OWH: Kieron Williams Transforms from Backup to Playmaker

Mavric

Makes me wonder if there's a freshman or a few that are being overlooked right now. Particularly on the o-line. I know, I know, the coaches know best.

He def should have played more last year. He was better than Cockrell - he even played very well on ST all season

But you guys have to realize that just cuz he's better NOW than Cockrell was THEN, doesnt translate into he was better then than Cockrell was then. I know it's hard but fans should get past the whole knowing personell better than the coaches thing when we spend a tiny fraction of the time with the players and evaluating them as the coaches do.

If someone has the time please go find my posts last year - I was calling for him to play over Cockrell who was not a good player IMO

That's fine. but id doesnt change a thing. Cockrell not being good doesnt necessarily mean Williams was better. We fans do not know.

I'm not saying he would play last year like he is right now, but people really didn't think he should have gotten more looks? Was obvious from my view of watching the games

I'm left to believe that Cockrell had some dirt on both this staff and the previous one. I don't know why either staff played him as much as they did. :blink:

Generall speaking, I agree with Count. However it's also naive to think that coaches don't have a bit of a "favorite" here and there for any number of reasons - seniority, better attitude, etc. Not saying you sit Nate Gerry and play Charles Jackson just because you like Jackson's haircut but if two guys are close you may like one thing a little better and live with not being quite as good at something else.

And I don't think that's too far out of the realm of possibilities with Kieron. He didn't get a Blackshirt to start the season despite being a starter in the first game. And he didn't get a Blackshirt after that game despite having a great game and still being a starter. There was something odd about that. Not saying malicious, just odd. Doesn't add up.

And some guys just play better then you expect them to when they get in a game. Maybe they don't look quite as good in practice for whatever reason but can translate to the game field better.

Agree 100%. And it's not about a doghouse theory, but a favorites theory. And I think that falls perfectly in line with my thoughts on how coaches spend so much more time with and analyzing the players.

It shouldn't be surprising that coaches will have favorites, based on players' attitude or work ethic (along with talent). I used to coach some youth baseball, and I sure as hell liked the kids who didn't give me grief and who would follow instructions. Coaches generally want those kids to succeed because they are "doing things the right way".

On the other hand, coaches will also give kids with a lot of athletic ability and talent more leeway and allow them to get away with things because the coaches also need talented players. It's rare to find the most athletic players on the team are also the most dedicated and coachable. Those kids generally turn out to be the stud players in the long run.

Makes me wonder if there's a freshman or a few that are being overlooked right now. Particularly on the o-line. I know, I know, the coaches know best.

He def should have played more last year. He was better than Cockrell - he even played very well on ST all season

But you guys have to realize that just cuz he's better NOW than Cockrell was THEN, doesnt translate into he was better then than Cockrell was then. I know it's hard but fans should get past the whole knowing personell better than the coaches thing when we spend a tiny fraction of the time with the players and evaluating them as the coaches do.

If someone has the time please go find my posts last year - I was calling for him to play over Cockrell who was not a good player IMO

That's fine. but id doesnt change a thing. Cockrell not being good doesnt necessarily mean Williams was better. We fans do not know.

I'm not saying he would play last year like he is right now, but people really didn't think he should have gotten more looks? Was obvious from my view of watching the games

I'm left to believe that Cockrell had some dirt on both this staff and the previous one. I don't know why either staff played him as much as they did. :blink:

Generall speaking, I agree with Count. However it's also naive to think that coaches don't have a bit of a "favorite" here and there for any number of reasons - seniority, better attitude, etc. Not saying you sit Nate Gerry and play Charles Jackson just because you like Jackson's haircut but if two guys are close you may like one thing a little better and live with not being quite as good at something else.

And I don't think that's too far out of the realm of possibilities with Kieron. He didn't get a Blackshirt to start the season despite being a starter in the first game. And he didn't get a Blackshirt after that game despite having a great game and still being a starter. There was something odd about that. Not saying malicious, just odd. Doesn't add up.

And some guys just play better then you expect them to when they get in a game. Maybe they don't look quite as good in practice for whatever reason but can translate to the game field better.

Agree 100%. And it's not about a doghouse theory, but a favorites theory. And I think that falls perfectly in line with my thoughts on how coaches spend so much more time with and analyzing the players.

I don't think it is on purpose or anything, but I think that is part of coaching that sometimes gets missed. You think player A looks better than player B. but you as a coach turn out to be wrong. I think a player being a SR. is usually the main reason this happens. I also feel the staff came in and didn't want to ruffle too many feathers with the guys who had more PT. Two other examples were Jones and Kalu -- Davie and Jonathan Rose were getting beat week after week until they finally made the change.

Last year was last year.

I'm glad K Williams ascent to playmaker has correlated to a 7-0 start.

Sometimes when the light turns on it glows bright. Seems this way for him especially. Although he shoulda had a 3rd pick against Purdue.

It adds up if you look at it from the perspective that the reason Kieron started the first game was because Nate Gerry was suspended. He then earned his blackshirt along with more playing time by continuing to play well.

Keep killing it Kieron, you've been fun to watch this season! GBR

Last year was last year.

I'm glad K Williams ascent to playmaker has correlated to a 7-0 start.

Sometimes when the light turns on it glows bright. Seems this way for him especially. Although he shoulda had a 3rd pick against Purdue.

Ahh, the old "shoulda" stats.

Exactly. This year he's making his plays. Maybe last year he "shoulda" been making them too.