Sunk Costs

This might not be a sunk cost case, but one could certainly make it a case to calculate an ROI or NPV of continuing the current action vs. making a change. Note that I am not an MBA or finance person so one of them should probably do the real math. However:

We certainly won't be going to a bowl this year. So there's a million dollars or so the department won't be getting. You can argue that it typically costs almost $500k-$1M to send the team, cheerleaders, band, etc to the bowl anyway, so maybe that is a wash.

However, licensing revenue in 2011 (last year I could find #s for) was $16.7M. Given that the majority of Husker merchandise sold is related to the football team, if we can expect a 3-9 team to sell only 50% of a normal amount of merchandise, then that is over $8M that Riley's poorly coached team has directly cost the University. Or you can use your own estimate if you think the sales falloff won't be 50%. And then of course, even if the sellout streak continues, there is the loss of concessions revenue as less people physically show up to games, etc. That may not be material though (unless you happen to be the poor guy who owns the concessions).

Anyway, this is a disaster of a year on all levels and we can probably find all sorts of reasons, including financial to cut our losses and move on. Waiting is just going to make it even more expensive.

• Fire 1

We certainly won't be going to a bowl this year. So there's a million dollars or so the department won't be getting. You can argue that it typically costs almost $500k-$1M to send the team, cheerleaders, band, etc to the bowl anyway, so maybe that is a wash.

No, it is NOT a wash. It is a loss that the players, cheerleaders, band etc. miss out on the experience of playing/performing at a bowl game and the events/activities that surround it.

The purpose of the bowl games is to reward the players/team for a successful season by offering them the opportunity to participate in a post-season exhibition match (save for the BCS/playoff games). The purpose of bowl games is NOT to JUST make money for the athletic department. At least that's how it used to be.

No, it is NOT a wash. It is a loss that the players, cheerleaders, band etc. miss out on the experience of playing/performing at a bowl game and the events/activities that surround it.

The purpose of the bowl games is to reward the players/team for a successful season by offering them the opportunity to participate in a post-season exhibition match (save for the BCS/playoff games). The purpose of bowl games is NOT to JUST make money for the athletic department. At least that's how it used to be.

Dude, his post was a purely financial one. Come on, man.

Dude, his post was a purely financial one. Come on, man.

My bad. My son is in the band, so I guess I'm a little sensitive.

And all the snickers are gone from the leftover Halloween candy... :madash

It makes sense.

Given he did more with less statement, the thought was a coach of his expierence could come into Nebraska and win right away, and I was not expecting 10-12 win seasons, I thought the first year was a 7-8 win type season, then we progressed the following years. But, instead, somehow this man has completely failed and this is suddenly the worst Nebraska team in the last 40 years. And Callahan was here not too long ago!

I figured after the hire Riley was here at max 5 years, regardless of success because he is 62. I figured he would come in and we would feel good about the first year and he would start to have his success, then retire...Then we have to rebuild again.

Those saying let him have 4 years. Ok? So we rebuild in 4 years? Or just admit the mistake now, adn rebuild immediately. Plus, with how bad this season is, next year is a rebuilding year anyways. Just move on here. No need to keep a failure around.

I think the only more with less MR is doing is losing more games in less time than any other Husker coach in history.

It makes sense.

Given he did more with less statement, the thought was a coach of his expierence could come into Nebraska and win right away, and I was not expecting 10-12 win seasons, I thought the first year was a 7-8 win type season, then we progressed the following years. But, instead, somehow this man has completely failed and this is suddenly the worst Nebraska team in the last 40 years. And Callahan was here not too long ago!

I figured after the hire Riley was here at max 5 years, regardless of success because he is 62. I figured he would come in and we would feel good about the first year and he would start to have his success, then retire...Then we have to rebuild again.

Those saying let him have 4 years. Ok? So we rebuild in 4 years? Or just admit the mistake now, adn rebuild immediately. Plus, with how bad this season is, next year is a rebuilding year anyways. Just move on here. No need to keep a failure around.

I think the only more with less MR is doing is losing more games in less time than any other Husker coach in history.