Personnel Changes

I seem to remember something about Pearlman leaving on his own terms as well. Is there anything that backs this up?

I think officially this is a retirement.

Ive also heard that regents wanted him out for a couple years now, but being without a Pres, and a chancellor at the same time wasnt doable.

I have no clue if Perlman is to blame for our mediocrity. But the fact is that he's an easy target for blame. He's the one and only constant in all this dating back to 2001 when it began. And he probably hasnt done anything wrong. Or he coulda done a lot wrong. But he's the easy target at this point. Cuz it looks like we're at the bottom of the barrel.

Part of the reason for the Perlman ire is because Eichorst is rumored to be nothing more than a proxy for Perlman's decisions regarding athletics, including the choice of Riley as coach.

Don't know how much is true or not...but the way Perlman brought on Eichorst was rather suspect, IIRC. And frankly, if we're going to jettison Riley, Eichorst will need to go first, and that means the Chancellor that hand-picked him needs to be out of the picture.

I, don't know if it's a Jewish v. Catholic thing, seems far fetched to me since Riley is allegedly extremely Christian.

But it's no secret that Harv strongly disliked Bo.

Because he was a prick and made NU look unprofessional.

And dared to question Harvey the Wonder Chancellor to his face...

...and again, I support the decision to oust Bo. I feel I have to specify this, or anything that goes against the leadership is going to automatically be spun as Pro-Bo.

This.

It seems like everything Bo said in that last tape was true.

I've been in the real world for far too long. Sometimes people are pricks. Some people are tough enough to deal with pricks, some people are Eichorts.

I seem to remember something about Pearlman leaving on his own terms as well. Is there anything that backs this up?

Ive also heard that regents wanted him out for a couple years now, but being without a Pres, and a chancellor at the same time wasnt doable.

I have no clue if Perlman is to blame for our mediocrity. But the fact is that he's an easy target for blame. He's the one and only constant in all this dating back to 2001 when it began. And he probably hasnt done anything wrong. Or he coulda done a lot wrong. But he's the easy target at this point. Cuz it looks like we're at the bottom of the barrel.

Part of the reason for the Perlman ire is because Eichorst is rumored to be nothing more than a proxy for Perlman's decisions regarding athletics, including the choice of Riley as coach.

Don't know how much is true or not...but the way Perlman brought on Eichorst was rather suspect, IIRC. And frankly, if we're going to jettison Riley, Eichorst will need to go first, and that means the Chancellor that hand-picked him needs to be out of the picture.

I, don't know if it's a Jewish v. Catholic thing, seems far fetched to me since Riley is allegedly extremely Christian.

...and again, I support the decision to oust Bo. I feel I have to specify this, or anything that goes against the leadership is going to automatically be spun as Pro-Bo.

Yes, and I think this is where all of the Bo talk stops. There is (was) a larger contingent of posters who were satisfied with the Mike Riley hire, and a (growing) minority who thought Nebraska should've hired a different coach. None of Nebraska's current blunders vindicate Bo in any way, shape, or form. He was bad for the program and a change was needed. It's still early to know what we truly have with Riley, but the pilot test results are not looking good.

• Fire 1

Yes, and I think this is where all of the Bo talk stops. There is (was) a larger contingent of posters who were satisfied with the Mike Riley hire, and a (growing) minority who thought Nebraska should've hired a different coach. None of Nebraska's current blunders vindicate Bo in any way, shape, or form. He was bad for the program and a change was needed. It's still early to know what we truly have with Riley, but the pilot test results are not looking good.

I agree with all but your last sentence--we're well beyond Pilot...we're in GR (read: conference play) now, and if our program was an application, it would be so full of bugs, it would Windows ME look clean by comparison.

Pilot: BYU

Alpha: Southern Alabama

Beta: Miami, Southern Miss

GR: B1G Season

All we had was a bug-free Alpha. This product would not have gone to GR with this poor of results.

Again, there is NO excuse for Riley to lose this game. NONE. They should already be warming up the buyout check speeches to the boosters...

...but this doesn't mean I want Bo here or back.

I agree with all but your last sentence--we're well beyond Pilot...we're in GR (read: conference play) now, and if our program was an application, it would be so full of bugs, it would Windows ME look clean by comparison.

All we had was a bug-free Alpha. This product would not have gone to GR with this poor of results.

Again, there is NO excuse for Riley to lose this game. NONE. They should already be warming up the buyout check speeches to the boosters...

You damn smart guys.

I think I need a shot.

You damn smart guys.

I think I need a shot.

I'm well on my way to b******* drunk.

Yeah, it's been that sh**ty of a day.

Oh, and this post doesn't mean I supported keeping Bo Pelini, either.

I'll disagree about the timeline of this test, as I think we probably need to wait a full season (which sucks--I don't want to wait until next season to watch us look like a football team) to see what kind of product Riley is capable of brining to Nebraska. It's highly doubtful that we win the rest of our games this season, and it's more likely that we lose more of them than win (please let's not start 5-7...I can't stand another Callahan comparison).

But honestly, there's really no telling right now; and it's incredibly frustrating to look at this season and see that, aside from a statistically improbable Hail Mary and a couple of absurd play calls, Nebraska is at 4-1 (1-0), a position a lot of us would be good with. I bet, if you look at the odds to win at various points during the BYU game and the Illinois game, Nebraska was a 99% favorite to win against BYU up 32-37 with :01 left, and a 96% favorite to win at Illinois up 13-7 with :55 left. Yet we lost both.

So I mean there's obviously good and there's obviously bad, and about all I can muster up is the story of TCU's switch from the Mountain West to the Big XII. Most of us think Gary Patterson is an excellent coach, and he is. Boasting a career 137-45 record, HCGP's name always comes up in conversations whenever teams have a vacant HC position. Yet, TCU's transition into the Big XII wasn't exactly a good one. Their first year: 7-6 (4-5), with losses at home to Iowa State, at home to Texas Tech, at Oklahoma State, at home to Kansas State, at home to Oklahoma, and in their bowl game against Michigan State. Their second year: 4-8 (2-7) with losses against LSU, @ Texas Tech, @ Oklahoma, @ Oklahoma State, against Texas, against West Virginia, @ Kansas State, and @ Baylor--many of these losses were by 3 points or less.

All I'm trying to say is: perhaps we should judge this season more by the quality of recruits brought in as opposed to the our record on the field. I want us to win as much as the next guy (and I seem to recall many of us being okay with a 7-6 type season if that meant a conference championship here and there), but it might be a year or two before we see that. So strap in and weather the storm, because its sometimes hell trying to get to heaven.