2015 B1G Payouts

According to the Big Ten’s 2015 fiscal year tax statement, Nebraska picked up nearly $19.83 million, while Rutgers received $10.449 million. Those numbers represent projected earnings from their previous conferences at the time they joined the Big Ten.

However, those numbers are significantly less than what Maryland received. The Terrapins took in $24.125 million in Big Ten revenue in 2015, about $4.3 million more than Nebraska and about $14.68 million more than Rutgers. Maryland’s number is based off its likely proceeds as an Atlantic Coast Conference member.

Nebraska, which joined July 1, 2011, will be a fully integrated Big Ten member on July 1, 2017. Maryland and Rutgers became official members on July 1, 2014. They will become fully vested partners in 2020.

The league’s remaining 11 members all cleared between $32.41 million and $32.54 million from the Big Ten in fiscal year 2015. Iowa earned $32.433 million.

Link

I'm wondering what the plan is for our increased revenue. There must be one and I assume at least a few of those dollars go into the football program. Perhaps higher coaches salaries? More support staff?

Assuming some of those extra do go into the football program, I can't help but think it helps us be more competitive, if only slightly.

I'm wondering what the plan is for our increased revenue. There must be one and I assume at least a few of those dollars go into the football program. Perhaps higher coaches salaries? More support staff?

Assuming some of those extra do go into the football program, I can't help but think it helps us be more competitive, if only slightly.

Well it hasn't worked for 3-5 Big Ten schools.

Well it hasn't worked for 3-5 Big Ten schools.

There is a distinct difference. With the exception of Rutgers and Maryland, all of the other schools started getting a ton of money at the same time. Since we've been in the Big 10 we've received just a fraction of the money the other B1G schools have which has disadvantaged us. Starting in 2017 we're going to be playing on the same level. We'll no longer be at a disadvantage, and that has to make us more competitive, if only slightly.

Hopefully a good amount of it goes towards the student athletes across the board, even if it isn't explicitly monetary.

I'll make a bold prediction that the money won't be used to lower tuition.

Or significantly lower the donation amount to buy season tickets

Or significantly lower the donation amount to buy season tickets

I don't think it will probably happen. But I actually think it will get talked about.

I noticed already at the Spring Game that they were making a pretty concerted effort to push season tickets - they were expecting soft demand. And now they've put quite a bit into advertising the ones still available.

They did lower some of the donations for "older" seats when the East Stadium Expansion opened. I had seats in South Stadium but moved to East when it expanded. But the seats I used to have in South now require less of a donation then when I had them. So it's not out of the question.

And a lot of the seats that are still available don't require much of a donation anyway - relatively speaking. A lot of them are $150-250 per seat. So they could basically do away with the donation for quite a few of the lower-donation seats without costing themselves much money. Maybe get some newer buyers in the door.