Epley's comments on Talent

Warrior10

We have 3 NFL caliber athletes, 7 above average, a significant number average, and around 20 walk on caliber.

I cant link via mobile. I read the Journal Star article, OWH has one too.

Epley says Phillips is doing best he can but we need 1.5 years to get the talent we need.

OWH: http://www.omaha.com/huskers/boyd-epley-s-bringing-back-the-peformance-index-and-weighing/article_1a7c4940-a387-11e5-9643-0bc10d4a2c5d.html

Edited by zoogs
link added

We have 3 NFL caliber athletes, around 15 Division I athletes, and around 20 walk on caliber.

I cant link via mobile. I read the Journal Star article, OWH has one too.

Epley says Phillips is doing best he can but we need 1.5 years to get the talent we need.

I have said this all year long, nice to have someone respected in the state to back up that opinion.

"I can tell you right now, after testing football four times up here, that our talent level is not where it used to be," Epley said. When asked the time period to which he was referring, Epley brought up the the 1990s. "We do have some outstanding individuals at some positions — for example running back and wide receiver would be outstanding — but we also have some weak areas. It's not that they don't have great work ethic — they've demonstrated that — but in football we need to do a better job of bringing in talented recruits so we don't have to do quite so much development or quite so much coaching."

Epley later reiterated that running back and wide receiver, as position groups, did the best in the Performance Index.
The unit that needed work: The offensive line.
"I think it's fair to say — and all the fans can see — that our offensive line could stand some improvement and a little higher talent level," Epley said. "That's not picking on any one individual, that's just across the board. When you start with a good offensive line, everything else can fall in place."

OWH

• Fire 1

If we could stop the world and let Mark (new strength coach) go develop these guys for a year and a half, I think we would be right back where we need to be," Epley said. "Thats about how far off we are, a year and a half of development.

From link.

Makes it sound much more like Jimmy and Joe's then coaching.

• Fire 1

Good stuff from Boyd. We need major upgrades at a number of positions regardless of who is coaching the team.

Also appreciate the fact that somebody is recognizing a weakness and has plans to address it. Some good recruiting + development and this program could get back on track.

I think it's says a lot someone inside the program finally addressed it. Fans/past players/media have for awhile. However, that could also be due to Epley being one of the few (only?) people inside the program that has the respect of the state/knowledge to say it.

I like that Boyd is putting this testing in place across the board. It's awesome that he is making it public too, it' another competitive goal for these athletes to beat each other at. It's not sexist to any gender and is probably fun for them to run the tests. Sharpen iron with iron.

Competition breeds excellence. Across the board start installing a winning attitude. Little things like Epleys testing competition could do that.