Personnel Changes

Given our odds of winning the Big Ten West are pretty much shot, and we are installing a new system on offense and defense, will that change who the coaches play the rest of the season? Devine looked great today, and I see no reason to give him (as a true freshman) and other young guys to get the starting roles for their positions. This includes the secondary, O-line, and other areas of concern. It's time for this staff to sit those who are not committed or giving it their all, and look to the future, even if the future seems bleak after today's loss.

Ozigbo looked great today against a decent rush defense. Until someone can do better than that, I'd start him. The 'guy' everybody expected to be our start this year had 5 carries for 15 yards.

I think now that Riley knows the honeymoon is over and the heat is on him, he can no longer dilly dally with Newby or others that maybe appeared to be the natural starters coming off of last season or spring ball.

Was this the first extended action from A.Williams in the secondary? Also a true freshman. Looks like he has a bright future, and the secondary is a place where we could use some of that. Haven't noticed him in a game before. He's a ... corner?

Our corners also played more competitively today, all of them. It was a nice effort, albeit with a few breakdowns. Part of the problem that I see is sometimes the rush just doesn't get there fast enough, but that'll happen on some plays, and it's how offenses move the chains.

Kept their offense kind of in check, which may also be because ILL is not that great....but our own didn't show up today, which is the stunner. I'm not sure help is coming for the OL this year, so those guys need to turn it around.