Tommy's throwing motion

Pwnyboy

I think we've kind of been heading in that direction the more Langsdord has learned about Tommy. We've just got so many weapons in that WR group that Langsdorf really has a challenge in trying to keep so many guys involved.

This is one of those areas where I hope Langsdorf has not only learned more about Tommy's abilities but also how to prioritize. We have a talented group of wideouts here but it doesn't mean much if we can't put our QB in a position to get them the ball. I'm sure it's frustrating and difficult for the WR's, but, hopefully they understand/appreciate the steps we need to take to actually win games and can put some egos to the side, if that's a problem.

Heck, a lot of these guys were recruited to play in a system than ran the ball ~60 percent of the time anyways so they probably had a notion coming into the university that we weren't going to be chucking it 40 times a game.

Tommy still just seems like a very timing based QB. When he reads the defense correctly and his initial read is open and on time, he looks like an NFL caliber QB. It's when the coverage takes away that first option Tommy seems to either zone in on forcing a throw or he gets those happy feet and throws an awkward back footed pass. The kid has the arm strength to do it, no doubt, but imagine how much more accurate he could be if he corrected that.

I'd like to see Tommy continue to get a little bit more comfortable out there. His offensive line is protecting him well this season. We are the only team Wisconsin didn't get a sack on this season I believe. They've almost averaged 3 sacks per game in all their other contests.

The play calling and the options we give Tommy is vital. I'd like to see more plays with 1-2 quick reads or short routes, take away so many options, and tell Tommy to go here or there but if it isn't there, take off and make something happen with your legs.

I think we've kind of been heading in that direction the more Langsdord has learned about Tommy. We've just got so many weapons in that WR group that Langsdorf really has a challenge in trying to keep so many guys involved.

True that.

There has been some excellently timed throws by Tommy. A well designed play utilizing the right route concepts against certain coverage can do wonders. We've seen it a lot this year. You can credit Langsdorf and Riley for well designed plays leaving open spaces for WR's to be in. But credit Tommy for those well placed balls in those open areas.

I'm not sure about throwing off the back foot is that big of an issue for Tommy. Some guys have the ability to do it. I know when I was in middle school and high school I practiced throwing off my back foot. I practiced throwing on the run. I practiced throwing from my knees. Sure, you want your QB to stand in perfect stance before throwing the ball, but there are way too many variable in this game. That's why I always practiced those types of throws and perfected how to play the game while always on the move. Say what you want about that theory, but every QB has to throw the ball in situations that require understanding how you need to position your body while throwing off your back foot, or throwing on the run.

The biggest thing that annoyed me about what we were being coached were two things. For one, they made us do 3, 5, and 7 foot drops with our bodies turned opposite of our natural footing if the primary receiver was on that side. It was dumb, and it caused issues. Also, I hated that they made us put the ball above our shoulder pad while dropping back. Two hands on it. Ugh, nobody plays the game like that... I don't know, maybe that's my own personal theory about how QB's should play the game.

Personally I'm not concerned about Tommy's mechanics, it's his ability to read the field and make correct decisions. At this level, he's not the worse, but can always get better.