Recruiting Comparison

BIG ERN

*Players highlighted in red also played for the following coach. Only notable players shown

In Callahan's 4th season (2007) he was still starting 7 Solich recruits on offense.

So, what criteria did you pull out of your butt to determine who was "notable"?

Who was a good starter on offense that year that was from Solich?? Joe Dailey doesn't count

Joe Dailey was long gone before 2007. Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Nate Swift was one. Obviously, he fit your mysterious "notable" criteria, but you have him listed as a Callahan recruit. He was Solich's first commit for the '04 class. Committed in June of '03.

There are tons more examples. Dane Todd was a Solich kid. He made first team All Big 12 for Callahan in '06. There were also about 14 guys on Callahan's first roster that went on to sign NFL contracts.

Just start over and list all the players.

Why do you talk to people like that and what makes you think it's okay? Maybe even bigger question is why do the mods here continue to ignore it?

Big Ern stated in his first post he wasn't placing any bias on anything. He was just compiling a list the best he could and opening the discussion for debate. It's a message board. That's kind of the point.

Then here you come telling him he's pulled things "out of his ass" as if he's got an agenda. You're the one with an agenda and apparently you get to be outright disrespectful to people to prove it.

In other words, inserting his bias. As we all tend to do. But, in fact, that is a form of pulling it out of your ass.

He completely left off several Solich recruits who went on to play for Callahan and then were drafted by the NFL, and then he lists Callahan recruits in red as "notable" when they didn't make much of a contribution and were not drafted.

So, yeah. Bias. I'll try not to use the other words that upset the emos.

• Fire 2

*Players highlighted in red also played for the following coach. Only notable players shown

In Callahan's 4th season (2007) he was still starting 7 Solich recruits on offense.

Who was a good starter on offense that year that was from Solich?? Joe Dailey doesn't count

Joe Dailey was long gone before 2007. Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Nate Swift was one. Obviously, he fit your mysterious "notable" criteria, but you have him listed as a Callahan recruit. He was Solich's first commit for the '04 class. Committed in June of '03.

There are tons more examples. Dane Todd was a Solich kid. He made first team All Big 12 for Callahan in '06. There were also about 14 guys on Callahan's first roster that went on to sign NFL contracts.

I am confused as you note 2007, yet Todd graduated in 06'. He had 3 carries the whole season. I guess I didn't understand your questions as I have no agenda at all if you can read.

Callahan kept Swift - he graduated in 04' technically making him a Callahan recruit. No different than the guys who Riley kept and recruited in 15'.

You named 1 person who was a good blocker. Being a starter doesn't make you a good player, especially most of the early years listed. A few more guys could have made the list I'm sure, but noted the main guys.

Again, please list if you wish.

2007 Nebraska Depth Chart
OFFENSE
LT: 77 Carl Nicks* (6-5, 330, Sr., Salinas, Calif.)
65 Mike Smith (6-6, 290, RFr., Las Vegas, Nev.)
LG: 62 Andy Christensen* (6-3, 305, Jr., Bennington, Neb.)
69 Jordan Picou (6-2, 305, Sr., Rialto, Calif.)
C: 59 Brett Byford* (6-3, 300, Sr., Hartselle, Ala.)
67 Jacob Hickman* (6-4, 285, Soph., Bakersfield, Calif.)
RG: 61 Mike Huff** (6-4, 300, Jr.)/70 Matt Slauson** (6-5, 335, Jr.)
68 Keith Williams (6-5, 310, RFr., Florissant, Mo.)
RT: 76 Lydon Murtha** (6-7, 310, Jr., Hutchinson, Minn.)
73 D.J. Jones (6-5, 310, RFr., Omaha, Neb.)
WR (X): 87 Nate Swift** (6-2, 200, Jr., Hutchinson, Minn.)
17 Todd Peterson** (6-4, 210, Jr., Grand Island, Neb.)
WR (Z): 83 Terrence Nunn*** (6-0, 190, Sr., Houston, Texas)
7 Frantz Hardy** (6-1, 190, Sr., Miami, Fla.)
26 Dan Erickson** (6-1, 195, Sr., Omaha, Neb.)
24 Niles Paul (6-1, 210, Fr., Omaha, Neb.)
IB: 5 Marlon Lucky** (6-0, 210, Jr., North Hollywood, Calif.)
19 Quentin Castille (6-1, 245, Fr., LaPorte, Texas)
10 Roy Helu (6-0, 210, Fr., Danville, Calif.)
QB: 9 Sam Keller (6-4, 230, Sr., Danville, Calif.)
12 Joe Ganz* (6-1, 200, Jr., Palos Heights, Ill.)
H-BACK: 85 J.B. Phillips** (6-3, 245, Sr., Colleyville, Texas)
81 Josh Mueller*** (6-5, 265, Jr., Columbus, Neb.)
49 Dreu Young (6-4, 220, RFr., Cozad, Neb.)
I only see 2 guys who would have been a freshman before 2004. Don't see how you can get 7 starters out of this that were from Solich.
  • Fire 1

LeKevin Smith, Stew Bradley and Titus Adams started for Callahan and were drafted by the NFL and were recruited by Solich. Why aren't they listed?

I'm not going to do all your work for you. There were a ton of Solich recruits who contributed and played more for Callahan than some of the Callahan recruits you listed.

• Fire 1

LeKevin Smith, Stew Bradley and Titus Adams started for Callahan and were drafted by the NFL and were recruited by Solich. Why aren't they listed?

I'm not going to do all your work for you. There were a ton of Solich recruits who contributed and played more for Callahan than some of the Callahan recruits you listed.

LeKevin Smith I will add for sure. Adams probably, Bradley maybe.

Bradley maybe?

That dude was a great backer and had a nice career in the NFL.

Granted, his talents, like one of the Ruud's and McKeon's were squandered under that staff, but he was a player.

• Fire 2

I am confused as you note 2007, yet Todd graduated in 06'. He had 3 carries the whole season. I guess I didn't understand your questions as I have no agenda at all if you can read.

Callahan kept Swift - he graduated in 04' technically making him a Callahan recruit. No different than the guys who Riley kept and recruited in 15'.

You named 1 person who was a good blocker. Being a starter doesn't make you a good player, especially most of the early years listed. A few more guys could have made the list I'm sure, but noted the main guys.

Again, please list if you wish.

2007 Nebraska Depth Chart
OFFENSE
LT: 77 Carl Nicks* (6-5, 330, Sr., Salinas, Calif.)
65 Mike Smith (6-6, 290, RFr., Las Vegas, Nev.)
LG: 62 Andy Christensen* (6-3, 305, Jr., Bennington, Neb.)
69 Jordan Picou (6-2, 305, Sr., Rialto, Calif.)
C: 59 Brett Byford* (6-3, 300, Sr., Hartselle, Ala.)
67 Jacob Hickman* (6-4, 285, Soph., Bakersfield, Calif.)
RG: 61 Mike Huff** (6-4, 300, Jr.)/70 Matt Slauson** (6-5, 335, Jr.)
68 Keith Williams (6-5, 310, RFr., Florissant, Mo.)
RT: 76 Lydon Murtha** (6-7, 310, Jr., Hutchinson, Minn.)
73 D.J. Jones (6-5, 310, RFr., Omaha, Neb.)
WR (X): 87 Nate Swift** (6-2, 200, Jr., Hutchinson, Minn.)
17 Todd Peterson** (6-4, 210, Jr., Grand Island, Neb.)
WR (Z): 83 Terrence Nunn*** (6-0, 190, Sr., Houston, Texas)
7 Frantz Hardy** (6-1, 190, Sr., Miami, Fla.)
26 Dan Erickson** (6-1, 195, Sr., Omaha, Neb.)
24 Niles Paul (6-1, 210, Fr., Omaha, Neb.)
IB: 5 Marlon Lucky** (6-0, 210, Jr., North Hollywood, Calif.)
19 Quentin Castille (6-1, 245, Fr., LaPorte, Texas)
10 Roy Helu (6-0, 210, Fr., Danville, Calif.)
QB: 9 Sam Keller (6-4, 230, Sr., Danville, Calif.)
12 Joe Ganz* (6-1, 200, Jr., Palos Heights, Ill.)
H-BACK: 85 J.B. Phillips** (6-3, 245, Sr., Colleyville, Texas)
81 Josh Mueller*** (6-5, 265, Jr., Columbus, Neb.)
49 Dreu Young (6-4, 220, RFr., Cozad, Neb.)
I only see 2 guys who would have been a freshman before 2004. Don't see how you can get 7 starters out of this that were from Solich.

I bolded the Solich recruits. Swift committed to Solich in June of '03 and remained committed. Nunn is a little iffy. He originally committed to Solich, then decommitted after he was fired, and then recommitted. Also, your depth chart doesn't list fullback. The starter was Andy Sand, another Solich recruit.

Bradley maybe?

That dude was a great backer and had a nice career in the NFL.

Granted, his talents, like one of the Ruud's and McKeon's were squandered under that staff, but he was a player.

I could see why those two would be added.

I'll admit I missed a few. I am at work and was curious about the recruiting aspect over the years, and tried to make the quick post. I am cool with people calling out guys. No big deal, missed a few is all - most I didn't.

Big Ern, I apologize for the "out of your butt" comment that got so many people riled up.

It's an interesting thread. It's kinda crazy to look back at all the talent Callahan squandered in '07.

+1, sir. A step in the right direction. Nice! I wish some of the others in this thread were so civil. Just because you disagree with a poster doesn't mean you have to use scorched earth tactics to incite them.

• Fire 2

Why did you leave out Bo's 2014 class?

Ran out of time with the mix of it's a little early to say who will pan out and have good careers here besides DPE, Gates and Freedom.

Wilbon disappeared. Brown seems to have improved some lately. Cockrell, Jones, Kalu, Mosley all see PT. Mick has popped in a few times. I could list a few others who I think will be good, but who knows.

6 of those recruits are no longer on the team.

Over the years, I've probably posted at least 10 times where Solich left Clownahan in better shape talent wise than Clownahan left Bo in when taking into account the top three rounds of NFL draft status. Solich wasn't the recruiting dud he's been made out here for the last decade and a half. It's easy to see Solich concentrated his recruiting efforts on the defensive side of the ball, but he did recruit some pretty good players. We won't know for a few years just how bad or good of situation Riley inherited from Bo, but the rest is known with regards to the past coaching staffs.

The Solich firing is one thing we agree on. It should have never happened. Even if he was removed for off field reasons, I still don't believe he should have been fired. We've played some players who have done considerably worse things than having an extra marital affair.