The Two Best Shows on TV

No, just googling

Ok, well, I really was hoping some one else is into Saul and The Americans and this thread wouldn't be polluted with zombies, I'll keep mu fingers crossed.....
I love Saul.

BB was better tho. I love me some roof pizza.

Never saw BB, can you give me a brief synopsis? didn't he go around killing peeps and dissolving their bodies or something--for pay?
Lol. Yeah that was pretty gross, and in the first season, too. The rest of the series isn't that gory/disgusting. There's more killings, but it's the situations that are tense and gripping, not so much gratuitous graphic images like that.

There have been very few shows that would cause my heart to race and literally yell at the TV cheering for or against someone like this one did.

Hmm, maybe I can go catch the series online at some point. Did the series end, and why?

Yes, because they actually had a story to tell and wrapped it up. It's a near universal opinion that each season is better than the last.
What I thought was neat, was that some of the main characters you'd be rooting either for or against them, but in the next season you may reverse that, then in the following season, you'd revert back, etc. Etc... your opinion of who is "bad" and who is "good" is very fluid.

Indeed, Breaking Bad is probably best show since MASH or somethng really. Not many ever better in my not so humble opinion. Deadwood was a good series too. Also, the series (I forget the name, darn it - lol) about the serial killer serial killer that works in the medical examiner's office in Florida. Pretty good; creepy sometimes too. I am an X Files fanatic and own all of those.

I'll have to go back and check it out. But bein's I'm 50+ "old guy", I'm pretty much burned out on dark serial killer stuff, war movies, pirates, Sparta/Roman warrior stuff, cowboys, blow em up, shoot em up action flicks, in short, about everything that they keep putting out there. Def not into the zombie thing. I guess there was a vampire decade I ttly missed, thankfully. A good spy thriller still piques my interest, though those are getting pretty well worn too.

Alot of dark stuff out there these days. I like a well done drama, even wholesome ones with a good story, and I find Saul and the Americans are particularly fresh, compelling. and extremely well done in every sense. I'm burned out on most of the comedy they put out as it is so vulgar these days. Tosh.0 is thoroughly disgusting, IMO, and most standup comics these days are basically obsene and too weird. David Spade is maybe my fav standup guy as he has a unique style and tells funny fresh off the wall stories. There are no good standup guys to compare with the likes of Dangerfield, Carlin, Riggles, Pryor of old. John Oliver is the best late nite guy as Cobert has kind of faded since he went to CBS. I also hate most rock and roll from the 90s onward and rap ttly sucks. 70s and 80s were the best periods for rock and roll, pop music, IMO--nod to the 70s.

In other words, I've gotten very selective w entertainment in my advanced age. ;)

No, just googling

Ok, well, I really was hoping some one else is into Saul and The Americans and this thread wouldn't be polluted with zombies, I'll keep mu fingers crossed.....
I love Saul.

Never saw BB, can you give me a brief synopsis? didn't he go around killing peeps and dissolving their bodies or something--for pay?
Oh, and to summarize, he's a high school science teacher who just found out he has terminal cancer, and his wife is pregnant with their second child. So he resorts to cooking meth to make some quick money that will help support his family after he's dead. He soon finds out a life of crime is not as easy as he thought.

So, a happy happy story, eh? lol

No, just googling

I love Saul.

Lol. Yeah that was pretty gross, and in the first season, too. The rest of the series isn't that gory/disgusting. There's more killings, but it's the situations that are tense and gripping, not so much gratuitous graphic images like that.

There have been very few shows that would cause my heart to race and literally yell at the TV cheering for or against someone like this one did.

Hmm, maybe I can go catch the series online at some point. Did the series end, and why?
Yes, because they actually had a story to tell and wrapped it up. It's a near universal opinion that each season is better than the last.
What I thought was neat, was that some of the main characters you'd be rooting either for or against them, but in the next season you may reverse that, then in the following season, you'd revert back, etc. Etc... your opinion of who is "bad" and who is "good" is very fluid.

Yeah, I'm kind of experiencing that with Saul(Jimmy) of late as he is doing some increasingly a-hole things and never seems to learn his lesson.

I'll have to go back and check it out. But bein's I'm 50+ "old guy", I'm pretty much burned out on dark serial killer stuff, war movies, pirates, Sparta/Roman warrior stuff, cowboys, blow em up, shoot em up action flicks, in short, about everything that they keep putting out there. Def not into the zombie thing. I guess there was a vampire decade I ttly missed, thankfully. A good spy thriller still piques my interest, though those are getting pretty well worn too.

Alot of dark stuff out there these days. I like a well done drama, even wholesome ones with a good story, and I find Saul and the Americans are particularly fresh, compelling. and extremely well done in every sense. I'm burned out on most of the comedy they put out as it is so vulgar these days. Tosh.0 is thoroughly disgusting, IMO, and most standup comics these days are basically obsene and too weird. David Spade is maybe my fav standup guy as he has a unique style and tells funny fresh off the wall stories. There are no good standup guys to compare with the likes of Dangerfield, Carlin, Riggles, Pryor of old. John Oliver is the best late nite guy as Cobert has kind of faded since he went to CBS. I also hate most rock and roll from the 90s onward and rap ttly sucks. 70s and 80s were the best periods for rock and roll, pop music, IMO--nod to the 70s.

In other words, I've gotten very selective w entertainment in my advanced age. ;)

You're probably only a handful of years older than me, and I feel like calling you "gramps"

You missed the 'Twilight' saga?! OMG! Were you out refilling your oxygen tanks?

;)

No, just googling

I love Saul.

Yeah, I'm kind of experiencing that with Saul(Jimmy) of late as he is doing some increasingly a-hole things and never seems to learn his lesson.

If you'd seen what his character developed into in BB, it would be expected. Plus most of the flashback scenes in 'Saul' show hes a con artist. But he still has a good heart. Most of the time.

You're probably only a handful of years older than me, and I feel like calling you "gramps"

You missed the 'Twilight' saga?! OMG! Were you out refilling your oxygen tanks?

;)

I take exception to such age-ist remarks, I'll have you know!

Seriously, I've missed most mainstream television for the better part of 3 decades. Haven't watched any of the so called reality shows, am familiar with many of the sitcom names but haven't watched any of them--can't understand why anyone would. I think mainstream television has really gone down the tubes. Fox so called news is intolerable and CNN is on the level of looping political gossip most of the time.

Saul and the Americans caught me delightfully by surprise.

No, just googling

I love Saul.

If you'd seen what his character developed into in BB, it would be expected. Plus most of the flashback scenes in 'Saul' show hes a con artist. But he still has a good heart. Most of the time.

Hmm, well I def have to check out the BB to tie the whole thing together. Haven't got to the Saul phase of the story---don't spill the beans! We're at a point in the story where Jimmy's heart intentions are in question. It appears that he is a con-man-aholic who will stick it to anybody--like his own bro-- if expedient to his selfish desires and his gf Kim is getting more corrupted by him.

You missed the 'Twilight' saga?! OMG! Were you out refilling your oxygen tanks? ;)

Seriously, I've missed most mainstream television for the better part of 3 decades. Haven't watched any of the so called reality shows, am familiar with many of the sitcom names but haven't watched any of them--can't understand why anyone would. I think mainstream television has really gone down the tubes. Fox so called news is intolerable and CNN is on the level of looping political gossip most of the time.

Admit it...you watch 'The Americans' because seeing John-Boy makes you feel nostalgic.

I just recently watched the entire series of Breaking Bad. I have to say, that is quite possibly the best writing and producing of a TV series I have ever watched. Very little of it was very predictable and it really never took that direction that was so outrageous that you wondered why you were watching.

It seemed like every episode left me wanting to watch the next to see what the hell is going to happen.

I haven't started on Saul.

I spent some time watching Making a Murderer. That show is a very good show but for a whole other glob of reasons.

You missed the 'Twilight' saga?! OMG! Were you out refilling your oxygen tanks? ;)

Admit it...you watch 'The Americans' because seeing John-Boy makes you feel nostalgic.

He does a helluva job in that role. Good to see him still working. I'm really pissed the Soviet pricks killed Nina, though, I miss my Nina

the-americans-12.jpg

I just recently watched the entire series of Breaking Bad. I have to say, that is quite possibly the best writing and producing of a TV series I have ever watched. Very little of it was very predictable and it really never took that direction that was so outrageous that you wondered why you were watching.

It seemed like every episode left me wanting to watch the next to see what the hell is going to happen.

I haven't started on Saul.

I spent some time watching Making a Murderer. That show is a very good show but for a whole other glob of reasons.

Saul and the Americans have the same enticing quality. Tough to wait a whole week to see what happens next.

No, just googling

I love Saul.

Oh, and to summarize, he's a high school science teacher who just found out he has terminal cancer, and his wife is pregnant with their second child. So he resorts to cooking meth to make some quick money that will help support his family after he's dead. He soon finds out a life of crime is not as easy as he thought.

I quit watching in the second season when there was less chemistry teacher stuff. Also all my students think I make meth in the chemical store room.

2043ff730866afeefa392ffc17ac99922330d302

(And I kinda look like this guy)

Breaking Bad is easily the best drama series ever. And I don't make that claim lightly. Better Call Saul is good but I'm not sure how I would feel about it without BB. I am always anticipating the next character from BB that will show up on Saul.

Have not seen the Americans or Black Sails. Black Sails is definitely on my list though, have heard nothing but good things.

Game of Thrones is probably the next best to BB on my list. Pretty big gap between those two shows and anything else out there, IMO.