Keeping Bo Pelini was "the safest possible strategy." -Pick Six Podcast (11/3)

Kernal

I'll add one other thought, which I know isn't popular, and maybe I hold onto it because I really don't have my ego wrapped up in Husker football: .700 and a clean program is completely acceptable to me, and though I'd love for kids to win championships at Nebraska, I think that's a valuable and meaningful experience for players to be part of a consistently solid program.

I just won't get on board with firing a .700+ coach in hopes of getting an .800+ coach when I realize that downside risk for these players is so great.

I think a clean program and solid leadership of young men is important, too, but the coach who literally spits in the face of his assistant coaches, pits the players against the fans to protect his own shortcomings, fields a team that consistently reflects his own lack of discipline, and calls his boss a kunt, adding to his national reputation as the thin-skinned hothead who represents Nebraska, challenges my definition of "clean." His brother, the defensive coordinator, would have been my favorite uncle, but perhaps not the standard definition of clean, either.

The other winning HC who got fired also enjoyed alcohol and young women who weren't his wife.

Both were fired for not winning the right games. Their personal liabilities simply made it easier. Or maybe it was the other way around.

Either way, let's not kid ourselves. This is still about winning football games, something Mike Riley needs to do very quickly.

If it was about clean programs and meaningful experience, we'd be considering Shawn Eichorst's efforts on behalf of the multi-faceted UNL athletic program, including a new national profile for baseball, basketball, women's volleyball and more.

A few people in this thread get it. A few other people's attitude is the reason we are where we are.

If 9 wins is a firing offense, we might as well close the doors and turn out the lights.

It wasn't his W/L record that got him fired. Once you get past that, then you can start to look at the reasons why we are having such a bad season without blindly blaming the current staff for every problem, real and imagined.

• Fire 5

MeKewon:You'd have to be INSANE to think that anybody could have come into that program and win a conference championsip with that roster and that group of people.

Ahem:

Shawn Eichorst, November 30th 2014: "At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships."

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/11/30/7310255/nebraska-huskers-football-bo-pelini-shawn-eichorst-press-conference

Those two statements are unrelated. Where does Eichorst say we will win a championship in 2015, 2016, or 2017?

So... this program has the players to win championships, but not before they all graduate.

Interesting perspective

Did he say we have every player at all the right positions we need to win championships? Would he even know, or was that just positive talk? What's he supposed to say: "Our players are sh#t!"

Your perspective is not interesting. It's repetitive.

And how are you any different? You are just the mirror image on the other side. Why is it ok for you to pump the same "Remain calm all is well" mantra but CM can't do the same with his viewpoint?

An echo chamber is fine as long as it's YOUR echo chamber right?

How am I different? My opinions change based on new information. CM has been saying the exact same thing for years, and will find ways to sneak in a defense of Pelini into every thread no matter the topic. Just keep watching, you'll see.

I am not defending Riley, I'm defending the idea that you don't judge a coach in his first year. I don't think "all is well," but considering the nature of some of the close losses, injuries and the cultural problems that have been exposed (new information) I'm not terribly surprised we're 3-6- even though I expected 9-10 wins this year.

Osborne twice set Nebtadka up for sustained success with promising first time coaches that he helped mold.

Twice we let egomaniacal or incompetent Admins wreck those plans.

I wonder why we are getting the same results as the other fan bases that let the inmates run the asylum.

Osborne made two poor choices for HC. Frank is doing alright at Ohio, but he isn't exactly lighting the world on fire with a 77-59 record. In 11 seasons, only 5 of them have had a winning record (it's looking good for him so far this year though). Ohio isn't exactly a power 5 team either. If Frank was the world beater coach you think he is he would have likely had all undefeated seasons. And if Osborne mentored him so well, why hasn't this scenario played out?

Pelini is 3-4 at Younstown St. 3-4. If he was as good as you say he is, then why is he at sub .500 now? He should just go coach those guys up right? Oh yeah, Youngstown St isn't exactly a power 5 school either. Pelini's record clearly shows his ceiling was 9/10 wins a year with 4 losses every year except 2014 where he only had 3. Bo wasn't fired because of his W/L record though, he was fired because he was a jackass. Period.

Fact is, neither coach was nearly as good as you think they were. Both rode the coat tails of better mens recruiting efforts. If these two were such fantastic coaches they would have landed better jobs than they did after their stints at Nebraska. AFAIK, in 11 years NO ONE has come calling to Solich offering him a better job than Ohio, I don't expect anything different for Pelini.

• Fire 2

I'll add one other thought, which I know isn't popular, and maybe I hold onto it because I really don't have my ego wrapped up in Husker football: .700 and a clean program is completely acceptable to me, and though I'd love for kids to win championships at Nebraska, I think that's a valuable and meaningful experience for players to be part of a consistently solid program.

I just won't get on board with firing a .700+ coach in hopes of getting an .800+ coach when I realize that downside risk for these players is so great.

I think a clean program and solid leadership of young men is important, too, but the coach who literally spits in the face of his assistant coaches, pits the players against the fans to protect his own shortcomings, fields a team that consistently reflects his own lack of discipline, and calls his boss a kunt, adding to his national reputation as the thin-skinned hothead who represents Nebraska, challenges my definition of "clean." His brother, the defensive coordinator, would have been my favorite uncle, but perhaps not the standard definition of clean, either.

The other winning HC who got fired also enjoyed alcohol and young women who weren't his wife.

Both were fired for not winning the right games. Their personal liabilities simply made it easier. Or maybe it was the other way around.

Either way, let's not kid ourselves. This is still about winning football games, something Mike Riley needs to do very quickly.

If it was about clean programs and meaningful experience, we'd be considering Shawn Eichorst's efforts on behalf of the multi-faceted UNL athletic program, including a new national profile for baseball, basketball, women's volleyball and more.

When those young women are coeds (as they were in this case) that has the potential to be really bad for the University. It also shows a serious lack of judgement on his part. As did his DUI in Ohio.

MeKewon:You'd have to be INSANE to think that anybody could have come into that program and win a conference championsip with that roster and that group of people.

Ahem:

Shawn Eichorst, November 30th 2014: "At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships."

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/11/30/7310255/nebraska-huskers-football-bo-pelini-shawn-eichorst-press-conference

Those two statements are unrelated. Where does Eichorst say we will win a championship in 2015, 2016, or 2017?

So... this program has the players to win championships, but not before they all graduate.

Interesting perspective

Did he say we have every player at all the right positions we need to win championships? Would he even know, or was that just positive talk? What's he supposed to say: "Our players are sh#t!"

Your perspective is not interesting. It's repetitive.

And how are you any different? You are just the mirror image on the other side. Why is it ok for you to pump the same "Remain calm all is well" mantra but CM can't do the same with his viewpoint?

An echo chamber is fine as long as it's YOUR echo chamber right?

How am I different? My opinions change based on new information. CM has been saying the exact same thing for years, and will find ways to sneak in a defense of Pelini into every thread no matter the topic. Just keep watching, you'll see.

I am not defending Riley, I'm defending the idea that you don't judge a coach in his first year. I don't think "all is well," but considering the nature of some of the close losses, injuries and the cultural problems that have been exposed (new information) I'm not terribly surprised we're 3-6- even though I expected 9-10 wins this year.

I've been around longer then you think. I just lurk alot and don't post much. In familiar with most of the posters and their opinions. Really you two are on opposite sides of this issue and don't agree. I just don't think it makes CM's opinions any less valid then yours on the Riley issue. You just don't like his opinion and as much as you say he injects some defense of Pelini into every thread, you follow that up by attacking his opinion just as repetitively. I think you can defend your position without personally attacking him every time he expresses his.

While you can't judge a coach in his first year based purely on record, its perfectly fair game to look at a guy who has 30 years of coaching experience make remedial clock management errors and have a team regress this badly through the course of a season and see a giant red flag. He doesn't appear to adjust or learn from mistakes and he has put together the worst staff I have ever seen.

If he at least addresses the issues at OC or DC at the end of the year, I will shut up and wait to see what happens in year two.

Well, it's a conundrum, actually.

In my opinion, NU should never fire a coach who's winning 9+ a season, because it's unlikely that a new coach has a better chance of bettering that result than the existing coach has of "figuring it out" and bettering it.

However, with Riley, he'd be really old at that point, so the chances of him figuring it out are diminished.

If Nebraska had kept Pelini and he never won a conference title and never won anything more than 9 games for the next 25 years, but maintained graduation rates and low off-the-field problems, you would have been completely OK with that? Does that also mean you would've never issued a gripe or concern about this program getting over the hump?

I find that hard to believe.

Regardless, even if that is true, I think most people understand there are risks associated with firing a .700 coach in favor of trying to find one who is better. The problem is that this university, this fan base, the economic machine that is Nebraska football, wasn't built on .700 win seasons. It was built on winning conference titles and championships. That's what built the brand and the fan base, and what drives literally tens of millions of dollars into the state for every year.

If Bo Pelini had stayed and never won anything of substance, attendance would've dropped, profits would've dropped and the fan base would've continued to stop caring.

I get what you're saying but it just isn't realistic.

Keep spreading the lies. Hopefully, Frank's attorney sees them at some point.

Keep spreading the lies. Hopefully, Frank's attorney sees them at some point.

Frank's a good guy and a good coach and I didn't agree with his firing.

But I'm not the least bit worried about the veracity of this claim.

There is no magic number of games or years that you MUST have before judging a coach.

If you have a coach whose team plays competive and is within a few points of the point spread in each game, it's kind of hard to judge him no matter the results.

But when you have enough of an extreme, you can judge by the first game. If you had a new coach who took over for a team that hasn't won a game in multiple seasons, and he opened with his first game at Alabama and he beat them 56-0, what more do you need to know? You've got a coach.

When you have a guy come in and take over a team that consistently wins at least 9 games a year and he takes them to their worst season in over 50 years and the most losses in school history, one season is plenty to judge that you've got a sub-mediocre coach. (Any AD with a lick of sense would've suspected as much before hiring him.)

Huh. When I pointed out that Bo Pelini inherited a 7- 5 team at Youngstown State, brought in some of his own Power 5 studs, and is now coaching sub-500 football and complaining about the 14,000 seat stadium being half-full, you insisted that context was everything.

Apparently you don't understand what context means. My post was ALL about context.

• Fire 1

Good ole Guy, still fighting the good fight. I applaud you sir. But it's a losing battle.

Pretty much, why I gave up. It isn't worth wrestling with pigs. You just end up muddy as hell, and the pig's love it.

I'll just stay over here, and root for my Huskers. Win or lose. They are still my team, and the proverbial pigs carrying their pitchforks and torches can just have this board to themselves.