(OWH) Mark Banker on placing the final pieces of the roster puzzle

zoogs

Recruiting: Mark Banker on placing the final pieces of the roster puzzle

A good article from Sam McKewon laying out the state of the defense at every group, and some of the challenges that lay ahead. Yes, it covers recruiting, but it's also about what needs to happen with what's on hand.

One thing they talk about is the shortage of pass rushers, but the challenge of working within the roster budget. It's an outcome of having a lot in the way of young scholarship numbers. Here's Banker on Sedrick King:

"He has to be. We've got to be able to count on a guy like that," Banker said. "We've got to develop him. That's on us. There's talent in that body. No doubt about that. He needs to do better with knowing his responsibility and he needs to have a great offseason in the weight room. But that dude's an athlete and he has some get-up-and-go. The mental aspect of the game that's where we need to bring him along. Dependability.

And Sam:

My take: Nebraska's in a tough spot. Eight of the scholarship defensive linemen were freshmen this year, four of those guys redshirted, and NU simply has to get a lot out of them.

He doesn't mention numbers for the DBs, but he's stated Husker coaches like to devote 15 scholarships to the DL and 12 to LBs. Someone should pull up numbers on what we had last season and what we have now heading into the next one, I'd like to see that. How close are we to targets?

• Fire 1

15 is a good number for scholarship d-lineman. The problem is that Nebraska has too much dead weight in scholarship guys that aren't contributing. In a perfect world you should have 3-4 at each class level and idealy the freshman should RS unless they are absolute studs. BP missed on too many of these guys especially DE. You can't have 3-4 Jr or Sr d-linemen that aren't contributing.

• Fire 1

15 is a good number for scholarship d-lineman. The problem is that Nebraska has too much dead weight in scholarship guys that aren't contributing. In a perfect world you should have 3-4 at each class level and idealy the freshman should RS unless they are absolute studs. BP missed on too many of these guys especially DE. You can't have 3-4 Jr or Sr d-linemen that aren't contributing.

How many upperclassmen were at DE this year? Across the whole DL? Of those, who were non contributors?

I think you're estimate that 3-4 "noncontributors" across 2 classes is too many, especially counting JUCO guys, is too low to be realistic.

How many upperclassmen were at DE this year? Across the whole DL? Of those, who were non contributors?

I think you're estimate that 3-4 "noncontributors" across 2 classes is too many, especially counting JUCO guys, is too low to be realistic.

I took this data from the UNL website....

Jr/Sr DEs:

Dzuris

Gangwish

Keels

McMullen

Jr/Sr DTs:

Collins

VV

Maurice

Kevin Williams

Logan Rath

Givens Price***Yes, he's a Sr but he also switched positions his last year so I'm not sure it's fair to include him

You also have Garrett Johns who is a Jr but listed as a DL.

I think you can say the only guys who would be considered non-contributors are Keels and Rath.

The thing that really stood out to me was the lack of Sophomores on the DL depth chart.

AJ Natter

Erik Evans

Joel Lopez

Seriously, that's it. 3 Sophs listed.

He doesn't mention numbers for the DBs, but he's stated Husker coaches like to devote 15 scholarships to the DL and 12 to LBs. Someone should pull up numbers on what we had last season and what we have now heading into the next one, I'd like to see that. How close are we to targets?

2015:

DL - 18

LB - 7

DB - 14

2016:

DL - 14

LB - 9

DB - 13

Including current commits - numbers will likely increase by Signing Day.