Tommy Armstrong's Passing Game Breakdown vs. Fresno

Good review. I've only watched it live but it sure didn't seem to me that TA was struggling to throw the ball well. I was just giddy that Langs was sticking with the run even though it was working. I did think Tommy's arm strength looked very good, epsecially that 23 yard out to Moore in the 2nd (I think that was the one) he threw that on a rope while rolling out. Not sure how anybody can complain about his passing in this game. It's his decision making and getting through his progressions that have been the problem historically. I'm sure we'll see more of those problems but I was more than pleased with his performance against Fresno.

• Fire 1

With only 10 official passing attempts by Armstrong vs. Fresno State, there seems to be a lot of concern about Langsdorf being afraid to use Tommy in the passing game, and Tommy continuing to be poor in the passing game. I am not saying either of those opinions are wrong, but I did want to go back through the game and look at all the passing attempts by Tommy and put in my point of view. Now, I am not a QB coach or offensive coordinator, and I am not using the All-22 view which gives coaches the best view on seeing the game. But, I think this breakdown is helpful.

Excellent analysis. I pretty much agree with you.

But I would point out that the concern over Langsdorf being afraid of Tommy isn't really an opinion. It's pretty much what Langsdorf said himself. So perhaps Langsdorf is looking into things a little deeper as to what else could or should have been going on on some of those plays.

I thought the long pass down the sideline to Moore was a tremendous throw. On the run, about a 40 yard toss (maybe more?) and dropped it right in the bread basket. but the defender made a great play. That was the only option on that play. Everything else was covered. It was either that or throw it away really.

Mixed feelings on it otherwise. But the bottom line is, we didnt see really enough to have any real sense of where Tommy is at right now. He completed some passes, and he missed a couple. The TD to Moore was pretty well underthrown, which is fine beins Moore had his guy beat by 10 yards. And, we took the decision making away from him. Didnt put much on his shoulders. So it's really hard to tell. But it's gonna be interesting when we get to Big ten play, against 8-10 in the box, how we'll be able to cope with that. Will our defense be solid enought by then to just hunker down and shorten the game?

Nicely done Husk.

My big takeaway from the game was that I felt like Tommy wasn't quite on the same page with his playmakers. That and the O Line needs to mature to give those guys more protection and gaps.

After the UCLA game and now this, the Run game looks to be back. Well, that is until Oregon comes to town. I think we see more ground and pound againdt WYO this week and love seeing Ozigbo as the guy who has already stepped up.

As for Tommy, I don't see him making some huge leap this season based off an incredibly small sample thus far. But one could argue he is making better decisions so far.

Im more worried about Wyomings ability to stop the run than Oregons. That's a struggling defense up there in Eugene. Lots of work need done on that. Wyoming on the other hand was in pure shut down mode.

I think we have a strong enough stable of RB's we will simply wear them down by the second half. I would say though that we see double the pass attempts by Tommy this week.

With only 10 official passing attempts by Armstrong vs. Fresno State, there seems to be a lot of concern about Langsdorf being afraid to use Tommy in the passing game, and Tommy continuing to be poor in the passing game. I am not saying either of those opinions are wrong, but I did want to go back through the game and look at all the passing attempts by Tommy and put in my point of view. Now, I am not a QB coach or offensive coordinator, and I am not using the All-22 view which gives coaches the best view on seeing the game. But, I think this breakdown is helpful.

Excellent analysis. I pretty much agree with you.

But I would point out that the concern over Langsdorf being afraid of Tommy isn't really an opinion. It's pretty much what Langsdorf said himself. So perhaps Langsdorf is looking into things a little deeper as to what else could or should have been going on on some of those plays.

Yes, Langsdorf did show concern over Tommy. Who knows what Langsdorf is thinking or seeing from his eye in the sky. I think Langsdorf will always be uncomfortable with Tommy because Tommy struggles in the go-to plays that Langsdorf and Riley want to run. Conversely, Tommy excels in plays that Langsdorf and Riley don't have much experience designing and calling.

Im more worried about Wyomings ability to stop the run than Oregons. That's a struggling defense up there in Eugene. Lots of work need done on that. Wyoming on the other hand was in pure shut down mode.

I'm kind of hoping to see some screen passes to Moore, and possibly a bubble screen to Newby this weekend.

I'm not worried about showing Oregon or Ohio State or Wisconsin our playbook. I think the game this weekend needs to be about creating a template to be used against those three teams above.

I'm kind of hoping to see some screen passes to Moore, and possibly a bubble screen to Newby this weekend.

I'm not worried about showing Oregon or Ohio State or Wisconsin our playbook. I think the game this weekend needs to be about creating a template to be used against those three teams above.

I dont think we can throw screens. The one time we tried saturday, it was a complete circus. Our bubble game was shredded from the playbook after some embarrassing execution against Mich St. And this it's why I feel how I feel. you would think that with a qb that struggles with downfield progressions, that screens and bubble would be ideal, esp with the kind of athletes we can put on the edge in any pers grouping. But the problem is simple throwing ability. Our qb also lacks the necessary touch and accuracy for such throws. It's just a double whammy that kinda has this staff handcuffed right now in offensive playcalling. That's something that was pretty telling is that Tommy still struggles with any sort of touch on the ball. This is who he is.

I dont think we can throw screens. The one time we tried saturday, it was a complete circus. Our bubble game was shredded from the playbook after some embarrassing execution against Mich St. And this it's why I feel how I feel. you would think that with a qb that struggles with downfield progressions, that screens and bubble would be ideal, esp with the kind of athletes we can put on the edge in any pers grouping. But the problem is simple throwing ability. Our qb also lacks the necessary touch and accuracy for such throws. It's just a double whammy that kinda has this staff handcuffed right now in offensive playcalling. That's something that was pretty telling is that Tommy still struggles with any sort of touch on the ball. This is who he is.

I tend to agree. It's really frustrating.

It's kind of why the Michigan State game and the bowl game felt almost like miracles. Yes, we established the run first and foremost. There's no question there.

But we probably won because Tommy was "on" in both of those games.

We *have to* find high-percentage ways to get the ball to Westy and Moore down the stretch. I think Langsdorf is in the right mindset this season to design game plans based around what we're capable of, not just want he'd prefer to do. Those fears seem laid to rest. But honestly, I cringe thinking about lining up against Wisconsin.

One thing that bothers me with a lot of fans and their critique about Tommy is that they refuse to count in Tommy's run game. On Saturday,, Tommy had 11 runs for 43 yards According to the play by play, 6 of Tommy's 11 run attempts went for 3 yards or more. To me, those are like completions in the short passing game. So, if I add the 11 run attempts and 6 positive runs to Tommy's passing stats, his passing stats would be: 11 of 21 (52.3%) for 151 yards, 3 TD's, no turnovers, and no sacks taken. The adjusted "completion %" is low, and I would like Tommy's total offense to be at least 200 total yards. But, in a vanilla scheme against Fresno, Tommy's stats are more efficient than first glance would show.