off before the ball is snapped?

4. Our defense against the run is way overblown. No one has lined up and tried to run the ball 30-40 times this year. Of course, why should they when receivers are running free.

because. Every team weve played is a pass first philosophy. Well see what happens with minnesota and wisconsin. Teams that call you before yhe game and say "yeah. Were comin. And were gonna shove the ball down your throat 40 times. "

Shocked that with as much experience as they collectively have, Riley & Co. still lack effective clock management

Team is just as sloppy and undisciplined as Pelini's teams were

Banker's defense would make Uncle Rico look like John Elway

Wilbon and Taylor must really suck -- same goes with Lee and Anderson

Still many dreamers out there who think Nebraska can win the division (not gonna happen)

How many of our quarterbacks could hit a moving rider with a piece of meat? Bad comparison if you ask me.

So far I have learned:

1. The team makes far too many mental mistakes...a.k.a. penalties.

2. Our O-line might be in trouble the entire season.

3. I am shocked at how bad our pass defense a few games into the season.

4. The team does not seem very intense. Were the Oregon State teams this way? Does this nice guy coach breed softer teams?

5. Certainly Tommy has improved every week.

Haven't been posting and, as you can see, don't post much at all. But these are a few things I've learned through the first four games.

1. Tommy is beginning to realize the potential I thought he had. Few bad decisions here and there but overall a giant leap forward.

2. T. Newby has the potential to be good if he would just run the damn ball. Too much dancing around in the hole and actually not hitting the hole. For those complaining about the OL, and no doubt there is room for improvement, I don't know how many times there was a huge lane/seam to run through and Newby would take it completely to the outside boundary looking for something and get nothing when he should have cut up into those lanes, what he needs to realize is maybe he breaks it for a big gainer or maybe he ends up with only 5 to 10 yards. I believe that's why Cross and Ozigbo got in there. Noticed Newby seem to run with a little less dancing around after that. Actually been disappointed there. Would like to hear what is preventing us from seeing Adam Taylor get a chance, i.e. what does he need to improve on to get into the game. Would give us a big bruiser. Maybe its a injury psych thing.

3. Shut out a team in the first half that has been scoring 50+ points a game the previous two, Only to let them make it a game in the second half, our pass defense needs some answers (check some posts, not all, nothing more to be said)

4. DLine is better than most or some on this board think. We do need more pressure on the QB but hard to get when the QB is throwing it on a two, three step drop and letting it fly, praying he got it to the right spot (speaking about S.Alabama QB, if they're decent to good QB's they'll be right once in a while).

5. Play calling can get a little funky in the RZ but overall good, I like our offense, just need to keep putting it in the EZ instead of FG like this past game. Of course need to cut down on drive killing penalties.

6. We need everybody on defense to get healthy; LB's VV, and DPE to get back and in game shape and I believe we have a good chance in the BIG…..IIIFFFFFF, a big if, we can get some improvement in our secondary. Just looking back at some point to make a play on the ball would be a start, obviously much more to it than that.

These are just a few observations….carry on.

• Fire 2

Quite a few coaches with questions to answer this coming week ..

Brian Stewart - He just needs to start over. It started with Davie, and now is bleeding to the rest of the secondary. Out of position, and when the DBs are in position, they do not play the ball. It's not that his position group has been bad, it's that they have been horrendously awful.

Reggie Davis - His reliance on Newby and Cross needs to be examined. Great, Mikale struggles in pass pro. We have heard it. But it needs to be stated that Mikale is the most gifted runner we have on this roster. Is what we give up in pass pro worth what we give up as a team in our ability to run the ball? Newby and Cross just aren't doing it. Give Wilbon a chance. Give Ozigbo a chance. And please quit trying to make Imani into something he is not. Imani does not fit this offense. He's a short yardage and goal line back. Use him properly or not at all.

Bruce Read - I'm still amazed that $500,000 of University money is being spent on this man. His special teams are special, but not in the right way. And the man rarely recruits. What exactly is he providing us, especially at a salary that usually only goes to your best assistant coaches?

I mentioned this last week, but I'll say it again - every scholarship on this team needs to be examined and determined whether kids deserve them or not. This is a big time football school, not a candy factory where scholarships should be handed out. You go to any of the big boy schools, and they give you opportunities. You sink or swim. If you are not working out, you find yourself going on a medical hardship or going elsewhere if you still want to play football. It should be no different here.

I say this because our depth is still just atrocious. We need the opportunities presented by having extra scholarships to dip into the JUCO ranks and elsewhere to build depth immediately for next season. If we want to be nice guys again, and honor scholarships until guys 4 years are up, I'm betting next year will be no different in how erratic we will be.

IMO, Newby isn't going to get it done in conference play against the DL's of the B1G. He looks for the outside lane, has happy feet, slow to accelerate after a cut and runs high.....

I do not think the coach has faith enough in any back to lean on the running back. It seems we only run 2 plays in a row at the most.

I've had the same complaints about Newby but I will give him credit that he definitely had a different mind-set on his last few carries Saturday. Really looked to me like someone grabbed him by the facemask and told him to get his @$$ up the filed. On the last few carrier but basically just put his head down and plowed forward until he ran into someone. Now that's to far to the other extreme but hopefully he learns from it.

- We have no Plan B in the defensive playbook

- (Supposedly) "Stopping the run" is only helpful if there is at least some effort to also stop the pass. We are currently giving up 453 yards per game. The last four years it's been 373, 371, 361 and 351. So we're currently giving up more passing yards per game (379) than we've given up total yards per game in the last four seasons. We haven't just gone to the other end of the spectrum, we've gone to the end and off the chart.

- The excuse that we've faced passing teams doesn't matter a whole lot when we're #114 in the country in passing yards per attempt allowed.

- If we were giving up HALF as many passing yards per game as we currently are, we'd still be a middling #40 in the country.

- It's not Daniel Davie's fault.

However...

- Freedom is going to be a beast

- Brown has been impressive kicking. Not only making the five FGs in the first half but had plently of leg on the 50+ yarder that he missed and gets quite a few touchbacks on kickoffs.

I learned this defense is still fragile mentally. When something goes wrong it snowballs and we can't have that. It's been a problem for several years now.

We played good football for 3 quarters then they get a TD and recover an onside kick and the defense goes into the tank. Here was the snapshot of the game through 3 quarters.

12039737_10153163363196699_7720887105258

Man that 4th quarter was awful, but I didn't think it was that bad. Numbers tell a different story though.

1. A veteran coaching staff doesn't pay attention to opponents tendencies. Sharpe said on the radio the southern Miss does all kinds of things in the kicking game and yet we were unprepared for an onside kick and a fake punt.

2. Clock Management-We should have never given BYU the ball back to allow them to beat us and same stuff almost happened today.

3. Penalties-How does Westerkamp take off before the ball is snapped?

4. Our defense against the run is way overblown. No one has lined up and tried to run the ball 30-40 times this year. Of course, why should they when receivers are running free.

When they didn't the onside kick someone next to me says they lined up in the inside kick formation and we didn't do anything. I told him, they lined up the same way all game.

I learned this defense is still fragile mentally. When something goes wrong it snowballs and we can't have that. It's been a problem for several years now.

We played good football for 3 quarters then they get a TD and recover an onside kick and the defense goes into the tank. Here was the snapshot of the game through 3 quarters.

12039737_10153163363196699_7720887105258

Maybe the fact that they were on the field for almost the whole second half had something to do with it.