Epley's comments on Talent

Warrior10

Well, other than the fact that NU beat the team that won the B10E... And don't get me started on an average Florida team playing for an SEC championship.

NU has a talented roster.

If some on the board could drop their irrational dislike for the current staff, the answer is kinda simple. The roster is talented and deep in some positions (interior defensive players, wide receivers) and thin and less talented in others (QB, DE, LB). The roster is good in some spots and not so good in others. Does that make it talented or not talented, and how the hell do you decide?

According to some Nostradomi on this board roster depth and quality is the fault solely and exclusively of the current staff. I would include the intellectual giant who, in another thread, predicted the current staff will be gone next year.

Pretty simple: with similarly talented rosters, a fired coach won north of .700 of his games here.

Only when a coach comes in and lays an egg against a very easy schedule do we hear that the talent isn't there to continue 9+ win seasons. Of course, that's not what was said at the time of the firing last year. And it's not the case today, either.

The roster isn't perfect, but it's far better than the results that were wrung out of it.

Now cue: we only won last year because of a single player arguments.

Talent level under Frank was dropping, anyone who is honest can see that. Same with the last staff. MK III Eyeball Detector.

Frank had the #14 class in the country when he was fired, and he likely would've signed Woodhead.

Exposed again. You straight up invent crap to try to make a point.

http://dataomaha.com/neb100/player/60

"Danny Woodhead doesn’t dwell on not being recruited by Nebraska and why should he?"

HAHAHA! An article about Danny Woodhead not getting a scholarship from Callahan doesn't expose anything I said.

Solich had already recruited Woodhead to walkon, and if a bunch of blue chips didn't fall into place by signing day, he would have gotten a full ride.

Solich and Nebraska had only contacted Woodhead once. They didn't even recruit him to walk-on.

Well, other than the fact that NU beat the team that won the B10E... And don't get me started on an average Florida team playing for an SEC championship.

If some on the board could drop their irrational dislike for the current staff, the answer is kinda simple. The roster is talented and deep in some positions (interior defensive players, wide receivers) and thin and less talented in others (QB, DE, LB). The roster is good in some spots and not so good in others. Does that make it talented or not talented, and how the hell do you decide?

According to some Nostradomi on this board roster depth and quality is the fault solely and exclusively of the current staff. I would include the intellectual giant who, in another thread, predicted the current staff will be gone next year.

Pretty simple: with similarly talented rosters, a fired coach won north of .700 of his games here.

Only when a coach comes in and lays an egg against a very easy schedule do we hear that the talent isn't there to continue 9+ win seasons. Of course, that's not what was said at the time of the firing last year. And it's not the case today, either.

The roster isn't perfect, but it's far better than the results that were wrung out of it.

Talent level under Frank was dropping, anyone who is honest can see that. Same with the last staff. MK III Eyeball Detector.

Frank had the #14 class in the country when he was fired, and he likely would've signed Woodhead.

"Danny Woodhead doesn’t dwell on not being recruited by Nebraska and why should he?"

HAHAHA! An article about Danny Woodhead not getting a scholarship from Callahan doesn't expose anything I said.

Solich had already recruited Woodhead to walkon, and if a bunch of blue chips didn't fall into place by signing day, he would have gotten a full ride.

Solich and Nebraska had only contacted Woodhead once. They didn't even recruit him to walk-on.

Bullsqueeze.

Solich had already asked Woodhead to walkon at the Huskers summer camp before his senior year. And then Solich was fired in November when Woodhead's senior season was barely over.

The misinformation spewed here by some is outrageous.

I'm not saying he was offered or even that he definitely would have been offered. What I'm saying is, if it had gotten near signing day and a spot or two was still open (which was usually the case with Solich) Woodhead would have been a likely recipient. But Callahan completely ignored him. So he accepted the Chadron State offer.

Bullsqueeze.

Solich had already asked Woodhead to walkon at the Huskers summer camp before his senior year. And then Solich was fired in November when Woodhead's senior season was barely over.

I'm not saying he was offered or even that he definitely would have been offered. What I'm saying is, if it had gotten near signing day and a spot or two was still open (which was usually the case with Solich) Woodhead would have been a likely recipient. But Callahan completely ignored him. So he accepted the Chadron State offer.

However disappointed that Nebraska contacted him once and never called back, Woodhead chose Division II Chadron State not so much as a consolation prize but as an opportunity to reunite with his older brother, Ben, a wide receiver.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/02/sports/football/danny-woodhead-is-a-big-talent-in-a-small-package.html?_r=0

Bullsqueeze.

However disappointed that Nebraska contacted him once and never called back, Woodhead chose Division II Chadron State not so much as a consolation prize but as an opportunity to reunite with his older brother, Ben, a wide receiver.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/02/sports/football/danny-woodhead-is-a-big-talent-in-a-small-package.html?_r=0

Your article is from 2012. Funny how memories and stories change after 9 years. Let's look at something closer to the actual timeline:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/sports/ncaafootball/26back.html

Woodhead was named state player of the year as a senior at North Platte High School, when he led Class A with 2,037 yards and scored 31 touchdowns. That year, he was also the state’s top scorer in basketball, at 26 points a game, and led the soccer team in scoring in the spring. Before his senior year, Woodhead attended Nebraska’s summer football camp. He said he had several conversations with Nebraska’s coach at the time, Frank Solich, who encouraged him to walk on as a kick returner. “It was tough to swallow,” he said.

So yes, Solich was in touch, they had several conversations, he attended camp, he was asked to walkon, ALL before he even started his senior year.

Now stop the misinformation.

EDIT: I think your 2012 article was specifically talking about post-Solich. After Callahan was hired, Woodhead was contacted once about walking on and that was it.

Bullsqueeze.

Your article is from 2012. Funny how memories and stories change after 9 years. Let's look at something closer to the actual timeline:

Woodhead was named state player of the year as a senior at North Platte High School, when he led Class A with 2,037 yards and scored 31 touchdowns. That year, he was also the state’s top scorer in basketball, at 26 points a game, and led the soccer team in scoring in the spring. Before his senior year, Woodhead attended Nebraska’s summer football camp. He said he had several conversations with Nebraska’s coach at the time, Frank Solich, who encouraged him to walk on as a kick returner. “It was tough to swallow,” he said.

So yes, Solich was in touch, they had several conversations, he attended camp, he was asked to walkon, ALL before he even started his senior year.

Yep, the truth usually does come out after time. There are a few more articles that state the Nebraska told him he "might" be able to join the team as a kick returner. I even read an article where Scott Dowling (Frank's RC) had said that they didn't even recruit him because they wanted someone bigger.

Bullsqueeze.

Link?

The blue letters that are underlined and start with http?

Bullsqueeze.

According to some Nostradomi on this board roster depth and quality is the fault solely and exclusively of the current staff. I would include the intellectual giant who, in another thread, predicted the current staff will be gone next year.Pretty simple: with similarly talented rosters, a fired coach won north of .700 of his games here.

EDIT: I think your 2012 article was specifically talking about post-Solich. After Callahan was hired, Woodhead was contacted once about walking on and that was it.

This is correct. Solich wanted him as a walk-on & he may have ended up with a filler scholarship or even a gray-shirt had Solich missed on a few guys later in the signing period & not been fired. When Solich was fired the lines of communication were cut completely. Many people were mad about how the walk-on program was treated under Callahan, the whole time he was here.

• Fire 1

Bullsqueeze.

Yep, the truth usually does come out after time. There are a few more articles that state the Nebraska told him he "might" be able to join the team as a kick returner. I even read an article where Scott Dowling (Frank's RC) had said that they didn't even recruit him because they wanted someone bigger.

More bullsqueeze. Stop it already! They had him at summer camp, they asked him to walkon, all before he even started his senior year. By the time signing day rolled around and they saw he would accept a D2 scholarship before walking on, they likely would have offered if they had an open spot.

And it's "Downing", not "Dowling".

Bullsqueeze.

According to some Nostradomi on this board roster depth and quality is the fault solely and exclusively of the current staff. I would include the intellectual giant who, in another thread, predicted the current staff will be gone next year.Pretty simple: with similarly talented rosters, a fired coach won north of .700 of his games here.

This is correct. Solich wanted him as a walk-on & he may have ended up with a filler scholarship or even a gray-shirt had Solich missed on a few guys later in the signing period & not been fired. When Solich was fired the lines of communication were cut completely. Many people were mad about how the walk-on program was treated under Callahan, the whole time he was here.

Exactly. But somehow the truth doesn't fit certain agendas.

Bullsqueeze.

You are correct. I read an article that interviewed Scott Dowling when he was HC of Northern Colorado and he did mention that they offered him as a walk-on. He did say that it did change when Callahan got hired. My apologies...

Bullsqueeze.

You are correct. I read an article that interviewed Scott Dowling when he was HC of Northern Colorado and he did mention that they offered him as a walk-on. He did say that it did change when Callahan got hired. My apologies...

Thanks, Stumpy1. Much respect. :thumbs

But be ready to suffer the wrath of RADAR!

• Fire 1

We have had the talent to win a conference, for quite a while.

False

The recruiting data says there's quite a few teams have won a conference championship with lesser talent.

Probably false but you provided no evidence.

Quite a few huh? That sounds very convincing.

Won a conference huh? Who cares. The topic is NU's talent NOW (not 2009 or whatever) and the conference is the BIG with Urban's team.

We're not going to consistently beat OSU with the talent level currently on the team.

Right. It appears some posters don't understand that.

Is that a realistic goal? Before 1992, Osborne was 8-13 against Oklahoma. Even worse if you look at his first 10 years (4-8).

Oklahoma was very similar to OSU in that being a couple of hours outside of Dallas and other talent rich areas, they had an inherent recruiting advantage and were, arguably, consistently more talented as a result.

I'm not sure we are going to ever consistently beat OSU with a level of talent that can be legally obtained at Nebraska. The goal should be to win at least 1/3 of those games, with an opportunity to go on a "rush" of wins if the talent stars align (like they did in the 90s when a bumper crop of home grown Nebraska talent flowed through the University).

And I really don't even consider thinking about what it takes to beat OSU and the other top 3 or 4 teams in the conference when we have a staff that took this current roster and lost to some of the worst teams in the B10.

We couldn't consistently compare to Oklahoma in recruiting because Switzer was cheating. I personally know a guy that was a starting nickle back for the Sooners in the mid 70's. Barry was cheating from day one.

I agree with the bolded part and until that is fixed, we will not and cannot beat OSU consistently. Someone show me where OSU is thin and less talented. They aren't, even at QB they have incredible depth and talent. Until we have quality depth across the board we will continue to struggle to beat the best teams in our conference.

And we don't have to consistently beat tOSU anyway. We wouldn't have had to beat them to win a championship this year. We wouldn't have to consistently beat them to win any conference titles. We only have to beat them in one game.

In order to compete for championships we have to be able to consistently beat the best teams in our conference. Right now, that is OSU. They have the most talent and the best HC.