Tim Tebow for Congress? Ex-Gators QB targeted to run for open seat

I don't know if he would be good or not because I haven't heard him discuss issues.

And, I didn't say he would be good or great or anything. I just know that most of the first reactions on here were negative. I also know that most of the negative feelings towards him when he was playing was based on his Christianity.

I think that most of the negative feelings were NOT due to the fact that he adheres to a particular religion. Rather, it was a combination of two things - first, that he embodied the success of his team and that success was harped on constantly by the media (similar to all successful teams - how often did we hear ESPN sing the praises of USC when it was winning big, or how often do we hear ESPN promote the SEC), and second, the fact that he constantly promoted his religion.

So, the negative feelings are not due to what religion he follows - it's the fact that he promotes it as he does, combined with the media holding him up as a paragon of virtue. The latter may be true - I don't know the guy - but it's the kind of thing that tends to grate on the nerves of many people.

I don't know if he would be good or not because I haven't heard him discuss issues.

And, I didn't say he would be good or great or anything. I just know that most of the first reactions on here were negative. I also know that most of the negative feelings towards him when he was playing was based on his Christianity.

I think that most of the negative feelings were NOT due to the fact that he adheres to a particular religion. Rather, it was a combination of two things - first, that he embodied the success of his team and that success was harped on constantly by the media (similar to all successful teams - how often did we hear ESPN sing the praises of USC when it was winning big, or how often do we hear ESPN promote the SEC), and second, the fact that he constantly promoted his religion.

So, the negative feelings are not due to what religion he follows - it's the fact that he promotes it as he does, combined with the media holding him up as a paragon of virtue. The latter may be true - I don't know the guy - but it's the kind of thing that tends to grate on the nerves of many people.

Believe me, I was one that was so sick and tired of hearing the media act like he was the most amazing football player ever to walk the face of the earth.

I never really understood the back lash from people who hated on him because he would be seen praying or whatever. To me, that's no different than any of the other countless athletes that, after making a big play, point to the sky or in interviews give thanks to God...etc.

Anyway....I fail to see how any of that has any bearing on if he would be a good Representative or not.

It's real simple for me. The reason Tim Tebow is not qualified to be a congressman is the same reason he's not qualified to do surgery on my, or anyone else's, brain. He's not qualified. The guy isn't even that great at sports announcing. He should just open up a sports gear shop or something, you know, that he is familiar with, and live happily ever after. Or how about coaching kids at say, wait for it.....football?

Well, that's where the voters come in. It's ultimately their choice. Other than the federal and state requirements to run, there's really no litmus test other than to satisfy the party for whom you run.

Would I be comfortable voting for someone that has no experience at any level for a congressional seat? No. But that's me - other voters may disagree. To say that over the years we've seen less than stellar candidates from both parties would be an understatement. This is the same thing.

If tebow wants to put in 30+ years of a career and revisit this later, I'll reconsider him.

For now, he lacks the raw intelligence and experience necessary to make him a reasonable candidate. That said, a lot of congress people are unqualified.

I like Tim Tebow the person. I'm not religious but have a lot of respect for those who are, as long as they don't use religion as their sole basis and justification for legislation or use religious tenants to justify discrimination.

As far as I can tell, Tebow seems like a genuinely good person who is not overly judgy.

I just don't think he's qualified to wield legislative powers.

I am willing to listen to anyone who is willing to get involved. I am all for people to run that are not life long politicians. Personally, I think that's a major problem with what we have now.

Is Tebow the answer?? How the hell would I know at this point, I haven't heard him talk about issues.

However, I have always felt he is someone who is very thoughtful in his feelings towards helping others and not someone who is highly motivated by gaining power and money.

Well, that's where the voters come in. It's ultimately their choice. Other than the federal and state requirements to run, there's really no litmus test other than to satisfy the party for whom you run.

Would I be comfortable voting for someone that has no experience at any level for a congressional seat? No. But that's me - other voters may disagree. To say that over the years we've seen less than stellar candidates from both parties would be an understatement. This is the same thing.

The problem with the American voter is he/she is often completely brainwashed by celebrity and fortune and generally maleducated about politics/geo politics, economics, hence any rich and famous person has an excellent chance of becoming a politician--Kim Kardashian, Oprah, Brett Favre, Katey Perry, Will Farrell, Kevin Hart, Beyonce, Hulk Hogan--what the hell, right? What's to know, how hard can it be? I mean, why should they have any experience at all, or have studied political science, or law, or international law, or American or world history or geo politics, right? It's only massive numbers of people's lives that are effected or at stake. Maybe they could have a reality show, call it, hmmmm, say, "Political Idol", and there could be auditions regionally around the country, and there could be judges, and.....

Protecting the voters from themselves isn't an option. And as the saying goes, the voters get the level of representation they deserve.

Yes, it would be nice if all candidates had a background steeped in relevant subjects, but at the same time the idea behind a citizen congress is to bring as much diversity of thought as possible to government in the hopes that consideration of all views will result in the best policy.

Protecting the voters from themselves isn't an option. And as the saying goes, the voters get the level of representation they deserve.

Yes, it would be nice if all candidates had a background steeped in relevant subjects, but at the same time the idea behind a citizen congress is to bring as much diversity of thought as possible to government in the hopes that consideration of all views will result in the best policy.

Bolded, so true.

Well, said "citizens" should be qualified for the job and represent their constituencies--preferably informed constituencies. But if the constituency is the Idiocracy, well, they are doomed.

I am willing to listen to anyone who is willing to get involved. I am all for people to run that are not life long politicians. Personally, I think that's a major problem with what we have now.

Is Tebow the answer?? How the hell would I know at this point, I haven't heard him talk about issues.

However, I have always felt he is someone who is very thoughtful in his feelings towards helping others and not someone who is highly motivated by gaining power and money.

That may be true, but sounds more like the qualifications for running a charity than passing legislation.

However, if he is willing to not use his legislative power to get funds for charitable causes and pet projects, I'd be willing to listen to him.

Bolded, so true.

Well, said "citizens" should be qualified for the job and represent their constituencies--preferably informed constituencies. But if the constituency is the Idiocracy, well, they are doomed.

Do you count yourself among informed constituencies?

That's no a snipe. I want to know what threshold is.