***** What Did We Learn: Southern Miss Edition *****

walksalone

Yeah, it was a really bad call. Still, the offense was listless for a quarter and a half, and the RZ playcalling was... bad?

I think anytime you don't get a good result you can nitpick the playcalls or at least consider what could have been done different. Offense looked pretty good on the whole today, though. Just no red zone execution. Will that be a trend, or was it just today? Guess we'll see.

Newby does not look lethal though, and that's something we'll have to get used to. He looks solid, and complete in all phases of the game, but I think there are some pars of his game (i.e, vision) that need more polish.

Last couple of years we leaned on Ameer. This year, we will need to lean on Tommy and his arm.

I blame the offense much more than tge defense today. We know what he have in our defense. Abd in big ten play, most trams we play will be forced out of their comfort zone to exploit our wekness. Thats football. Its an offensive game. And at the end of the day they were held to 28 points. Regardless how. In football nowadays holding a team under thirty givs you a chance.

Because of the offenses inability to finish drives, the score was 22-0 at half in stead of 27-34 to nothing. And it was the offense and a turnover thatgot theminto it. An onside kick. FIELD POSITION resulted in two tds. So as bad as it looked, 1, they had zero ability to run the ball sorry but thats a big comfort going to big ten play. The underneath coverage isnt all that bad. Its the shots downfield. Theyre bein given up on still too consistent a basis

Lastly. This team is still mentally weak. Blame who you will. I dont care about that. It is what is. Alexlewis was good for his usual 2-3 drive starting penalties. This lack of consistent mentality may not be eradicated this year.

This is the worst problem with the team. Started with Bo, and up to Riley to fix. If this team could put together 4 consistent quarters of football, they could be dangerous.

Yeah, it was a really bad call. Still, the offense was listless for a quarter and a half, and the RZ playcalling was... bad?

I think anytime you don't get a good result you can nitpick the playcalls or at least consider what could have been done different. Offense looked pretty good on the whole today, though. Just no red zone execution. Will that be a trend, or was it just today? Guess we'll see.

Newby does not look lethal though, and that's something we'll have to get used to. He looks solid, and complete in all phases of the game, but I think there are some pars of his game (i.e, vision) that need more polish.

Last couple of years we leaned on Ameer. This year, we will need to lean on Tommy and his arm.

We would move the balls between the 20's by spreading USM out, then go with big sets in the RZ to no avail. Oh, and penalties. We're awful at it.

I blame the offense much more than tge defense today. We know what he have in our defense. Abd in big ten play, most trams we play will be forced out of their comfort zone to exploit our wekness. Thats football. Its an offensive game. And at the end of the day they were held to 28 points. Regardless how. In football nowadays holding a team under thirty givs you a chance.

Because of the offenses inability to finish drives, the score was 22-0 at half in stead of 27-34 to nothing. And it was the offense and a turnover thatgot theminto it. An onside kick. FIELD POSITION resulted in two tds. So as bad as it looked, 1, they had zero ability to run the ball sorry but thats a big comfort going to big ten play. The underneath coverage isnt all that bad. Its the shots downfield. Theyre bein given up on still too consistent a basis

Lastly. This team is still mentally weak. Blame who you will. I dont care about that. It is what is. Alexlewis was good for his usual 2-3 drive starting penalties. This lack of consistent mentality may not be eradicated this year.

This is the worst problem with the team. Started with Bo, and up to Riley to fix. If this team could put together 4 consistent quarters of football, they could be dangerous.

See if we play 4 consistent quarters as good as the 4th of Miami, we could win the National title game; OR if we play 4 consistent quarters as bad as the 4th quarter today, we won't win another game this year! This team has many of the characteristics of the teams of the last several seasons with too many penalties, too many bad plays, poor execution, mental lapses, etc. Turnovers have be relatively low, fortunately, or we would be 0-4 or 1-3. The REAL 2015 Huskers need to please stand up and step forward and playing with heart and determination and confidence each and every play of the game. They are capable of great things but if they don't play their very best each and every snap, they will find the season ends with a very bitter ugly impact. No reason to let that happen. The future is all up to these players to make it what they want, or not, as they ultimately control their own destiny.

1. Our offensive line is not very good.

2. Tommy Armstrong is a warrior. Heaven forbid he goes down with a serious injury.

3. Regardless of offensive line play, Terrell Newby is not the answer at running back.

4. We have one of the worst pass defenses in college football.

5. At the rate things are going Reilly will be under tremendous pressure from Huskernation to give Mark Banker a roadmap back to the State of Oregon or any locale outside a 500-mile radius of Memorial Stadium.

6. We have to find more ways to use Andy Janovich in the offense.

7. It's never a good idea to think we have a game in hand or that we are out of a game.

As much as I dont like this style of football, I cant deny the fact that Riley is a very good coach. You dont get to be HC of the Chargers, envied by USC, and win the Grey cup unless you know your stuff. I wonder why teams like ours dont open the doors to some younger hungrier assistants.(looking at Banker,and the O line coach. When PSU got good again ad JOPA got into his last few years, wasnt it some fresh faces adding some juice?

I was at work and I missed this game. When I came home, I looked online and Huskerboard was really sour and depressing.

I thought we'd lost.

In truth, we'd won, and we won against a Southern Miss team that isn't a pushover and has been steadily getting better season after season. Maybe it wasn't a pretty win, but it was a win, and there are good things and bad things like every game.

Still need a couple more games to make a reasonable assessment of the team generally. However, I have to say that this game was disappointing in that we saw no meaningful improvement in any area today. I don't think anyone would argue that S. Miss is nearly as good as Miami. I assume that BYU must have finally succombed to the grueling first four games of the schedule and probably injuries piled up. Even so, losing 31-0 to Michigan is not a good sign. That suggests our BYU game may not be as 'good' despite being a loss as we may have hoped. Not sure how Miami did or will do today.

The next two are BIG for sure! If we lose both, we are facing a very long, dismal season. We win them, we continue to have a chance at a decent season. But I have to say that today was a 'downer' for me and I am usually more optimistic and was going into today's game.