Next Assistant Coach Hypothetical Question

ScottyIce

Hey guys,

Just thought this would be something interesting to discuss this offseason. Since it feels like we are always churning out an assistant coach or someone is taking them, I should say...

1. Who is the next assistant coach to leave for "greener pastures" in your opinion?

2. Who is the next former husker player or coach to join the staff?

Honestly, I don't see any former Husker players or assistant coaches coming back to NU under the Riley administration.

:snacks:

My point is that I don't see Riley going out of his way to hire former Huskers as assistant coaches. He is going to hire guys that he is familiar with and friends of friends.

Okay, that makes sense (no sarcasm).

I have really only been impressed with Williams and Bray personally. I would think that would be the only 2 on anyones radar. Langs would do much better with a teams whose identity was based on a 40+ pass per game.......... He might get some success and some looks depending on what O scheme we run next year and how well we look in 2017 IMO.

Huskers? Not on this staff. I wouldn't mind seeing Minter or Rathman come back in some capacity. Would love to see Brown and Sanders return.

I could see Bray getting a DC job in a few years if he continues to show as well as he has been, Williams just seems like a "wideout" coach to me, and a damn good one at that.....

Coach Thompson has also been impressive. Seems to have worked wonders for Cethan this year. Read has been among the most disappointing in my opinion. If you're going to use one of your full-time staff positions on a Special Teams Coordinator, then your ST's better be pretty damn good.

Forgot about him. Carter is having a great year. Blocking, catching and as a runner. I would like to see the TE position develop so that we have several who can play at a higher level as opposed to a "catching" TE, a blocking TE etc.... So if we go to a heavy or jumbo set we actually have 2 threat...

Agree w/ you there on the TEs. Gotta get some more depth. TE got clobbered by injuries it seems like this year. A well rounded TE is just a nightmare to defend as I feel like not too many college teams utilize the TE and even fewer have good ones that can stretch a defense. I think NU has one in Carter, dude is a hoss.

Isn't 'Coach Thomson' a graduate asst? I think there will have to be a decision made there relatively soon.

I think Bray is DC in waiting but he may get an offer before Banker wants to retire. Tough position for Riley.

Williams could get more offers from SEC $ or NFL.

Langs- hmm. I could see him getting an HC offer somewhere, or I could see him continuing to chuck the ball 35+ times a game and deciding he likes the NFL better. Probably not for 1-2 more years though.

I could see Davis going back to NFL but I have no real reason to say that.

All coaches bring in people from their tree or people they are familiar with unless those people are not available. It is a weird fantasy we run on this board. For someone like Riley it is a pretty big tree.

Weren't Stewart and Hughes the last 2 in? I also think they are the ones that we as fans seem to criticize the most. And I don't think they had a previous relationship with Riley (despite the agenda of some on this board), so they might be the first to go?

As for Huskers returning. I've never thought that should even be considered when hiring a coach. It is fan pandering and some of us fall for it too easy. "They bleed red!!" No, they bleed paycheck. They are pro's. Rathman seems to have the credentials. Zac Taylor is building a resume for himself. I don't really know who else is out there.