Creativity in the run game

True2tRA

I'm only kicking through the goal post you all set up.

We want to move em, and start the conversation in the accountability aspect of things, I'll back you 100%. It's pitiful.

That isn't what we were talking about.

Yesterday and this morning, I come to this board and I hear mention after mention about Langsdorf and his playcalling and hardly word one about the sh#t effort by the players, especially the offensive line.

I've given more than enough examples contrarty to the idea of putting it all on Langsdorf's play calling. I can give more too.

Now as far as accountability. I'd say it's more than pathetic that the same guys continue to take the field and act like they don't want to hit somebody.

x1000000000000000000000000

Unsure if this is Riley not wanting to alienate guys by calling some starters (leaders/captains) out. Just my opinion.

I think this hurts the team in the long run. i.e. I am an OL, practice my butt off and the same guys start. Make the same stupid mistakes and still start. Or I am a RB, who might not pass pro the best, but am better in 3 of the 4 other categories and still sit..... I think this alone will hurt recruiting and possibly have guys look elsewhere.

His playcalling was suspect yesterday. Our run game was way too slow developing and he needs to run more misdirection. They were over-pursuing everything. Tommy's QB Counter is the perfect example of that. Also our screen plays weren't developing and he kept going to that well.

Now it's not all on his playcalling. Your points are valid. But we are not going to win many games slinging the ball around 50 times. We don't have the personnel for it.

His playcalling was suspect yesterday. Our run game was way too slow developing and he needs to run more misdirection. They were over-pursuing everything. Tommy's QB Counter is the perfect example of that. Also our screen plays weren't developing and he kept going to that well.

Now it's not all on his playcalling. Your points are valid. But we are not going to win many games slinging the ball around 50 times. We don't have the personnel for it.

We disagree. Playcalling was actually pretty strong IMO. There were some third and shorts we threw on that I would've like to see run, but tough for Langsdorf to make that call when his offensive line isn't able to pick up yards on the ground.

Screen plays were great, probably could've run more.

I haven't heard anyone complaining about the run plays being slow developing. Everyone here is saying the opposite. That we were running straight ahead and being too simple. I'd say it was about a 50/50 mix of simple plays and some more creative stuff. Can't get too creative and run a lot of misdirection when the defense is in the backfield, but we still tried once in awhile.

We will just have to disagree about the playcalling. I'm fine with that.

I'm coming down on the players today. I've watched the whole game now and some of it I've watch three times. These players will decide to bring it or they won't. That's on them and nobody else.

• Fire 2

Langsdorf is literally responsible for the offense's execution. He's paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to get them to execute. THAT'S HIS JOB! Are we clear? If someone isn't executing you sit their ass. No one is being held accountable for their job on the field. That's what is wrong with this offense.

Agree 100% Both players and coaches need to be held accountable for the performance on the field. Is that not why we changed coaching staffs.

We disagree. Playcalling was actually pretty strong IMO. There were some third and shorts we threw on that I would've like to see run, but tough for Langsdorf to make that call when his offensive line isn't able to pick up yards on the ground.

Screen plays were great, probably could've run more.

I haven't heard anyone complaining about the run plays being slow developing. Everyone here is saying the opposite. That we were running straight ahead and being too simple. I'd say it was about a 50/50 mix of simple plays and some more creative stuff. Can't get too creative and run a lot of misdirection when the defense is in the backfield, but we still tried once in awhile.

We will just have to disagree about the playcalling. I'm fine with that.

I'm coming down on the players today. I've watched the whole game now and some of it I've watch three times. These players will decide to bring it or they won't. That's on them and nobody else.

they were slow developing and right up the middle. or so it appeared to be going up the middle because their line was in the backfield by the time the handoff occurred.

Does anyone have any numbers or facts to back up this "slow developing" claim?

I've posted more than enough video evidence to support the lack of effort or ability from the offensive line.

Compared to the rest of the country, is Nebraska's run game slow developing?

I guess I don't know where you'd find that.

I've posted more than enough video evidence to support the lack of effort or ability from the offensive line.

Just a thought. Perhaps "slow to develop" is more an indictment on the RB not hitting the hole with "authority", but delaying to allow it to open.

Can't remember the NFL back, but watching the games the announcers commented that they liked him hitting the hole. Whether it was open or not as that was what the play called for.

Not sure if that was the OP reference or if it meant "slow to develop" as in our sweep or dive etc takes to long to actually execute from snap to hand off....

8VniWq.gif

You think this was drawn up like this? Hard to see the numbers on the jerseys' but blocking usually doesn't include reaching out with one arm and trying to grab a guy as he runs by you. Looks like we tried to create a little bit here. A few blocks and this thing is a huge run. Langsdorf didn't make a single block on this one though.

Freakin' Langsdorf.

Who is the Husker offensive linemen that makes the tackle on Tommy and pile drives him into the ground? Nice!

Yep, when you put two TEs and two RBs in the game and let them put eight guys in the box and play the safeties at 8 yards, there's not going to be a lot of room to do much. Then you use Imani as of of the RBs which pretty much telegraphs running play. Then the QB turns his back and lets the safeties read run right off the bat.

So by the time TA turns around to run, there are nine guys in the box. I can't believe we can't run against a nine man box.

Other than that, great play design.

It's tough to say, but I don't think it's all a talent problem. I've heard from people that have attended practices that 75%+ of the time is spent on the passing game. The running game just won't magically come along by not working on it in practice.

You have to be committed to getting better running the ball in practice before it happens in the games. I'm not sure this staff will ever be truly committed to the run game fwiw.

It would help the running game a lot if the coaches decided to put actual running backs out there. Sorry, but neither Newby or Cross are good running backs and I'm not sure why the coaches can't see this yet eight games into the season.

Yep. The running game has been a smoke and mirror show all year. True, they have been averaging over 5 ypc until yesterday, but when you watch the game play-by-play, rarely does A CERTAIN RB (my comments are harsh, so I will not use names here) get more yards than what the play allows. He gets tripped up or tackled during first contact nearly every time, puts moves on air, and extends plays to the boundary when unnecessary. He does not keep his legs moving and lacks great balance. The QB and FB running game are great to watch physical and decisive. If the RB run game was better, we could see a strong running game overall. Of course, this assumes that Langsdorf would use it.

05rmVZ.gif

Anyone have a take on this one?

It doesn't look like we ran straight into a stacked box again like I hear so many claims to today.

So was #57 supposed to block on this play?

So seven guys in the box with two more guys a couple steps out of the box and reading the backs isn't a stacked box to you? Nine guys keying run is pretty stacked.

I have no idea what we were trying to do on this play. It's a zone read look which is why Sterup tries to leave the DE unblocked. But if was really a zone read, the correct read would have been to give the ball on the handoff as the DE slow-played. But given the cross block by the TE, I would assume it was a called zone read fake and TA was supposed to keep the entire way. But then Sterup should have straight blocked the DE. Of course, usually we pull two guys on the QB counter. So perhaps another player was supposed to pull but didn't or perhaps Sterup thought there was a second puller but there wasn't.

Basically confusion reigns on this play.

Just a thought. Perhaps "slow to develop" is more an indictment on the RB not hitting the hole with "authority", but delaying to allow it to open.

Can't remember the NFL back, but watching the games the announcers commented that they liked him hitting the hole. Whether it was open or not as that was what the play called for.

Not sure if that was the OP reference or if it meant "slow to develop" as in our sweep or dive etc takes to long to actually execute from snap to hand off....

lo country, this is a great explanation for why the RB game looks tentative. Film does not lie.