NCAA approves 3 year moratorium on new bowls

Redux

Why not?

Then what the hell is the point? Just add a 13th game to the regular season if more college football is the goal. If everyone goes bowling, really nobody does.

The bolded made me roll my eyes. The "point" has already been explained.

For one thing, there are definitely different tiers of bowls. The upper tiers are almost completely unimpacted by how many games you have in the lower tiers.

For another, you can't really schedule that 13th game in an effective way before the season. It makes sense to have it scheduled after the season as a bowl.

I'm really having a hard time understanding why people don't want teams unrelated to them to get a bowl. How does that really hurt anyone? Perhaps we should eliminate the three point line from basketball too. It's destroying the "purity" of basketball.

The one bowl fix that I'd like to see is a consolidation of bowls over fewer days. I miss having the bulk of big bowls all fall on NY day. But, people were dying for their playoffs, and I understand the marketing strategy around spacing them out. Still, I always loved how you could devote an entire day to some great games.

• Fire 3

Hey, it's no hair off my ass. I don't see the harm in too many bowl games. If an individual team isn't going to make enough money at it, and that is their determining factor, then I guess they can turn down the opportunity if they see fit. Sure many of the games are dogs but why should I care? I watch the top games, the 9ne Nebraska is in and many others if they have teams of interest to me. I don't give a rats ass about the rest of them. If they want to match up two teams flirting with .500 records, I really don't care. It's all about the money anyways. Schools have to be smart enough to not commit if the $$'s are going to be a problem for them.

• Fire 2

You make me roll my eyes too, I explained my point and as usual you ignore any stance other than your own.

There is no tier system when looking at the bowls. There are bowls and the playoff, a casual viewer doesn't know the difference between the Peach Bowl and the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

Here is how you schedule a 13th game: Conference tie in agreements where you rank teams via conference standings. The 6th team in the Big Ten can play the 6th team in the ACC etc. Is it perfect? No, but it makes more sense than a university losing a million bucks going to the Poinsettia Bowl.

I'm pefectly happy for players in the lower tier programs getting bowls, has nothing to do with them. Doesn't effect me at all. Again, it just dillutes the whole bowl ideal.

Now, are you actually implying the playoff was a mistake?

Actually thought of that movie as an example, watched it the other day. Geeat film.

But it provides a truth. Bowls were once special, they aren't nearly as special anymore.

I actually agree with this sentiment. The "traditional" bowl game has gone the way of white picket fences, phone booths, and blue USPS mailboxes.

The playoffs are good idea, but it comes with a price. We can't go back to bowl games meaning what they used to, so might as well accept it for what it is. It's all about the money now. Might as well grab a piece of the pie if you can. If somebody will pony up the money for a bowl game, let the teams go regardless of their record.

If we are gravitating toward everyone getting a bowl, the playoff needs to expand to at least 8 or 16. Then every 5-7 or worse team can have their glorious Tampax Bowl participation trophy and the top teams can actually be rewarded.

Yep. A bowl game is where you pull the first string so everyone can get in.

You are thinking of a blowout. In that case it should be the Depends Bowl.

• Fire 1

You make me roll my eyes too, I explained my point and as usual you ignore any stance other than your own.

There is no tier system when looking at the bowls. There are bowls and the playoff, a casual viewer doesn't know the difference between the Peach Bowl and the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl.

Here is how you schedule a 13th game: Conference tie in agreements where you rank teams via conference standings. The 6th team in the Big Ten can play the 6th team in the ACC etc. Is it perfect? No, but it makes more sense than a university losing a million bucks going to the Poinsettia Bowl.

I'm pefectly happy for players in the lower tier programs getting bowls, has nothing to do with them. Doesn't effect me at all. Again, it just dillutes the whole bowl ideal.

Now, are you actually implying the playoff was a mistake?

Again, I don't think that the net effect of bowls is lost money because they are getting a pay out from the overall point.

Anyway, I'm not ignoring your point. Just disagreeing with and pointing out flaws in it.

I think the playoff doesn't add much in the scheme of things, and certainly not much for players who now need to play 14/15 games a season.

When you have two undefeated P5 teams lose to a 2 loss team that got into the playoff, there will be plenty of controversy. It's why I don't think single game elimination playoffs are a great way to pick a champion. But I get it that it's what the fans (and ESPN) want, interests of student athletes be damned.

• Fire 2

Actually thought of that movie as an example, watched it the other day. Geeat film.

But it provides a truth. Bowls were once special, they aren't nearly as special anymore.

They are still quite special to the players who get into one.

But I get it... The reflected glory shines a little less brightly and that's painful for some.

• Fire 1