Temp check: 7-5

The posting about the "Osborne method/Delaney method," is what upsets me about some Husker fans. That was long ago, we tried to follow up those methods with Osborne hand picking which both got fired.

It is 2016. The last time Nebraska won anything worth noting was in 1999 with Frank Solich.

We can celebrate the past but don't become a prisoner of it. The past shouldn't dictate what one should do in the present and future.

So many things have changed since Osborne left (literally people's fascination with him is creepy) in both the NCAA and the game of football. There is no guarantee things would work now as they did, obviously we will never know because the situations will never be the same.

Let's just move on from the past and live in the now.

It was abandoning that method in 2003 that put Nebraksa off of the rails. And more of the same in 2014.

Reality is, even if someone believes "things have changed" in a meaningful way (they haven't), that doesn't mean we should be chasing our tails trying to be like Alabama and USC.

We should recommit to the principles/fundamentals that made NU successful in the first place.

and those would be?

The posting about the "Osborne method/Delaney method," is what upsets me about some Husker fans. That was long ago, we tried to follow up those methods with Osborne hand picking which both got fired.

It is 2016. The last time Nebraska won anything worth noting was in 1999 with Frank Solich.

We can celebrate the past but don't become a prisoner of it. The past shouldn't dictate what one should do in the present and future.

So many things have changed since Osborne left (literally people's fascination with him is creepy) in both the NCAA and the game of football. There is no guarantee things would work now as they did, obviously we will never know because the situations will never be the same.

It was abandoning that method in 2003 that put Nebraksa off of the rails. And more of the same in 2014.

Reality is, even if someone believes "things have changed" in a meaningful way (they haven't), that doesn't mean we should be chasing our tails trying to be like Alabama and USC.

We should recommit to the principles/fundamentals that made NU successful in the first place.

and those would be?

How old are you? Want to know so I understand how much history I need to explain.

and those would be?

How old are you? Want to know so I understand how much history I need to explain.

been watchin prob before you were born 64yr old

and those would be?

been watchin prob before you were born 64yr old

You're correct. You have. So that surprises me that you wouldn't understand the fundamentals/principals Devaney and Osborne lived by when building Nebraska into a powerhouse program.

I'll try to find some links to documentaries on YouTube. They lay out their strategies pretty well.

Because we were talking about "transition" and the other bs excuse for last year "rebuilding"...

In 1961 Bill Jennings was our head coach... and Nebraska went 3-6-1 that year.

Jennings was fired and Bob Devaney was hired for the 1962 season.

Bob Devaney's first season at Nebraska -1962 - he took the Nebraska football team to a 9-2 record !

In 1963 Devaney and Nebraska were 10-1... 1964 = 9-2... 1965 = 10-1.

No "transition" or "rebuilding" excuses were necessary. We had hired a great coach and the hiring of a great coach had an immediate affect on our program.

None of what came after would have ever been possible without hiring a great coach in the first place. Hiring Bob Devaney then was the equivalent of Ohio State hiring Urban Meyer a few years back. Nebraska's run of success started with that great hire of a great coach... Bob Devaney... after the 1961 season. His impact on our program was immediate.

We operate in the exact same football world as every other team. We need to hire great coaches at Nebraska. We need to stop this nonsense of hiring mediocre coaches and stop the nonsense of pretending that we "make" coaches. We don't "make" coaches... we hire coaches just like everyone else.

18 years

You guys know not all success stories happen overnight right? Like sometimes it takes a little wait?

Lemme make it simple for ya. Mike Riley is going to be here this year, and likely next year regardless of how this season shakes out. So ya may as well get used to it.

You guys know not all success stories happen overnight right? Like sometimes it takes a little wait?

Lemme make it simple for ya. Mike Riley is going to be here this year, and likely next year regardless of how this season shakes out. So ya may as well get used to it.

What "guys"? Only one person in this thread is advocating firing Riley right now, and even that hasn't been explicitly said.

If Riley wins 9 next year, I'll be happy and he'll deserve more time. I just wish he had more gas in the tank to allow for the time that may be required for him and his staff to figure out how to win a championship.

• Fire 1

"18 years"

The thing is, if we don't can Solich in the mid 00s, we probably have a 6 or so year wait between conf championships, considering how bad the B12 became during the 00s.

It was the foolhardy "fire and forget" method to coaching searches that got us into trouble in the first place.

What "guys"? Only one person in this thread is advocating firing Riley right now, and even that hasn't been explicitly said.

If Riley wins 9 next year, I'll be happy and he'll deserve more time. I just wish he had more gas in the tank to allow for the time that may be required for him and his staff to figure out how to win a championship.

No one has advocated that yet.

Most people are waiting to see how the coming season plays out.

"18 years"

The thing is, if we don't can Solich in the mid 00s, we probably have a 6 or so year wait between conf championships, considering how bad the B12 became during the 00s.

It was the foolhardy "fire and forget" method to coaching searches that got us into trouble in the first place.

Fairy tale... make believe.

That's far too rational and I like it.

The pissing contests need to stop.

A lot of people like to say that the last play - or a play near the end of the game - won or lost the game. This is true in the sense that nothing that happened after that particular play could have changed the outcome.

However, it is equally true that different outcomes of other plays earlier in the game had at least as much effect (if not more) on the outcome of the game as that last play did.

Much of the focus gets put on the last play because that's the last chance. But no one play is the sole determinant of who wins our loses. It only may have the final say in who wins or loses.

So both sides are "correct." It just depends on your frame of reference and what you want to focus on.

Completely agree. I really hate it when people focus on the final plays of game. A final play may decide the ultimate outcome, but a ton of variables came into play prior to that to set up the ultimate ending.

For example, a dropped pass here, a missed block that leads to a TFL or bad vision by a back on a running play all has an impact. Every single play impacts the game, even if the final ramifications are hard to see.

The ending matters, but so does everything else up to that point. My coaches always used to harp on this.

• Fire 1

"18 years"

This has virtually nothing to do with Frank Solich.

The nebr. way used to be play hard nosed D and develope solid offensive lines, and then be stronger and out coach most teams. That worked pretty damn good. Eventually teams with great team speed would expose us, so Osborne said I have to get me some of that. So he recruited some questionable characters but we got the speed we needed for the 90's run. I am condensing all of this so keep up.

Then Tom retires and bring on the frankie show. Well Frankie was decent but he was never going to be Tom, so he had to go. So we bring in Calahan, who actually had a lot of Offensive experience but had noo idea how the college game worked. So we get rid of him and enters pelini who was a good defensive mind when he had talent but mediocre when he did not, but the chance of him ever becoming an accomplished championship coach at this level was almost nil, so he had to go. Enter Smilin Mike, man if you don't like smiling mike there is something wrong with you. Now after watching last yr and his whole coaching resume and I was a betting man I would bet that mike and crew are going to suffer the same fate as the last 3. I could go into a lot of details why I don't think Mike will bring championship ball here but just to name a few, 1) Offensive line when was the last time we were anything more than average, now take note here "we will never be remotely successful without way better line coaching and play! 2) Defense, do you honestly think banker is the guy to bring us anything more than an average at best defense, hmmmmmm I think not, and to make it worse Mike will not cut him loose. The result is almost inevitable. If we had somehow managed to replace tom with a proven winner back in the day, well who knows where we would be. We went from the NE "way" to lost in the wilderness. If you take emotion out of the equation and just look at things , I think you would agree.