Creativity in the run game

True2tRA

I'd be interested in seeing these GIFS of well executed run plays. It'd be great if someone could find GIFS of Nebraska running similar plays as above, but better.

But seriously, everything else was blocked really well on this play, and I have no clue what the hell the LG was doing.

U3ihzN.gif

I can't see the numbers. Is that Langsdorf dressed as the pulling Guard! If Langsdorf makes that block #34 is still running! Instead he tap dances around the Northwestern defender! Nice moves! Maybe that pulling guard should be moved to HB?

Damn you Langsdorf!

That play is more than likely a TD if that guard actually gets in the way of that guy...

Or if Imani runs inside his block instead of outside...

I'd be interested in seeing these GIFS of well executed run plays. It'd be great if someone could find GIFS of Nebraska running similar plays as above, but better.

But seriously, everything else was blocked really well on this play, and I have no clue what the hell the LG was doing.

U3ihzN.gif

I can't see the numbers. Is that Langsdorf dressed as the pulling Guard! If Langsdorf makes that block #34 is still running! Instead he tap dances around the Northwestern defender! Nice moves! Maybe that pulling guard should be moved to HB?

Damn you Langsdorf!

That play is more than likely a TD if that guard actually gets in the way of that guy...

Sure. Six of one half-dozen of the other. My point (and I'm assuming your point) is: This was a pretty good playcall done in by two guys (LG and/or RB) not executing. Of course, one has to question why we're running a stretch with Imani Cross.

I don't think Langsdorf's play calling is all that bad. The personnel selection for most of those plays are just dumbfounding.

U3ihzN.gif

Damn you Langsdorf!

Sure. Six of one half-dozen of the other. My point (and I'm assuming your point) is: This was a pretty good playcall done in by two guys (LG and/or RB) not executing. Of course, one has to question why we're running a stretch with Imani Cross.

I don't think Langsdorf's play calling is all that bad. The personnel selection for most of those plays are just dumbfounding.

Langsdorf is seriously a good play caller (no sarcasm), minus the misuse of personnel. Is offense is inconsistent because he is asking guys to do things they are unlikely to have success with.

U3ihzN.gif

Damn you Langsdorf!

Langsdorf is seriously a good play caller (no sarcasm), minus the misuse of personnel. Is offense is inconsistent because he is asking guys to do things they are unlikely to have success with.

Wouldn't a good play caller call plays that are likely to have success?

• Fire 4

Our offensive coordinator should call plays that will work, unless they don't work then he shouldn't have called them.

Signed,

Huskerboard.com

Our offensive coordinator should call plays that have a high degree of success. Running Newby who is a speed back up the middle a majority of the time, forcing Tommy Armstrong to be Tom Brady, forgetting you have Janovich to use in short yardage situations is not ever going to be successful.

Signed,

Logic

• Fire 4

Our offensive coordinator should call plays that will work, unless they don't work then he shouldn't have called them.

Signed,

Huskerboard.com

Our offensive coordinator should call plays that have a high degree of success. Running Newby who is a speed back up the middle a majority of the time, forcing Tommy Armstrong to be Tom Brady, forgetting you have Janovich to use in short yardage situations is not ever going to be successful.

Signed,

Logic

Which ones?

You keep saying that. Which plays should he call that have a high degree of success?

I'm willing to bet that the plays that we execute on, end up working well, and the plays we don't execute on, don't work. So which plays would you call?

• Fire 1

Signed,

Huskerboard.com

Signed,

Logic

Which ones?

You keep saying that. Which plays should he call that have a high degree of success?

I'm willing to bet that the plays that we execute on, end up working well, and the plays we don't execute on, don't work. So which plays would you call?

Outside runs. Which the stats show our team has the most success with. Seeing a stretch play would've been nice against Northwestern but it wasn't seen. More option pitch plays. Tommy seems the most comfortable running that play over his career. And not passing the ball more than 30 times in a game. These coaches seem to look at Tommy's last name and say, "Woah, his arm must be strong! Let's throw it 40 times we'll be unstoppable". Anyone that has watched Tommy for 5 minutes would see he is not comfortable throwing the ball. He consistently throws off his back foot, something that can not be fixed at this point and doesn't have touch on his throws. He's a born runner. Not his fault, our last system required a quarterback that could run the football. These coaches are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

It's like what I saw with John Brantley at Florida in 2010. They tried to run the spread option like he was Tebow, but the guy had no speed and clearly belonged in a pro offense. Square peg round hole and their offense struggled.

• Fire 1

Does anyone have any numbers or facts to back up this "slow developing" claim?

I've posted more than enough video evidence to support the lack of effort or ability from the offensive line.

Compared to the rest of the country, is Nebraska's run game slow developing?

I guess I don't know where you'd find that.

Just a thought. Perhaps "slow to develop" is more an indictment on the RB not hitting the hole with "authority", but delaying to allow it to open.

Can't remember the NFL back, but watching the games the announcers commented that they liked him hitting the hole. Whether it was open or not as that was what the play called for.

Not sure if that was the OP reference or if it meant "slow to develop" as in our sweep or dive etc takes to long to actually execute from snap to hand off....

It's just an eye test thing to me. There is probably no real metric for it. I mean you could time every running play but none of us has that kind of free time. I think it's because we start our RB moving sideways and not down hill. Imo below is the gif of what a quick hit power play should look like, not the one True posted above.

Weird it won't let me embed the gif. Here is the link: LINK

Edit: Timing is probably a better way to say it than "slow developing"

We tried to run the ball to the outside a ton in this game. You better go back and rewatch it. Northwesterns DE was in the backfield all day long, and it's not because we block the edges well.

Please let us know which plays were the runs to the outside.

There's three of them in GIF's on the first page.