Keeping Bo Pelini was "the safest possible strategy." -Pick Six Podcast (11/3)

Kernal

WHOOOOOOSHHHHH!

Feel free to post a link to my actual comments instead of more of your weak paraphrasing and I'll try to explain it to you.

Just scroll up to post #117 on this thread.

If you've got a second, glance at the number of +1s in the lower right hand corner.

Apparently you didn't understand the question. That's the post I responded to. You said "When I pointed out that Bo Pelini inherited a 7- 5 team at Youngstown State, brought in some of his own Power 5 studs, and is now coaching sub-500 football and complaining about the 14,000 seat stadium being half-full, you insisted that context was everything. "

So where is the link to the bolded? Then I'll try to explain it in terms you'll understand. (I'm trying to be optimistic.)

Well, it's a conundrum, actually.

In my opinion, NU should never fire a coach who's winning 9+ a season, because it's unlikely that a new coach has a better chance of bettering that result than the existing coach has of "figuring it out" and bettering it.

However, with Riley, he'd be really old at that point, so the chances of him figuring it out are diminished.

I'll add one other thought, which I know isn't popular, and maybe I hold onto it because I really don't have my ego wrapped up in Husker football: .700 and a clean program is completely acceptable to me, and though I'd love for kids to win championships at Nebraska, I think that's a valuable and meaningful experience for players to be part of a consistently solid program.

I just won't get on board with firing a .700+ coach in hopes of getting an .800+ coach when I realize that downside risk for these players is so great.

If Nebraska had kept Pelini and he never won a conference title and never won anything more than 9 games for the next 25 years, but maintained graduation rates and low off-the-field problems, you would have been completely OK with that? Does that also mean you would've never issued a gripe or concern about this program getting over the hump?

I find that hard to believe.

Regardless, even if that is true, I think most people understand there are risks associated with firing a .700 coach in favor of trying to find one who is better. The problem is that this university, this fan base, the economic machine that is Nebraska football, wasn't built on .700 win seasons. It was built on winning conference titles and championships. That's what built the brand and the fan base, and what drives literally tens of millions of dollars into the state for every year.

If Bo Pelini had stayed and never won anything of substance, attendance would've dropped, profits would've dropped and the fan base would've continued to stop caring.

I get what you're saying but it just isn't realistic.

Furthermore, think about the two audiotapes and the sideline antics we saw from Bo. That's how he responded to adversity-- his true colors. I'm so grateful for Team Jack and by all means removed from his profession he seemed to be a standup guy. But, when you're squeezed in life, your true colors come out, and he met adversity a LOT throughout the course of his job.

Remove yourself from the on-field results, records, chances for a trophy, etc.

Is that behavior and ideologies you want him passing on to student athletes at our school? Are you ok with him shaping young men as they go out into the real world and teaching them that's what type of man you should be? That's how you should respond when life gets challenging?

I'm sure as hell not.

• Fire 3

WHOOOOOOSHHHHH!

Feel free to post a link to my actual comments instead of more of your weak paraphrasing and I'll try to explain it to you.

If you've got a second, glance at the number of +1s in the lower right hand corner.

Apparently you didn't understand the question. That's the post I responded to. You said "When I pointed out that Bo Pelini inherited a 7- 5 team at Youngstown State, brought in some of his own Power 5 studs, and is now coaching sub-500 football and complaining about the 14,000 seat stadium being half-full, you insisted that context was everything. "

So where is the link to the bolded? Then I'll try to explain it in terms you'll understand. (I'm trying to be optimistic.)

Jesus, dude. The fact that you defended Bo by trying to put his Youngstown State shortcomings in context WAS the context.

If you make me write another post on this, I'm billing you for my time.

• Fire 1

WHOOOOOOSHHHHH!

Jesus, dude. The fact that you defended Bo by trying to put his Youngstown State shortcomings in context WAS the context.

Bill away. I would like a link to what the hell you're talking about in post #117. Where did you point out Bo's shortcomings and where did I insist that context was everything?

See, you have a habit of putting words in my mouth I didn't say. Back it up or retract it.

WHOOOOOOSHHHHH!

Bill away. I would like a link to what the hell you're talking about in post #117. Where did you point out Bo's shortcomings and where did I insist that context was everything?

See, you have a habit of putting words in my mouth I didn't say. Back it up or retract it.

47221289.jpg