Keeping Bo Pelini was "the safest possible strategy." -Pick Six Podcast (11/3)

Kernal

I hope that those two checked the fire regs compliance in their building before dragging that amount of straw in.

The prudent move would have been to (a) support Pelini from day 1 of SE's hopefully short tenure, and (b) let this season play out under Bo.

If the talent was as bad as people now claim, the team would have crashed (close to) equally. If they'd had the season many of us think would have been possible without the firing, then we'd all be happy (other than those who harbor personal ill will toward Bo based on their feelings being hurt when called out as a fair weather fan).

• Fire 1

The thoughts of some people that we should have kept Bo (based on hindsight) is such a loser's mentality. Bo got the boot because in every game that really meant something, we got our asses curb stomped in embarrassing fashion, and he always seemed to have 1 game a year against an inferior opponent where his team just didn't show up, or he got completely out-coached.

The Riley hire isn't working out right now like anyone hoped it would. Like many have said, everyone knew there would be growing pains, but this season has been much more than that. 3-6 and losing to Purdue and Illinois has just doomed Mike Riley, and unless he can get things rolling next year and win 8 to 10 games, he could be in trouble as early as next season. That's really unfortunate because the guy wins me over every time I hear him speak. I really do think that with better player leadership, this team might be undefeated right now, despite our poor performance on defense, the running game, special teams, the turnover margin, and penalties.

Wow that's a long list...

They talk about this some more later in the podcast, about how Nebraska needs to decide, AND EXPRESS, what is the standard here. Is it 8 or 9 wins? Is it 7 wins? Is it championships? And they talk about how what the expectation here is affects how coaches approach the season: do they have time to build, recruit, implement their offense, etc., or should they be winning 7-9 games at all costs- even at the expense of making larger changes that build more toward the future.

If you have time, give it a listen.

The thoughts of some people that we should have kept Bo (based on hindsight) is such a loser's mentality. Bo got the boot because in every game that really meant something, we got our asses curb stomped in embarrassing fashion, and he always seemed to have 1 game a year against an inferior opponent where his team just didn't show up, or he got completely out-coached.

The Riley hire isn't working out right now like anyone hoped it would. Like many have said, everyone knew there would be growing pains, but this season has been much more than that. 3-6 and losing to Purdue and Illinois has just doomed Mike Riley, and unless he can get things rolling next year and win 8 to 10 games, he could be in trouble as early as next season. That's really unfortunate because the guy wins me over every time I hear him speak. I really do think that with better player leadership, this team might be undefeated right now, despite our poor performance on defense, the running game, special teams, the turnover margin, and penalties.

Wow that's a long list...

So the answer was hiring someone who has us losing to Illinois and being manhandled by a 1-6 Purdue team?

Once again just so I'm clear. I wanted Bo fired for various reasons, but I also wanted a halfway decent coach as a replacement. Sorry being nice isn't enough. Riley's record for his career speaks for itself somewhere around 110-120 for college and NFL. And he's in his 60's. It's not like he's going to change and hit his stride once Medicare kicks in at age 65. We got exactly what was in front of us on paper when this hire was made

The Firing: Was Correct

The Hiring: Was Wrong

How hard is this?

Bo Pelini was hired December 3, 2007.

Mike Riley was hired December 4, 2014.

Today's date is November 3, 2015.

How hard is this?

Well, you must admit that currently it is the wrong hire, right? That is all we have to go on...and the last 30 years of his coaching career.

How hard is this?

How hard is this?

Well, you must admit that currently it is the wrong hire, right? That is all we have to go on...and the last 30 years of his coaching career.

You don't have to constantly reassess your decisions. Did you think Pelini was the wrong hire when he started his tenure 3-3? Many people think you never judge a coach in his first year.

How hard is this?

How hard is this?

You don't have to constantly reassess your decisions. Did you think Pelini was the wrong hire when he started his tenure 3-3? Many people think you never judge a coach in his first year.

Pelini took over a 5-7 team. .500 was an improvement.

Riley took over a 9-4 team. 3-6 is not an improvement.

• Fire 4

How hard is this?

How hard is this?

I'm not sure yet.

We are 3-6. We've lost 5 of those games by a total of 13 points. We've been competitive and down to the wire with the same teams that have been competitive with us in the past aside from Purdue and Illinois. We destroyed a Minnesota team that has proven to be capable of beating us in the past. We went down to the wire with a Wisconsin team that has proven capable of destroying us in the past.

I'm not over reacting to the win/loss record. I've watched the games. I've seen the same inconsistent team doing the same things they've always done. What I haven't seen is the couple of guys we used to have that could make something out of nothing and carry this team on their backs.

I'd like to think the leaders in this program and the big money behind it, are smart enough not to overreact either. These guys deserve a chance to do their jobs. Just like anybody else in any profession. This is hardly "their" team yet.

• Fire 4