Tim Tebow for Congress? Ex-Gators QB targeted to run for open seat

Protecting the voters from themselves isn't an option. And as the saying goes, the voters get the level of representation they deserve.

Yes, it would be nice if all candidates had a background steeped in relevant subjects, but at the same time the idea behind a citizen congress is to bring as much diversity of thought as possible to government in the hopes that consideration of all views will result in the best policy.

That is good in theory, but would require each of those people being willing to change their diversity to solidarity if convinced of the wisdom of a policy. I don't think that's in most politicians natures.

This really touches on the deeper question of what is the purpose of a representative legislature.

My personal opinion is that a legislatures job is to establish a framework of laws that is the least intrusive possible and fair to all participants, with the minimum level of exceptions for "special circumstances."

The counter and seemingly prevailing view is that a legislators job is to champion a constituency and secure as many funds or breaks as possible for said group, vying with others for the biggest piece of the pie, and, when necessary, passing taxes to grow the pie.

I'm sure tebow would be fine in the latter system, but if we have any hope of achieving the former system, we need more sophisticated and experienced thinkers filling the role.

The real problem in politics today is that we spend too much time on specific policy to plug perceived holes (or, often, to punch holes in the other side) and not enough time on political theory that could shape an overall more efficient society.

I don't see s problem with him running for congress.

Is it because he isn't a career politician? I thought we wanted fewer of those.

Or is it because he's a Christian???

Why do you think he would be a good politician?

Is it because you think he is smart?

Or is it because he is Christian?

I don't see s problem with him running for congress.

Is it because he isn't a career politician? I thought we wanted fewer of those.

Or is it because he's a Christian???

He's never spoken about politics, he doesn't seem bright. They are just trying to capatilze on his name and its pathetic.

Saying because he isn't a career politician opens the door for Steph Curry, Ameer Abdullah, Cam Newton or Bryce Harper running.

I don't know if he would be good or not because I haven't heard him discuss issues.

And, I didn't say he would be good or great or anything. I just know that most of the first reactions on here were negative. I also know that most of the negative feelings towards him when he was playing was based on his Christianity.

Hmmmmm.......

I have negative feelings for him because he got a lot of idolization for playing a position poorly.

Wait....

You think Tebow was a bad college QB?

Wait...I never said that.

Do you think he was a great NFL QB? Many Christians do. I live in the Denver suburbs and it was a ridiculous sight to behold.

I find the world Christian interesting that you used it in this post.

Fascinating. I am really getting to know you.

He won a bunch of games, and they even made it to the playoffs! It was a bit of a Linsanity moment, wasn't it? Minus the continued playing in the league afterwards.

HE won a bunch of games?

That years Denver defense and field goal kicker would like to have a word with you. Trent Dilfer is a Super Bowl winning QB as well but...

And yes, they did make the playoffs at 8-8.

Maybe we should have a test to see if someone is qualified to vote for representation. Hey....how are you supposed to know if a candidate is any good unless you are educated and knowledgable on the subjects?

Right, like can they locate, say, Iraq, on a map. How many states in the USA? Is a nuclear bomb dangerous? What State is the Secretary of State the secretary of? What's the difference between a "lobbyist" and a "madame"? In which country is Mt Rushmore located? What is a "Mur'can".

Protecting the voters from themselves isn't an option. And as the saying goes, the voters get the level of representation they deserve.

Yes, it would be nice if all candidates had a background steeped in relevant subjects, but at the same time the idea behind a citizen congress is to bring as much diversity of thought as possible to government in the hopes that consideration of all views will result in the best policy.

Not a fan of this idea. I don't want a "diversity of thought" if that includes a bunch of idiots who are at war with science. I want smart people. I wish more scientists ran and got elected. Unfortunately scientists are not usually personable enough to get elected. There's a reason lots of lawyers get elected and it's not their knowledge of the constitution/politics. It's because they know how to talk.