McMullen to Work at DT This Spring

Mavric

I can see why this is being looked at but I don't think it's the way to go. McMullen came around as the year went on. With eight months to work out, he should be able to slim down a little.

Plus, with Williams, Maurice, Stoltenberg, Newell and the Davis twins, it's not like we're exactly hurting for depth at DT. Unless one of the Davis twins is going to play DE, we have Freedom and ......

I'm actually glad to see this. Always thought McMullen was more natural at DT than end. He doesn't have the footspeed to be great at DE. But I think he has the size and strength to be a force inside. Guess we'll find out now. :thumbs:

• Fire 2

I'm actually glad to see this. Always thought McMullen was more natural at DT than end. He doesn't have the footspeed to be great at DE. But I think he has the size and strength to be a force inside. Guess we'll find out now. :thumbs:

Agree wt this. I too thought he looked the part of at DT vs DE. Haven't been impressed wt his DE results. I think he does better inside. Who knows, he may excel there having had the DE experience - he may use it to get by those guards/centers.

They probably view it as easier for him to bulk a bit now...until Spring...then decide if he will stat inside or move back out...so from Mid April until August it would not be hard to drop weight...but it would be harder (for most people) to pack on good weight.

With McMullen weighing in north of 300 at fall camp, I'm guessing it wouldn't be all that easy for him to cut the weight.

I like this move as I agree with what Nuance said. I wonder if this will allow for one of the twins to get reps at DE.

The Davis twins are also only redshirt freshmen. They could both be the next Suh and still only make minimal impact as Rfr -- not enough to beat out a capable senior starter, for example. The DL balance is skewed inside, but so is the fit of the players. What can you do?

In one short year we'll be needing all the youth at DT to step up. The less heraded DE players are in that spot now. Not the brightest of outlooks for 16, but it was long in the making.