Huskers Focusing on Screen Plays This Spring

It's a bad play call for all the reasons I've sited and all the excuses you and others keep siting as to why it didn't work. Not to mention the end result: pick 6 for them. If ya hadn't noticed, the wind was howling in that game and TA was throwing potential picks about every time he air mailed a pass that day. But you go on defending the screen pick 6, go right ahead....

No it wasn't. It did start getting little windy after the sun set, but even then, it was a 10 yard throw, not a 40 yard bomb.

Source: I was there, a few rows back from the field.

Oh, ok, well, I guess it doesn't take much wind to TA to throw 4 INTs in a game--and he was close to throwing a few more.

It wasn't a bad pass though! Look at the play develop. If Lewis cuts the end we had a touchdown possibly. We had 2 receivers on 1 corner and one would've chipped to the backer flowing and we had Jano against a corner. I like our chances

IF IF IF IF.......

Result, pick 6 for them.

You should apply for a coaching job. You can run all of the iso's, full back dives, and draws you want because you want to "play it safe". Thats not how you win at this level. You woulda called Saban's pass call late in the national championship illadvised. You cant be conservative all the time or you give up 2 game winning field goal opportunities like Wisconsin.

And you know what, when you are coach, you can call all the little rehearsed screens and swings and fades from your own 5 yd line with a crap QB and questionable OL that you want, so I'm glad that's settled.

It's a bad play call for all the reasons I've sited and all the excuses you and others keep siting as to why it didn't work. Not to mention the end result: pick 6 for them. If ya hadn't noticed, the wind was howling in that game and TA was throwing potential picks about every time he air mailed a pass that day. But you go on defending the screen pick 6, go right ahead....

No it wasn't. It did start getting little windy after the sun set, but even then, it was a 10 yard throw, not a 40 yard bomb.

Oh, ok, well, I guess it doesn't take much wind to TA to throw 4 INTs in a game--and he was close to throwing a few more.

It wasn't a bad pass though! Look at the play develop. If Lewis cuts the end we had a touchdown possibly. We had 2 receivers on 1 corner and one would've chipped to the backer flowing and we had Jano against a corner. I like our chances

IF IF IF IF.......

Result, pick 6 for them.

You should apply for a coaching job. You can run all of the iso's, full back dives, and draws you want because you want to "play it safe". Thats not how you win at this level. You woulda called Saban's pass call late in the national championship illadvised. You cant be conservative all the time or you give up 2 game winning field goal opportunities like Wisconsin.

And you know what, when you are coach, you can call all the screens and swings and fades from your own 5 yd line with a crap QB and questionable OL that you want, so I'm glad that's settled.

Correction: I am a coach

IF IF IF IF.......

Result, pick 6 for them.

And you know what, when you are coach, you can call all the screens and swings and fades from your own 5 yd line with a crap QB and questionable OL that you want, so I'm glad that's settled.

Correction: I am a coach

Oh, good for you, call them screens!

Not every interception is on the Quarterback.

Most are, since, you know, he's the guy throwing it. If the play isn't there, the route isn't run properly, don't throw it, therein lies TA's main problem: he forces it too much. It's ok, when POB or Gebbia take the reins, things will be much better in the passing game.

There it is.

I think you and some others are going to be in for a seriously rude awakening.

• Fire 2

Wind was blowing 20 mph at game time, per the report on TV broadcast. That's pretty breezy.

It does make me wonder why you call 45+ passes for a QB that all the couch fans seem to just know is a bad decision maker.

I think it was colder than a mofo that day too. But doesn't matter much, TA can throw 4 INTs in any kind of weather.

I don't really want to deal in "risky this" or "risky that" judgments but there are % involved in each playcall. I thought the swing pass was a fairly high % play, even in that position, so I don't disagree with the call. It was just a blown block that allowed it to blow up like it did. Stuff happens.

My issue is that by its nature, this system (and the way it's been called so far) is that it's hard to discern what they are even trying to do, so we never see the jab, jab, jab, knockout chunk play that is the hallmark of good offenses. Watching the offense, even now as I rewatch Iowa, it feels like a "grab a play out of the bag" system. That really hinders a team's ability to find a rhythm, let alone take advantage of an off balance defense.

Add that to the comments recently that the players don't really know what the offensive identity is, and I'm concerned about next season, regardless of how the QB situation shakes out.

• Fire 2

The screen pass is a good play if you have the offensive line who can make their blocks while on the move not to mention a running back who can both catch but who can also make a play if the blocking breaks down or doesn't come fully together. We didn't have that last year in Newby and Ozigbo.

The more I start thinking about things like screen plays and our offense the more nervous I get though. I just hope these coaches can start calling the right plays at the right time and with the right personnel.

Wind was blowing 20 mph at game time, per the report on TV broadcast. That's pretty breezy.

It does make me wonder why you call 45+ passes for a QB that all the couch fans seem to just know is a bad decision maker.

I think it was colder than a mofo that day too. But doesn't matter much, TA can throw 4 INTs in any kind of weather.

Actually, how many 4 int. games has Tommy had? I can point to a lot of guys who have thrown 4 picks in a game under Riley.

• Fire 1

Actually, how many 4 int. games has Tommy had? I can point to a lot of guys who have thrown 4 picks in a game under Riley.

Oh geez, He threw 16 INTs in '15, he had 3 vs The U, he had 2 costly ones in the redzone v Sparty, v USC in the bowl, he had 1 but nearly 3-4 near misses. I guess 4 is the exception, but it's no mystery that TA is INT prone. Didn't NE have 21 INTs last year? Fyfe threw 4 of those I think, in one game. And we've been one of the leading TO teams the last few years.

2 blitzers on NU's left.

Tommy decides to run the play as called with no adjustment and throws to primary target.

LG tries a roll and trip to get 2 guys but can't get the trip so that blitzer is free up the gut.

LT flops and does nothing good and his man makes the play. F'ing f... sh... err.

Tommy throws too flat. Should have floated it longer. Probable NU td had a nice throw been made.

TE opposite side was open immediately. Not sure why Tommy didn't simply hit him as a hot read easy play.

Time 59:28 for good endzone reply. (Setting to .25 speed helps. Spacebar and left arrow also helpful.)

• Fire 1

2 blitzers on NU's left.

Tommy decides to run the play as called with no adjustment and throws to primary target.

LG tries a roll and trip to get 2 guys but can't get the trip so that blitzer is free up the gut.

LT flops and does nothing good and his man makes the play. F'ing f... sh... err.

Tommy throws too flat. Should have floated it longer. Probable NU td had a nice throw been made.

TE opposite side was open immediately. Not sure why Tommy didn't simply hit him as a hot read easy play.

Time 59:28 for good endzone reply. (Setting to .25 speed helps. Spacebar and left arrow also helpful.)

Same reason he launched that fade route later in the game on 4th and 1, thus botching another potential scoring drive:

CU26QxsU8AAn2gf.png

I like the idea of screens, too bad that's the weakest part of TAs game. Don't hold your breath for alot of screens next season.

bbaa2140-9566-11e5-949b-1518df00fb43_hes

That's probably a big play if Lewis doesn't wiff.

It's also probably a big play if TA doesn't throw a pick 6.
TA doesn't throw a pick 6 if Lewis does his job.