Creativity in the run game

True2tRA

We tried to run the ball to the outside a ton in this game. You better go back and rewatch it. Northwesterns DE was in the backfield all day long, and it's not because we block the edges well.

Please let us know which plays were the runs to the outside.

There's three of them in GIF's on the first page.

So "a ton" = three?

And running inside a kickout block is not running to the outside. That's what's known as "off tackle".

We tried to run the ball to the outside a ton in this game. You better go back and rewatch it. Northwesterns DE was in the backfield all day long, and it's not because we block the edges well.

So "a ton" = three?

And running inside a kickout block is not running to the outside. That's what's known as "off tackle".

That's not what I said. I said there's three of them in GIF's on the front page.

So "a ton" = three?

That's not what I said. I said there's three of them in GIF's on the front page.

And that's it?

So "a ton" = three?

And that's it?

Yes, those three are the only ones I made GIF's of and they're on the front page.

• Fire 1

I don't need to rewatch it. I watched the whole game sober. I remember wondering the entire game why we kept running Newby straight up the middle. I even tweeted during the game begging for an outside run. By no means did we run outside a ton. And the GIFs you posted of Tommy running outside a couple times do not qualify as running outside a ton. I can't tell if you're blinded by sunshine, or are auditioning for Riley's PR team

• Fire 1

So "a ton" = three?

And that's it?

Yes, those three are the only ones I made GIF's of and they're on the front page.

So, like I said, to you "a ton" = 3.

So "a ton" = three?

And that's it?

No. There's 3 GIF's of runs to the outside on the first page.

So "a ton" = three?

And that's it?

And which others?

So "a ton" = three?

And that's it?

And which others?

The ones in the game that I didn't make GIF's of that aren't on the first page.

I imagine at some point in the game we kind of backed away from trying to go off tackle to one side of the field at least. Not sure about the other side of the field. There was a NW defensive end that was having a really good game owning one side of the field. Not sure how much we went outside on the other side. I'll have to rewatch again and keep track for ya sometime.

When I said a "ton" I didn't mean we ran 2000 lbs. to the outside Mavric. Sorry you took it so literal. We gave the outside run more than it's fair share of establishing itself.

If you've felt your argument is so dead that you want to argue semantics on my use of the word ton, I can assure you we do not have a 2000 lb. running back, although I'm sure at some point someone will complain that Langsdorf should run 2000 times during a game.

So "a ton" = three?

And that's it?

And which others?

I imagine at some point in the game we kind of backed away from trying to go off tackle to one side of the field at least. Not sure about the other side of the field. There was a NW defensive end that was having a really good game owning one side of the field. Not sure how much we went outside on the other side. I'll have to rewatch again and keep track for ya sometime.

When I said a "ton" I didn't mean we ran 2000 lbs. to the outside Mavric. Sorry you took it so literal. We gave the outside run more than it's fair share of establishing itself.

If you've felt your argument is so dead that you want to argue semantics on my use of the word ton, I can assure you we do not have a 2000 lb. running back, although I'm sure at some point someone will complain that Langsdorf should run 2000 times during a game.

So if there were so many of them it shouldn't take you very long to come up with a list of examples, right?

So "a ton" = three?

And that's it?

And which others?

So if there were so many of them it shouldn't take you very long to come up with a list of examples, right?

It didn't take long at all, I gave three examples in GIF form this morning on the first page.

I can look back and find examples where runs up the middle went for yards and didn't go for yards too.

I don't think the problem is where we ran the ball. The play calling was fine. It's just that the plays weren't executed very well.

• Fire 1

So "a ton" = three?

And that's it?

And which others?

It didn't take long at all, I gave three examples in GIF form this morning on the first page.

I can look back and find examples where runs up the middle went for yards and didn't go for yards too.

I don't think the problem is where we ran the ball. The play calling was fine. It's just that the plays weren't executed very well.

All I'd like is a list of the "ton" of plays we ran to the outside. If you can't do that, I'm left to conclude that you can't back up your assertion.

if8y5X.gif

aigiZE.gif

U3ihzN.gif

05rmVZ.gif

8VniWq.gif

mDqb35.gif

There's what I've got so far. That's from the first half. From what I can round up from stats, we ran the ball 16 times in the first half, and there's six plays that we went outside. I think that is all six times that we tried to run outside in the first half.

I haven't gotten to the second half to see how much we tried it in the second half, proabably have to do that another night.

Maybe a "ton" was a strong statement. It was only about a third of our carries that went outside. Maybe they stuck out to me more because they were so ugly.

Honestly, I'd hope to find less outside running plays in the second half based on the looks of these plays. It'd be more of an indictment on Langsdorfs playcalling if he listened to you guys and went outside with the run game.

It was clearly not happening on Saturday. Point proven in those six GIF's there alone.

• Fire 4

U3ihzN.gif

I can't see the numbers. Is that Langsdorf dressed as the pulling Guard! If Langsdorf makes that block #34 is still running! Instead he tap dances around the Northwestern defender! Nice moves! Maybe that pulling guard should be moved to HB?

Damn you Langsdorf!

I appreciate your work here, True. Have some +1s. I agree with you that the problem is more with the execution and perhaps effort than in the play design or play calling.

This GIF I quoted is a really great/horrifying example. I believe that's our center who pulls and then tip-toes around the (OLB?) allowing him to make the tackle. Maybe we should try Reeves at RB- he seems to have some moves.

• Fire 1

I'm not one to jump on the players usually and I know you're not either Kernal, but at some point folks around here need to acknowledge some fault in execution and effort instead of hounding this coaching staff every single week after we lose. In this game, lack of execution was evident as ever.

It seemed like it was bash Langsdorf season on this board yesterday after the loss, and I agree, the offense was pathetic and cost us the game, but it wasn't playcalling.

When the six times you tried to run outside you were stopped for a loss or no gain, you don't draw up more "creative" runs to the outside. That's stupid.

• Fire 4