Fall Camp Position Battles - Linebackers

Starters: Senior middle linebacker Josh Banderas. … At outside linebacker: pick two between senior Michael Rose-Ivey, sophomore Dedrick Young and junior Marcus Newby. (The third guy will still play a ton).

Backups: Junior Chris Weber, who ranked sixth on the team with 49 tackles last year, will work behind Banderas, Riley said. … Said Riley: "Luke Gifford has had a great offseason physically." The sophomore from Lincoln missed the second half of last season with a hip injury. … Sophomore Tyrin Ferguson and redshirt freshman Mohamed Barry seem like candidates to at least make some special teams contributions — though Riley didn't mention either this week.

OWH

Newby is going to be the starter this year...I really think that

Who does he beat out. Young or rose. I think Newby is a stud athlete but young is a monster and rose is the most consistent LB we have

Yeah, I think he has mainly been working behind Young but I think Young is going to be really good. I think Newby will have a better chance to take snaps away from MRI, especially since MRI seems to have trouble staying healthy.

From Sam:

A robust unit that could start five guys — Josh Banderas, Marcus Newby, Michael Rose-Ivey, Chris Weber and Dedrick Young — in a variety of combinations and still be tough. Because of Rose-Ivey’s knee strain, suffered on the first day of full pads, Newby and Young have worked together and looked fleet.

Both are faster — Newby was already fast — and more instinctive in their reactions to the offense. Young wasn’t great on passing downs last year — whether it was rushing the passer or trying to cover in his zone — but he’ll be better at that this year. Banderas is headed for a 100-tackle season.

And here’s the thing: Outside of that top five, NU could probably get by with playing Luke Gifford, Brad Simpson, Tyrin Ferguson and Mohamed Barry and not lose too much. That’s how developed the second- and third-team linebackers have become in a short time. And of the true freshman linebackers in Saturday’s scrimmage, Pernell Jefferson made a few nice plays.

Position coach Trent Bray won’t be easy for Nebraska to retain in years to come.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/mckewon-husker-defensive-coordinator-mark-banker-wants-to-be-aggressive/article_847c666a-af93-5a09-a7b1-7144707fca82.html

• Fire 1

• 2 weeks later...

Who can help: Senior middle linebacker Josh Banderas has been on the cusp of excellence for several years; he needs only to stay healthy in 2016 and he should top 100 tackles. Michael Rose-Ivey’s natural instincts for diagnosing plays and his good tackling will serve the Huskers well as long as he stays healthy; he missed a whole season with a knee injury and much of last season with a groin problem. Dedrick Young had 61 tackles as a true freshman, and he’s lost weight and gained speed as a sophomore. Marcus Newby is quick, good in pass coverage and an improving blitzer. Chris Weber is Banderas’ backup — he’ll play a lot on special teams anyway — while Luke Gifford is a hybrid athlete who could help in a variety of spots. Don’t overlook youngsters Mohamed Barry and Tyrin Ferguson.

OWH