OWH: Huskers Must Fix QB Play

Mavric

Then say it up front. Don't lie all offseason and fill the media with garbage about "adapting" and then not do it.

Plz go count the number of times Tommy ran the ball on Friday, and then compare it with the averages of Riley/Langsdorf quarterbacks in the past.

I'll bet you everything I own there's a big gap between the numbers.

You'd bet him "everything"?

What if you won the bet? Where would you put it?

Pro-style offenses are far from ancient history. They're not particularly popular right now, but that's because of trends. Trends are exactly what they are; they don't last.

Florida State

USC

Alabama recently and even still for the most part

Stanford

Georgia

Iowa

Michigan State

Michigan

Notre Dame

Oklahoma-ish depending on the year

all run relatively pro style offenses

The top teams who've won a SB in the NFL lately New England, Denver, New York, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, Seattle apply the Ernhardt-Perkins system in their offense maximizing efficiency in cold weather. I've been a huge advocate of applying this identity to our offense but I can't see MR doing this. All it is -- is a commitment to power running with short intermediate high percentage passing with occasional deep balls. It could be effective at a program like Nebraska as it is easy to install and teach to players. It would reduce turnovers a great deal.

Then say it up front. Don't lie all offseason and fill the media with garbage about "adapting" and then not do it.

Plz go count the number of times Tommy ran the ball on Friday, and then compare it with the averages of Riley/Langsdorf quarterbacks in the past.

I'll bet you everything I own there's a big gap between the numbers.

The problem isn't the number of times Tommy ran the ball. The problem is the number of times Tommy passed the ball. Tommy heaved it up there 45 times with 25 completions (and four completions to Iowa players).

Tommy has averaged nearly 35 pass attempts per game this season. He has right around a .54 percent accuracy rating for the year, which is right around where he was last year...so no big surprise.

Last season Tommy averaged around 25 passes per game. So the question I have asked here several times, and I have yet to get a reasonable answer: What coach in his right mind looks at that stat line; a QB that throws an incomplete pass or INT 45% of the time and says to himself...I want him to do that 33% more times a game?

• Fire 1