Tommy Armstrong's Passing Game Breakdown vs. Fresno

Im more worried about Wyomings ability to stop the run than Oregons. That's a struggling defense up there in Eugene. Lots of work need done on that. Wyoming on the other hand was in pure shut down mode.

I'm kind of hoping to see some screen passes to Moore, and possibly a bubble screen to Newby this weekend.

I'm not worried about showing Oregon or Ohio State or Wisconsin our playbook. I think the game this weekend needs to be about creating a template to be used against those three teams above.

We are horrible in the screen game

I'm not really putting this on TA but it is baffling how absolutely terrible we are at running screens for a team that apparently works on them quite a bit.

I understand that TA is not great at throwing the screen pass, but I wonder how successful screen passes are going to be against d-lines who probably play a little more cautious on the pass rush against Armstrong. With Tommy, pass rushers may not be as aggressive getting up field, because of his scrambling ability. Therefore, the spacing needed to get the ball to the back isn't always there.

I saw 3 bad passes:

Deep one to Westy wasn't single coverage, there was safety help that met the ball there. Sure he was under pressure but that doesn't mean you lob it up. In close games, those hurt.

Pass to Newby over middle. Gotta hit that one. Had middle of field completely cleared out and our RB one vs one with an overmatched LB. That's a 10 yard+ easy one.

Pass to Ozigbo. Sure was a nice 5 yard gain, but he waited till Ozigbo was about to out of bounds to throw it. He had clear space if he gets it to him sooner we get 10 yards. Not a huge mistake but a little play your 5th year Sr QB has to make.

Thought both deep balls to Moore we're thrown exceptional, DB just made a heckuva play on 1st. Both sideline routes to Moore and Morgan were perfect. Agree on Carter route, TA did the right thing. Screen was done from beginning.

No way that safety can get to the ball, he's still running to the spot when the ball arrives. He can make a tackle if Westy catches that ball but that's about it.

Disagree, from what I remember. But without a clip of it there is really no way for us to know. Maybe you're right, but I remember double coverage.

Play starts at 1:00:35 on this video:

There's a guy a few yards away, but I don't think he can a play on that ball. Closer than I remembered it though.