Creativity in the run game

True2tRA

mDqb35.gif

First run from scrimmage in the Northwestern game. Tommy's one of the best runners on the team. They didn't run straight at Northwestern. Northwestern didn't stack the box.

#84 was stood straight up and shoved backwards 5 yards straight into the play. The Northwestern defender not only man handled Nebraska's #84, but he then pushed him to the ground like a rag doll and made the tackle on Tommy.

Freakin' Langsdorf, what's wrong with him?

• Fire 2

8VniWq.gif

You think this was drawn up like this? Hard to see the numbers on the jerseys' but blocking usually doesn't include reaching out with one arm and trying to grab a guy as he runs by you. Looks like we tried to create a little bit here. A few blocks and this thing is a huge run. Langsdorf didn't make a single block on this one though.

Freakin' Langsdorf.

Who is the Husker offensive linemen that makes the tackle on Tommy and pile drives him into the ground? Nice!

• Fire 2

McKewon made a great point about the o-line after the game. The staff plays 10 WR's, 4 RB's, and a lot of defenders, but when an o-lineman isn't performing, his job isn't in jeopardy. He gets to stay out on the field, and stink it up all over the place, while his backup sits on the sideline. The backup linemen might as well order hot dogs and Runzas, because they sure aren't seeing the field.

8VniWq.gif

You think this was drawn up like this? Hard to see the numbers on the jerseys' but blocking usually doesn't include reaching out with one arm and trying to grab a guy as he runs by you. Looks like we tried to create a little bit here. A few blocks and this thing is a huge run. Langsdorf didn't make a single block on this one though.

Freakin' Langsdorf.

Who is the Husker offensive linemen that makes the tackle on Tommy and pile drives him into the ground? Nice!

I don't think the play was designed to have 3 players block the OLB and leave the MLB unblocked. Good play, poor execution. Nice GIFs, please keep posting until we get the run game fixed.
  • Fire 1

Nebraska got out hustled, out executed, and out coached. Northwestern's strong and well coached, but that's no excuse for the kind of performance we saw. You raise an interesting point here True; if say, our guys don't have great vision or the blockers don't do their job, it kind of doesn't matter what you are calling. Still, the coaches have to either find something better or call something better suited.

The sweep action is pretty nice. I'm a real fan of that play. But, you don't get a running game out of a handful of successful runs. We had that yesterday, amidst a much larger number of stuffs.

I don't care how they do it, and I don't care to get into an argument about who exactly is at fault or what brilliant/obvious idea/personnel change is the right one to change it (yet eludes the coaches). Just do better!

• Fire 1

McKewon made a great point about the o-line after the game. The staff plays 10 WR's, 4 RB's, and a lot of defenders, but when an o-lineman isn't performing, his job isn't in jeopardy. He gets to stay out on the field, and stink it up all over the place, while his backup sits on the sideline. The backup linemen might as well order hot dogs and Runzas, because they sure aren't seeing the field.

You mean like this?

MqX8LL.gif

Now this wasn't in the run game, but this was a heck of a play called back because of just plain laziness and a horrible effort. There's no reason this offensive linemen needed to go low. What was the purpose? This blocker could've easily kept his feet and drove his hands and body straight into the defender. With a full head of steam it should have easily been a devastating block.

Now I believe #57 took the heat on this one? Maybe, maybe not? I know the cameras go straight to #57 following the play, but I think thats a #55. Again, really hard to see with these ridiculous jerseys that make us play so much better.

• Fire 2

I don't care how they do it, and I don't care to get into an argument about who exactly is at fault or what brilliant/obvious idea/personnel change is the right one to change it (yet eludes the coaches). Just do better!

That's very easy to say Zoogs. I'm curious how people expect it to just get fixed. The issues we are seeing have been issues for a long, long time. The last staff had multiple seasons to attempt to fix it. Never did.

There really isn't an argument going on here about "who" is to blame. Most have jumped Langsdorf's ass already and I think it's stupid. Langsdorf called a pretty strong game. Execution, mental toughness, and a desire for contact seems to be a glaring issue.

It's amusing to me to see how the argument changes each week on how we can blame the coaches, but the same issues show up week after week, and it's not the coaches I'm talking about.

• Fire 4

Remind me again what happened on that first series? Oh yeah, we couldn't convert 3rd and short because of an incomplete pass...

Given yesterday I don't think we'd have been able to run for the first down either.

Except we were averaging 3 yards a carry to that point and our two RB rushes were for 5 and 6 yards.