USC tailback to miss season

Article

LOS ANGELES -- Southern California tailback Hershel Dennis, who entered spring practice No. 1 on the depth chart, has torn ligaments in his left knee and is expected to miss the 2006 season.

Dennis was injured in practice Tuesday, apparently trying to cut on the wet artificial turf at USC's Cromwell Field. An MRI taken Wednesday night revealed the damage.

The fifth-year senior tore ligaments in the same knee in December 2004, had surgery the following month and sat out last season. USC coach Pete Carroll said after practice Thursday that the school would look into applying for a sixth year of eligibility for Dennis. A date wasn't immediately set for surgery.

Running back Desmond Reed, who played as a backup last season, will also miss the season, ESPN's Joe Schad reports.

Reed injured his ACL in last season's game against Notre Dame.

Dennis started every game as a sophomore in 2003 -- ahead of then-freshmen Reggie Bush and LenDale White.

Dennis was the only experienced tailback participating in spring practice. Reed and Michael Coleman both played as backups last season. Coleman is also recovering from an operation, his on a hip.

Chauncy Washington, who has been academically ineligible the past two seasons and isn't participating in spring practice, hopes to play next fall. He is currently taking classes at USC.

As things are going, this really looks like the perfect year to come out of L.A. with a W. We will be facing a team that has its youth...last year teams faced our youth...but now, our last years youth becomes our vets and ready to go in full force action next season. This is going to be an exciting season...

As things are going, this really looks like the perfect year to come out of L.A. with a W. We will be facing a team that has its youth...last year teams faced our youth...but now, our last years youth becomes our vets and ready to go in full force action next season. This is going to be an exciting season...

I cant freaking wait. I have a really good gut feeling about the upcoming season. Man I hope I am right.

Wow, they are like the green bay packers of college teams...

I live out here and I have a few buddies that went to usc so I hear all the rheteric - They still have alot of players - I cringe when I read these people posting were gonna beat the sh#t out of everybody. You can't get cocky - I have 20 tickets for the sc game and I'm gonna take a beating from my buddies if we lose. I think we can win but it's gonna take a near perfect game - Remember the majortity of these kids come from LA where there's more kids in the school than some towns in NEBRASKA so the compitition is fierce out here - sc is not gonna lay down, We just need to be better prepared than sc. :restore2

A lot of people are not giving Nebraska a chance against USC. I think the game is winnable. USC has a lot of holes to fill and we are playing them early in the season. Look at Nebraska the last couple of years, they were complete different teams early in the season compared to late in the season. It takes time for teams to "jell". If we played USC late in the season, I think it would be a very tough game, but early in the season the game is winnable. Nebraska spent all of last year jelling, and USC is young and needs the season to jell after their big 3 or 4 or 5 have left for bigger leagues.