Keeping Bo Pelini was "the safest possible strategy." -Pick Six Podcast (11/3)

Kernal

It's not about winning only 9. It's about always being in a solid position to bounce up, should the right circumstances present themselves.

The chances Bo had to do that, he screwed up fabulously. And they hit the nail exactly on the head: his entire culture was about resenting the fact that anybody wanted to do anything more.

It's why a team captain from last year's squad is laughing at fans who wanted Bo gone for going 9-4.

Their priorities were so far out of order. I agree wholeheartedly with Sam's perspective.

Spot on. +1

Since this is the "hypothetical" thread, what happens if next year, and the year after, we're only hovering around .500 with no chance at the CCG? Will you stand by what you're saying now?

He's a nice guy, cares for the kids he coaches, which I admire, but he looks like he's in wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy over his head.

There's a big difference from being able to hide in the lower tier of the Pac 10/12, and having to lead a program with a storied tradition.

This is what I have thought as well...

MeKewon:You'd have to be INSANE to think that anybody could have come into that program and win a conference championsip with that roster and that group of people.

Ahem:

Shawn Eichorst, November 30th 2014: "At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships."

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/11/30/7310255/nebraska-huskers-football-bo-pelini-shawn-eichorst-press-conference

Those two statements are unrelated. Where does Eichorst say we will win a championship in 2015, 2016, or 2017?

Well, the players only have 4 years of eligibility, so...

• Fire 1

Bo did in fact win a "type of title" when he got the team to a ccg in the new expanded conference format. People want to discount that and that's fine. But he did.

True. And before Bo got hired, Callahan got the Huskers in the Conference Championship Game at the end of 2006. A year later or so he was fired.

MeKewon:You'd have to be INSANE to think that anybody could have come into that program and win a conference championsip with that roster and that group of people.

Ahem:

Shawn Eichorst, November 30th 2014: "At the end of the day, I think we have kids in our program that are capable of winning championships."

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/11/30/7310255/nebraska-huskers-football-bo-pelini-shawn-eichorst-press-conference

I realize you're being facetious, but something that a public official said in a press conference as PC fluff words can hardly be used as ammunition against them compared to something that someone else said in an honest, equal footed conversation.

That was from the Q&A portion, But I don't trust the guy anyway. Also, though nobody really thought we would win the B1G this year, lots of people picked us to win the division.

• Fire 1

Ahem:

I realize you're being facetious, but something that a public official said in a press conference as PC fluff words can hardly be used as ammunition against them compared to something that someone else said in an honest, equal footed conversation.

That was from the Q&A portion, But I don't trust the guy anyway. Also, though nobody really thought we would win the B1G this year, lots of people picked us to win the division.

Pesky facts.

This is a crazy season alright.

And you know what's really wild?

Every University has seasons like this in their storied tradition.

Nebraska's 40 year run was unprecedented but overdue for a bit of chaos.

Yeah, the run was really due to Devaney and Osborne, and really it was mostly Osborne's 25 years. Nebraska's football identity can't be one hall-of-fame coach's record of accomplishments. If it is, we will always be disappointed. I doubt there will ever be another Osborne or another era like 72-97.

Ahem:

Those two statements are unrelated. Where does Eichorst say we will win a championship in 2015, 2016, or 2017?

So... this program has the players to win championships, but not before they all graduate.

Interesting perspective

• Fire 1

This is a crazy season alright.

And you know what's really wild?

Every University has seasons like this in their storied tradition.

Nebraska's 40 year run was unprecedented but overdue for a bit of chaos.

Yeah, the run was really due to Devaney and Osborne, and really it was mostly Osborne's 25 years. Nebraska's football identity can't be one hall-of-fame coach's record of accomplishments. If it is, we will always be disappointed. I doubt there will ever be another Osborne or another era like 72-97.

There will never be another Osborne, especially at the rate we fire successful coaches and replace them with average to sh**ty ones.

• Fire 1

Ahem:

So... this program has the players to win championships, but not before they all graduate.

Interesting perspective

Did he say we have every player at all the right positions we need to win championships? Would he even know, or was that just positive talk? What's he supposed to say: "Our players are sh#t!"

Your perspective is not interesting. It's repetitive.

• Fire 3

Ahem:

Interesting perspective

Did he say we have every player at all the right positions we need to win championships? Would he even know, or was that just positive talk? What's he supposed to say: "Our players are sh#t!"

Continuing to support this admin in the face of all the evidence of its failure is repetitive. And damaging
  • Fire 2

Ahem:

Interesting perspective

Continuing to support this admin in the face of all the evidence of its failure is repetitive. And damaging

Keep beating that Bo Pelini was wronged drum.

• Fire 3

Ahem:

Interesting perspective

I don't blindly support this administration. I think Shawn Eichorst should have chased Bo Pelini to Youngstown and beaten him with a sack of doorknobs to get some of the University's money back, but hey, what can you do?

• Fire 3