What if?

Amac3309

An honest question for everyone wanting the coaches fired after 6 games. Is your vitriol based on the record?

So what if:

1) The hail mary gets knocked down

2) Illinois receiver drops the last pass

3) Wisconsin kicker misses again

So we sit at 5-1, yet literally nothing has changed in terms of the way the kids have played or the coaches have coached.

Do your opinions still stand?

I think you make a really good point. At 5-1, obviously people would acknowledge the deficiencies with what's going on, but I think everyone would feel better about where we are at.

The same narrative would stand - Riley and Co. need more time to truly judge them.

HOWEVER, we'd be 2-0 in conference with major hope that if we continue to improve, get things figured out, and heal up our injuries, we'd have a great shot at winning the West.

Being 2-4 and 0-2 in conference play SHOULD be treated differently, because W's and L's are what truly matter in the end. I still believe Riley needs more time before we jump to conclusions, but the plain and simple fact is that there are things going on during games like clock management and decision making that should be MUCH better for a coach with decades of experience. It's obviously got to improve for Husker Nation to fully get behind him and his staff, but it has been frustrating so far to say the least.

An honest question for everyone wanting the coaches fired after 6 games. Is your vitriol based on the record?

So what if:

So we sit at 5-1, yet literally nothing has changed in terms of the way the kids have played or the coaches have coached.

The issues with your What if's are that NU probably wins the game if it manages things better, especially for the BYU & Illinois games. The offense just needed to gain one first down against Wisconsin and couldn't get it done, and then the defense gave them no resistance allowing Wisconsin to drive in FG position at the end of the game.

That's exactly the point of my what ifs, I agree coaching has probably cost us a few games, so what if the coaching was the same but it didn't cost us those games.

well, one thing for sure, we talk about some funny sh#t when we go 2-4 :confucius

A better "what if" is if the HC was Scott Frost would you be as pissed about the record as you are with coach Riley?

...or do you cut him a break...

That is a great one, undoubtedly the answer is yes

Wait, yes you are as pissed, or yes you cut him a break
Cut him a break but would the reason be because he is a first year coach or a husker legend

What if C A T really spelled dog?

Shocking an unproductive post...
I guess you've never seen "revenge of the nerds 2."

Just adding some levity to the situation, sorry that I went over your head.

Geez not since jr high, totally went over my head.

Funny thing is as the leader of the "the coaches suck" movement im actually curious of your opinion? (Although I'm probably gonna regret typing that)

So what if:

1) What if Ferdinand hadn't gotten in the car that day in June of 1914?

2) What if JFK didn't trust Bobby Kennedy to handle the Cuban Missile Crisis?

3) What if the 14-Part Message had been delivered on December 6th, 1941, instead of the 8th?

Answers:

1) WWI may not have started.

2) Roaches would be debating games instead of us.

3) Pearl Harbor would have not happened the way it went down.

Quit with the "what ifs". Everytime I hear someone say, "What IF" I think of this:

Amen.

What if C A T really spelled dog?

Shocking an unproductive post...
I guess you've never seen "revenge of the nerds 2."

Just adding some levity to the situation, sorry that I went over your head.

Geez not since jr high, totally went over my head.

Funny thing is as the leader of the "the coaches suck" movement im actually curious of your opinion? (Although I'm probably gonna regret typing that)

Gee I wouldn't call myself the leader of that movement, but thanks I guess.

It wouldn't change my opinion, but I think that Husker nation as a whole would feel better about it. I'd bet that many that have changed their stance would not have changed their position from backing the staff to wanting to move on.

Good OP. I'm not one who thinks the coaches should be fired. But I absolutely agree we are taking a lot harder look at these games because they were losses. With wins, you don't really know how to quantify the mistakes you see, and they're easier to gloss over. But when you lose, especially when you lose close, it's much easier to quantify. You can see if we had done just this one thing differently, or this one thing, or these couple things, it could have been the difference in the game.