Keeping Bo Pelini was "the safest possible strategy." -Pick Six Podcast (11/3)

Kernal

Here's another extremely obvious point: you make a hire, you give him and his assistants some support and some time.Sometimes, the obvious bears repeating ...

As always, the question is how much time. That is far from an obvious answer.

Let's look at a non coaching, non football example. Daniel Murphy of the Mets. If you looked at him, in the moment, at 3 separate points the past few month (prior to the postseason, after his monstrous nlds/cs, and after the World Series that saw a bad bat and costly fielding) you may come up with 3 very different valuations to his worth. This happens all of the time in professional sports where the guy you think your not/signing is a picture reflective of different points in time. That's why sometimes a guy is let go only to have a great season somewhere else, or sometimes re-signed for big money that future performances don't reflect.

As hard as it is to get this timing right with players, whom have a direct influence, imagine how hard it is with coaches whom have an indirect influence. It's harder to evaluate, but you still must evaluate and decide if the job being done is moving towards your stated goals.

That's true, brophog. However, more than one year is a no brainer -- especially when talking about a player, not a coach. At this point, Riley has had barely a chance to mold this team in his image. He likely won't be starting a QB of his own recruiting/molding until his 3rd year, but it's possible he'll fall so flat in the first two that he won't even get that chance.

That's true, brophog. However, more than one year is a no brainer -- especially when talking about a player, not a coach. At this point, Riley has had barely a chance to mold this team in his image. He likely won't be starting a QB of his own recruiting/molding until his 3rd year, but it's possible he'll fall so flat in the first two that he won't even get that chance.

If next year gets off to a rough start and the offense continues to sputter I think he would almost have to play POB wouldn't he? He knows he won't survive another year like this. He'd have to go all in I would think

Here's another extremely obvious point: you make a hire, you give him and his assistants some support and some time.Sometimes, the obvious bears repeating ...

Which is what worries me...if the press conferences continue to be rough...Riley and his staff might leave for one of the many openings that have already been reported.

What exactly worries you about it? You might be the most bipolar poster I know. One minute you're trashing MR and anything to do with him and the next you're worried he might take another job? Then you're trolling for hate and discontent in status updates. You confuse the hell out of me cause you are constantly all over the place. The only thing that is consistent is boozing with your buddies, Tanners, and what time is everyone leaving for the game.

BTW, MR leaving of his own free will would probably be the only good way for us to get out of this current mess.

• Fire 3

I'm still waiting for the other 147 local sports guys to weigh in before I give an opinion about whether Pelini should've coached two more years out of his contract to avoid the current situation that the big money boosters are in.

While I'm waiting I'll do a hindsight guess on how many of this years games Pelini/Beck would've won....hmmmmmm................

Okay, went to HMax and looked at the schedule and my guess is the Pelini/Beck team loses to Miami and we're 8-1. Maybe they show up to another game with their heads up their butt and we're 7-2.

It's really comical, in a sad kind of way, to listen to the local propagandists analyze the mess they made.

• Fire 1

Which is what worries me...if the press conferences continue to be rough...Riley and his staff might leave for one of the many openings that have already been reported.

What exactly worries you about it? You might be the most bipolar poster I know. One minute you're trashing MR and anything to do with him and the next you're worried he might take another job? Then you're trolling for hate and discontent in status updates. You confuse the hell out of me cause you are constantly all over the place. The only thing that is consistent is boozing with your buddies, Tanners, and what time is everyone leaving for the game.

BTW, MR leaving of his own free will would probably be the only good way for us to get out of this current mess.

Ha...I was kidding. All we heard is how USC and BAMA wanted him...now there are 10 openings (USC included) and there will not be one school that calls asking about him.

MeKewon:You'd have to be INSANE to think that anybody could have come into that program and win a conference championsip with that roster and that group of people.

Ahem:

Shawn Eichorst, November 30th 2014: "At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships."

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/11/30/7310255/nebraska-huskers-football-bo-pelini-shawn-eichorst-press-conference

• Fire 5

MeKewon:You'd have to be INSANE to think that anybody could have come into that program and win a conference championsip with that roster and that group of people.

Ahem:

Shawn Eichorst, November 30th 2014: "At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships."

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/11/30/7310255/nebraska-huskers-football-bo-pelini-shawn-eichorst-press-conference

Hahaha

Ha...I was kidding. All we heard is how USC and BAMA wanted him...now there are 10 openings (USC included) and there will not be one school that calls asking about him.

You're gonna have to start using sarcasm tags or something. I can't tell with you.

Ahem:

Those two statements are unrelated. Where does Eichorst say we will win a championship in 2015, 2016, or 2017?

Yeah what's the logic here? If we can't win them all then we might as well be in the basement and get blown out by Purdue? There is a big difference between 3 and 8 or 9. And I wanted Bo gone last year. I just didn't in my wildest dreams think they would replace him with someone an order of magnitude worse

The logic isn't, "Oh if we can't win championships then winning 1 or 9 is the same thing." The logic is that sometimes, you actually need a season with 3 to clean out, reevaluate, and spark the possibility to get to 12. Bo was stuck at 9 because he was unwilling or unable to change and grow. Think of it like a house. Your house probably has some problems, and you can keep spending x amount of money to maintain them per year, and have that always happen, or you can drop the several grand to redo the literal or metaphorical foundation, at which point your ROI becomes a lot greater.

According to Harvey, this is how Nebraska works:

If you have a coach who never has losing seasons and wins 9 games or more, no patience.

If you have a loser who has losing seasons, have patience.

How is 7 years "no patience"? Lol. That's got to, at least, be a little patience.

Ahem:

I realize you're being facetious, but something that a public official said in a press conference as PC fluff words can hardly be used as ammunition against them compared to something that someone else said in an honest, equal footed conversation.

• Fire 5

Since this is the "hypothetical" thread, what happens if next year, and the year after, we're only hovering around .500 with no chance at the CCG? Will you stand by what you're saying now?

He's a nice guy, cares for the kids he coaches, which I admire, but he looks like he's in wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy over his head.

There's a big difference from being able to hide in the lower tier of the Pac 10/12, and having to lead a program with a storied tradition.